Help - Nighttime Scratching

I’m on day 2 of my HT and last night I woke myself twice. I was gently rubbing one side of my head the first time, and the second time I was gently scratching the hairline. I’m worried I may have damaged the hair, however, I can’t see any hair that has come out. What can I do to prevent nighttime scratching? I’ve even though about handcuffing myself lol.. but that would be terrible in an emergency. 

Wear a baseball cap and sit up.  You can put some support on the neck, (perhaps a travel pillow).

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Coverdale,

It’s always best to avoid scratching the transplanted area especially for the first week or so after surgery. That said, it sounds like you already had a couple episodes where you ended up scratching at night time even though you weren’t aware of it. The truth is, you can’t go back in time so the best you can do is take the necessary action to avoid it from happening again   

Hopefully you didn’t cause any damage when you scratched the hair but if you did, I’m sure it’s likely minimal.  In order to avoid scratching at night time, you can try wearing a loose fitted hat or something like it to bed. That way, if you end up scratching the area, at least it’s better protected.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Wear a loose fitted knit hat that allows lots of air to breathe...and when you have itching sensations, gently rub the outside...also apply an aloe vera enriched cream over your entire scalp before bedtime, it will cool and alleviate the itching significantly!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Put a loose fitting shirt on, and then pull your arms back through the sleeves and keep them at your side while you sleep. You won't be able to reach your head unless you somehow manage to sleepwalk your arms back up your sides and out your shirt sleeves. Almost if not certainly impossible.