How Does The Big 3 Stop Hair Loss?

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

I'm interested to hear the communities thoughts, why do you guys think these three drugs are the most effective at stopping hair loss? Or do you think theres another combination more effective? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

11 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I'm interested to hear the communities thoughts, why do you guys think these three drugs are the most effective at stopping hair loss? Or do you think theres another combination more effective? 

the ketoconazole is a far far weaker version of a topical anti androgen like RU but is so weak that it could be comparable to a placebo, minoxidil is an actual growth agonist that increases blood flow to the hairs to offset the damage from androgens but only to an extent and finasteride stops the root cause of androgenic alopecia by supressing DHT

14 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

theres definetly more nuclear options to get an even greater effect of course, like using topical RU or breezula instead of nizoral, with oral dutasteride instead of fin and combining minox with tretinoin + microneedling, but the "big 3" is the best bang for buck protocol when it comes to safety, cost and ease

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Or do you think theres another combination more effective? 

An addition of a topical AA. 

The advocation of microneedling with minoxidil to increase its efficacy, whilst I am not denying there are probably some benefits from microneedling as a treatment in itself, is largely due to the fact that it is helping it go systemic, hence the increased efficacy . . IMO. So for that reason, I would say low dose OM is a more convenient option, if you are aiming to achieve this systemic effect. 

On 2/9/2022 at 4:45 PM, Curious25 said:

An addition of a topical AA. 

The advocation of microneedling with minoxidil to increase its efficacy, whilst I am not denying there are probably some benefits from microneedling as a treatment in itself, is largely due to the fact that it is helping it go systemic, hence the increased efficacy . . IMO. So for that reason, I would say low dose OM is a more convenient option, if you are aiming to achieve this systemic effect. 

This isnt true you can dermaroll on days that you dont apply minox and still get the same benefits

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmokin said:

This isnt true you can dermaroll on days that you dont apply minox and still get the same benefits

Think about what I said , and then think about what you are saying. 

I said, the advocation of microneedling to enhance the efficacy of minoxidil (micro needle first, then apply Minox topically) . . Is basically a process that is designed to increase systemic absorption. 

I also outlined that I do believe micro needling alone (in monotherapy) does probably have some benefits itself, regardless of minoxidil use. 

Tbh , with your proposal of not using minoxidil on days you micro needle ,  I would hypothesise that the systemic absorption of topical applied minoxidil would still be increased up to 3-7 days post micro needling, due to the fact that there is still likely to be open wounds to an extent, present in the scalp. 

Finansteride is the most effective. But not everybody needs it. I am on PRP and stable for 4 years.

I do not think much of Minox or Ket though. Well there is now Minox oral, the jury is still out there for that one I guess.

16 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Think about what I said , and then think about what you are saying. 

I said, the advocation of microneedling to enhance the efficacy of minoxidil (micro needle first, then apply Minox topically) . . Is basically a process that is designed to increase systemic absorption. 

I also outlined that I do believe micro needling alone (in monotherapy) does probably have some benefits itself, regardless of minoxidil use. 

Tbh , with your proposal of not using minoxidil on days you micro needle ,  I would hypothesise that the systemic absorption of topical applied minoxidil would still be increased up to 3-7 days post micro needling, due to the fact that there is still likely to be open wounds to an extent, present in the scalp. 

i do not agree you can dermaroll at depths of up to 1-0.75mm for systemic absorption of topical drugs but these do not reach the stem cells bulge in the hair follicle that triggers hair cell regeneration and the growth of new hair in the hair cycle you have to be at a depth of 1.5mm or more usually to reach the bulge.

the mechanism for dermarolling at 1.5mm relies on the addition of new growth factors to the hair during wound healing and the stimulation of the stem cell bulge in every hair follicle the affect is compounded with minoxidil, it is not just systemic absorption. also your skin heals wounds from dermarolling extremely quickly if it was sizeable in anyway it would scab up in a matter of hours 

Frontiers | An Intrinsic Oscillation of Gene Networks Inside Hair Follicle  Stem Cells: An Additional Layer That Can Modulate Hair Stem Cell Activities  | Cell and Developmental Biology

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, mmokin said:

i do not agree you can dermaroll at depths of up to 1-0.75mm for systemic absorption of topical drugs but these do not reach the stem cells bulge in the hair follicle that triggers hair cell regeneration and the growth of new hair in the hair cycle you have to be at a depth of 1.5mm or more usually to reach the bulge.

the mechanism for dermarolling at 1.5mm relies on the addition of new growth factors to the hair during wound healing and the stimulation of the stem cell bulge in every hair follicle the affect is compounded with minoxidil, it is not just systemic absorption. also your skin heals wounds from dermarolling extremely quickly if it was sizeable in anyway it would scab up in a matter of hours 

Frontiers | An Intrinsic Oscillation of Gene Networks Inside Hair Follicle  Stem Cells: An Additional Layer That Can Modulate Hair Stem Cell Activities  | Cell and Developmental Biology

I did have some thickening using Minoxidil for almost a year, could Dermarolling add Regrowth to that if combined with the Minoxidil?

15 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I did have some thickening using Minoxidil for almost a year, could Dermarolling add Regrowth to that if combined with the Minoxidil?

yeh its always going to better than just minoxidl on its own i reccomend using a microneedling pen like derminator 2 at 1.5mm setting once a week 

42 minutes ago, mmokin said:

yeh its always going to better than just minoxidl on its own i reccomend using a microneedling pen like derminator 2 at 1.5mm setting once a week 

I know alot of the majority of great results with minoxidil come with Microneedling, howeaver from my understanding it seems like there wasnt enough cientifical evidence that could put Microneedling on the same page with Minoxidil and Finasteride so I holded it off. Is there any specific dermaroller that I should use?

1 hour ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I know alot of the majority of great results with minoxidil come with Microneedling, howeaver from my understanding it seems like there wasnt enough cientifical evidence that could put Microneedling on the same page with Minoxidil and Finasteride so I holded it off. Is there any specific dermaroller that I should use?

i already said use the derminator 2 and the thing with microneedling is that it is side effect free unlike finasteride, there are no drawbacks to it apart from pain

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mmokin said:

i already said use the derminator 2 and the thing with microneedling is that it is side effect free unlike finasteride, there are no drawbacks to it apart from pain

Sorry,  I didnt properly read your coment. Yeah, I always contemplated doing it, it just scared me making things worse because of possible inflamation but doing it once a week should be fine hopefully. I was thinking about using a normal Dermaroller or Dr Pen from Ebay but will see if I can find the derminator.