Feeling tempted to book in a transplant after only speaking with two doctors

After having some reesearch with some surgeons I really liked the proposal of De Freitas at this stage with 3000 grafts. Howeaver since this would be my first surgery I feel conflicted about booking it now vs not since I havent consulted many more doctors and dont really know the alternatives. 

I understand that De Freitas is a top rated surgeon but part of me feels that I havent really evaluated all my options so to speak. The problem is that there is a lot of search for him and if I end up wanting to book him in I might be in a long time for waiting since the last time I spoke he already had bookings up till May, which would be the earliest I would be able to see him.

The thing is that I want to make the best decision as possible for my hair transplant and being a NWV with diffuse all over on my top this has been something that has stressed me a lot about. 

Have been on Finasteride for 2 years and Minoxidil with one, some slight improvements but I believe that only with a transplant I will be able to get my desired results, which is getting a longer hairstyle. 

Just searching for some advise on how to avoid rushing into a HT and making sure I can take the best decision as possible regarding my situation.

Ideally you should as many consults with good and elite docs as possible. More opinions can only help you make an informed decision. 

That being said, if you only have 1 or 2 consults and they are with elite level docs such as De Freitas, there is no reason you can't stop your search then and there if you really hit it off and truly feel comfortable with his communication and responses. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

Ideally you should as many consults with good and elite docs as possible. More opinions can only help you make an informed decision. 

That being said, if you only have 1 or 2 consults and they are with elite level docs such as De Freitas, there is no reason you can't stop your search then and there if you really hit it off and truly feel comfortable with his communication and responses. 

The responses sometimes take a while because I have to message them in WhatsApp so I can get them back through mail, howeaver its understandable given the number of queries they have. They seem to have a detailed plan in regards to the intervention and seem to have a clear idea on what they need to do in order to give me the desired results. Ideally my first option would have been Bruno Ferreira, howeaver saddly he isnt available at the moment for any consultations and since I am looking to book something off for the following year, I think Freitas might be the closest thing I get. 

I wanted from the start to avoid hair mils and any other dubious clinics, so my shortlist is only summed up with the best. Actually it was Melvin who pointed him out for me and I am glad I had contact. It seems lots of people got good results from him and the feedback from him has been the best. 

I think I am also afraid of having the so called "second thoughts" after the booking since in any way I will be required to wait a year until I go and have the surgery. 

Edited by TheGreatPretender

46 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I think I am also afraid of having the so called "second thoughts" after the booking since in any way I will be required to wait a year until I go and have the surgery. 

You will have second thoughts regardless of who you pick. 

• Administrators

Dr. De Freitas is one of the best surgeons in the world, but still, it is best to slow down and research slowly. Do not rush or act on impulse. Take your time and use this community as a resource for research.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

22 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Yeah, you might be right. How would you reassure yourself that you picked the best option in the end?

the honest truth is you can have an unsatisfactory result with any doctor in the world, even an elite one. But with an elite doc, the chances are high you will be happy. 

Anytime you spend tens of thousands on something there will be at least some buyer's remorse, so expect that feeling no matter who you choose. 

There are seriously only 20 or so peer-vetted docs in the entire planet who consistently deliver great results. As long as you go to one of these doctors, you will have as much reassurance as you can possibly get.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

the honest truth is you can have an unsatisfactory result with any doctor in the world, even an elite one. But with an elite doc, the chances are high you will be happy. 

Anytime you spend tens of thousands on something there will be at least some buyer's remorse, so expect that feeling no matter who you choose. 

There are seriously only 20 or so peer-vetted docs in the entire planet who consistently deliver great results. As long as you go to one of these doctors, you will have as much reassurance as you can possibly get.

Yeah, saddly well aware of that. I have been fighting Hair Loss enough time to understand that there are no guarantees per say on this field. 

But I guess its like you said, if the person that takes care of my head is a someone well informed and trained it is likely that I will end up happy with my results.

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Dr. De Freitas is one of the best surgeons in the world, but still, it is best to slow down and research slowly. Do not rush or act on impulse. Take your time and use this community as a resource for research.

I think it is also the age factor coming down on me.

