FUE OR FUT?

31 minutes ago, Jared said:

Which one would you choose and why?

This questions got too many variables and it's simple to ask but to answer completely depends on the individual hair loss situation of somebody. 

You cannot blindly say one or the other but i do think it's been scientifically established that FUT and then FUE are proven to probably yield the highest long term grafts. 

Hasson and Wong would probably be the best example of people off the top i can think of to demonstrate this and they now do both. 

Dr Zarev however and probably Dr Bansal and Dr Sethi at Eugenix are pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved with FUE and body hair in the mix. I do think Dr Zarev is just in another dimension with his ability for high Norwood cases and how he laser focuses things. It's impressive. 

Just now, Jared said:

JC71

Did you get a HT? If so, what method?

Both. X2 FUT and X3 FUE. And next will be BHT, well Beard grafts to be specific. All methods have their place. Much less FUT being performed these days. Why the question though? Are you looking for yourself? If so its going to be specific to your particular needs..: 

• Thanks 1

I am a big proponent of FUE, however, i have to admit, these larger FUE cases we see 5-7k grafts, even from top clinics have more risk for younger patients, i would say under 40 with advanced NW5-6 is huge risk. Why do you think some top FUE clinics would not accept you if you are not on fin or dut? It's because to not over harvest, and limited donor in advanced Norwoods, they often extract from non safe zones, no other way around it, so finasteride will help slow the miniturization of those folicles. We don't know yet how such large FUEs will hold up 10-15 yrs from now. But with FUT we do ( if strip is from safe zone). 

With that said, im still booked for FUE in Summer, i accept the risk am in early 40s .

• Like 1

FUE of course. Many clinics use beard grafts to maximise donor area such as Eugenix, Lorenzo, HLC, so there is no any reason to choose FUT.

FUT is a painful procedure and has many possibilities to leave you a big scar in your donor, and also the recovery time in FUT is much more longer than fue procedure. Most clinics tend to stop doing FUT, cause it has many disadvantages.

Edited by Gramatik
  • Like 1

Honestly I think today, I’d personally never do FUT, but that’s just me.  Too many top end clinics are these days managing massive FUE sessions with great results.  And it will only probably get better.

• Like 1

Check out my journey here:

14 hours ago, Jared said:

It depends on each individual. There is no one size fits all answer. There are pros and cons to each and depending on the type of hair loss and the type of hair you have, one may be better than the other. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jared said:

I'm getting an FUT later this year and 100 percent happy with my decision. You'll find no end of threads debating the pros and cons but you'll have to give more information about your case if you're seeking advice

• Like 1

FUT just isn’t being performed really in many places these days, mostly in the US/Canada and then somewhere like Hattingen (Swiss) and a few of clinics in India. You haven’t mentioned why your posing the question though, are you deciding for yourself or just have a general interest in asking? 

• Like 1

I had 4 separate FUHT procedures for a grand total of approximately 6,900 grafts and still have one thin scar.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Depends on your expected hair loss pattern and if it would be preferable for you to maximize grafts. I had FUT done and if I could go back in time, I'd do FUE instead. My scar is not the best and I can't shave below an 8 guard at the moment. I plan on trying to minimize my scar someday and when I think about how much it would cost for repairs, it will probably cost the same amount, if not more, of the difference I saved from getting FUT over FUE and the repair may not even be satisfactory or I'd have to go in and get re-SMP'd every few years.