NW7 wants to frame the face - realistic goals FUE+SMP ?

I'm 35, started to thin about the age of 20 probably, a friend noticed a bit of scalp on the crown. Otherwise only receded slowly, but still kept a frizzy hairline until 2020, when it rapidly disintegrated. Don't have any historic pictures from behind so now noone knows what the hairloss type was, DPA or MPB. Went with #2 to #3 buzzcuts since at least 5 years now and very happy with, and now it just looks bad without a hairline. I shaved down to #0 but it was even worse... bald & horseshoe.

How many grafts could my donor yield and how many does it need to restore at least the front around the visible ruins of my hairline?

I don't care about the crown, that's luxury now. Ok with subtle SMP for fake density if feasable with my haircolor (dirty-blonde)

EU-based!

Edited by Potemkin

I like your mindset in that the crown is a luxury and all you want back is a framed face. It's good you are thinking this way bc truthfully covering your entire bald area is probably out of the question. As far as the frontal third goes I think it can be pulled off in a conservative approach. 2500 grafts or so. But don't forget you will have to grow your sides and back a bit longer to hide the FUE scars. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SD1984 said:

I like your mindset in that the crown is a luxury and all you want back is a framed face. It's good you are thinking this way bc truthfully covering your entire bald area is probably out of the question. As far as the frontal third goes I think it can be pulled off in a conservative approach. 2500 grafts or so. But don't forget you will have to grow your sides and back a bit longer to hide the FUE scars. 

Thank you! I would do SMP on the scars also if helpful...

Yes, you do have an advanced pattern, and it seems you have realistic expectations.  You have a lot of miniaturized hair that hasn't left the building.  I would encourage you to consider all medical therapies, (Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and Laser), and give them a year.  You could, in the meantime, do an SMP.  A year later, based on results, I would then consider FUE.  It would be nice if you could improve the native hair.

I think of SMP as being monochromatic.  Add hair to it and now is multidimensional.  It will frame you and give you the illusion of having hair.

• Like 2

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

41 minutes ago, Potemkin said:

I would try to avoid Fin given the risk/profit at this stage, but doing Regaine foam already and hoping for Pyrilutamide.

Pyrilutamide still in trial....this might take some time.  It will likely end up being another modality you'll have to do for as long as you want to keep your hair.  I doubt if we'll ever get that magical potion that will resolve hair loss once and for all.  At least not in my lifetime.

Edited by LaserCaps
  • Thanks 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

H&W, Eugenix, or one of the other truly A-rated elite doctors. 

As a NW7, anyone else is wasting your time at best, at worst will make you look worse than baseline and squander the precious little donor you have left.

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 2

• Administrators

You are a very difficult case, hair is on the finer side, retrograde alopecia, high baldness. I would definitely consult with Eugenix, H&W if you can do a megasession strip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...