I have been suffering an aggressive form of diffuse thinning since I hit my 20th birthday, so all my twenties have been passed depressing and waking up thinking about this and moaning about it to myself every single day. I have been checking some other clinics that might be worth a shot. 

Bruno Ferreira was someone that I was actually planning to see like I previously mentioned, but he is too busy atm and booked out saddly. 

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Yeah, saddly well aware of that. I have been fighting Hair Loss enough time to understand that there are no guarantees per say on this field. 

But I guess its like you said, if the person that takes care of my head is a someone well informed and trained it is likely that I will end up happy with my results.

I think it is also the age factor coming down on me.

I have been suffering an aggressive form of diffuse thinning since I hit my 20th birthday, so all my twenties have been passed depressing and waking up thinking about this and moaning about it to myself every single day. I have been checking some other clinics that might be worth a shot. 

Bruno Ferreira was someone that I was actually planning to see like I previously mentioned, but he is too busy atm and booked out saddly. 

You’ve been balding for years. So what’s the rush? Researching and consulting slowly will make no difference in the long run, except you’ll have peace of mind knowing you made the right choice.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

12 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You’ve been balding for years. So what’s the rush? Researching and consulting slowly will make no difference in the long run, except you’ll have peace of mind knowing you made the right choice.

True, howeaver I think the more days pass, the more desperate I get simply due to the fact I am in my late twenties (27), so I guess part of my wants to get this "sorted" at least before hitting 30. I dont mind the meds as I already made my peace of having to take them for life. 

Now I just have to chose the clinic and make the right decision which I dont know how long will I take. 

Take your time with this. If it's Dr. Bruno Ferreira that you want, then why not wait? In the mean time, get consultations from other Dr's as well. I hear Dr. Bruno Pinto is very similar to Dr. Ferreira in that he performs the entire surgery. I'd also consider Dr. Basinga if you have the extra money. His wait list isn't nearly as long as some others. 

4 hours ago, JoeMan said:

Take your time with this. If it's Dr. Bruno Ferreira that you want, then why not wait? In the mean time, get consultations from other Dr's as well. I hear Dr. Bruno Pinto is very similar to Dr. Ferreira in that he performs the entire surgery. I'd also consider Dr. Basinga if you have the extra money. His wait list isn't nearly as long as some others. 

I have spared what you would in general for any top rated surgeon, I think Ferreira was my top choice evidently because of Rolandas but also what I have heard from other people in here. Also he is Portuguese and is performing surgeries in Porto which could also leave me an open window in recovering in Lisbon if I need to stay a bit longer since I do own a house in there, another factor that I must consider is that since this isnt the first time I am travelling for a surgery I am planing to take a family member with me during my stay. 

I tried contacting Pinto by submiting a form on his website but havent heard yet, might be worth seeing if I can contact him through WhatsApp. 

At least you're starting with some of the better doctors, albeit it only two.

Being 29 I can relate to you a bit - my initial goal was to have the transplant done before turning 30 but COVID through a spanner in that due to international travel restrictions. I'm also a bit impatient as I'm fairly eager to quit my job and find a new one but I don't want to have my hair procedure while working for a new company because getting the necessary time off work will be difficult and then hiding the transplant during the growth/shedding stages will be even harder. I've realised the 'before 30' goal is silly because I (hopefully) have another 50 years or more to live and an extra 12 months really is not a lot in the whole scheme of things. My head and hair will be visible for the rest of my life so it's important I get this right.

Kind of jealous you've actually been consulted by De Fretias - I've been waiting a few weeks after sending my pictures and details through their online consultation form. I think looking at this forum it's roughly a 2-3 month wait generally. How long did it take you to get a response?

I've consulted with a few other recommended doctor's on this site but right now I'm only really considering Dr Basinga (BHR Clinic) and De Freitas. Right now I don't have a lot to assess De Freitas on since I haven't received a consultation or any communications yet but the results I see on this site just seem too good to ignore, there are just so many home run transplant examples, I think I'd be doing myself disservice if I at least didn't get a consultation from him before deciding on my doctor of choice.

Edited by Viney
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Viney said:

At least you're starting with some of the better doctors, albeit it only two.

Being 29 I can relate to you a bit - my initial goal was to have the transplant done before turning 30 but COVID through a spanner in that due to international travel restrictions. I'm also a bit impatient as I'm fairly eager to quit my job and find a new one but I don't want to have my hair procedure while working for a new company because getting the necessary time off work will be difficult and then hiding the transplant during the growth/shedding stages will be even harder. I've realised the 'before 30' goal is silly because I (hopefully) have another 50 years or more to live and an extra 12 months really is not a lot in the whole scheme of things. My head and hair will be visible for the rest of my life so it's important I get this right.

Kind of jealous you've actually been consulted by De Fretias - I've been waiting a few weeks after sending my pictures and details through their online consultation form. I think looking at this forum it's roughly a 2-3 month wait generally. How long did it take you to get a response?

I've consulted with a few other recommended doctor's on this site but right now I'm only really considering Dr Basinga (BHR Clinic) and De Freitas. Right now I don't have a lot to assess De Freitas on since I haven't received a consultation or any communications yet but the results I see on this site just seem too good to ignore, there are just so many home run transplant examples, I think I'd be doing myself disservice if I at least didn't get a consultation from him before deciding on my doctor of choice.

Agreed with what you said. In my case I have done a lot of diligence when I trully started taking medications and I always wanted to ensure to stay on the safe side of things.

Dont get me wrong they do take a while to respond but I think if you use WhatsApp they can come back to you quickly as they have loads of other requests. 

I have tried contacting Pinto this week but like Ferreira he is also booked out and unavailable for consultations, tough luck. 

17 hours ago, Viney said:

I don't want to have my hair procedure while working for a new company because getting the necessary time off work will be difficult and then hiding the transplant during the growth/shedding stages will be even harder.

I share this sentiment. I honestly dgaf who knows about my HT, coworkers or anyone. But its just hard starting a new job then immediately asking for time off for cosmetic surgery, etc. It makes you come off as a drama queen lol. 

Depending where you work I think it could be appropriate 5 months or so into the new gig. Just work your a** off in the meantime and prove your worth, so that when you do ask for time off your boss will be amenable to the request. 

I personally have had a HT 4 months into a new job, and will be having one this year 8 months into a new job. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

I share this sentiment. I honestly dgaf who knows about my HT, coworkers or anyone. But its just hard starting a new job then immediately asking for time off for cosmetic surgery, etc. It makes you come off as a drama queen lol. 

Depending where you work I think it could be appropriate 5 months or so into the new gig. Just work your a** off in the meantime and prove your worth, so that when you do ask for time off your boss will be amenable to the request. 

I personally have had a HT 4 months into a new job, and will be having one this year 8 months into a new job. 

I guess I am lucky then since I work remotely, but I wouldnt mind telling my colleagues that I couldnt turn the camera on for certain 1 to 1 meetings with my senior because I had cosmetic surgery, I guess it would be "fair" in that case lol. 

Edited by TheGreatPretender

8 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I guess I am lucky then since I work remotely, but I wouldnt mind telling my colleagues that I couldnt turn the camera on for certain 1 to 1 meetings with my senior because I had cosmetic surgery, I guess it would be "fair" in that case lol. 

I work remotely as well, definitely a huge advantage with hair transplant work. And yes in this day and age I don't think anyone cares if you have a hair transplant. Best to be honest.

Just now, SadMan2021 said:

I work remotely as well, definitely a huge advantage with hair transplant work. And yes in this day and age I don't think anyone cares if you have a hair transplant. Best to be honest.

I dont even turn my camera on in most of my meetings nowdays as I used to in the beggining out of just trying to fit in. Then I realized you dont really need to so long as you do your work. 

Honestly this situation is just like telling someone that you are struggling with doing X, sure you could try to hide it out of fear or shame howeaver odds are that you wouldnt be doing any favour to yourself so its always best to be honest. Especially now since so many people are going out for surgeries, you are just a number in the middle of so many, I doubt there is even that much space for judgment.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

To be honest, Bisanga and De Freitas are at the very top in Europe. They’re in the champions league, some others mentioned are good, but not at that level yet. 

View my thread

• Administrators
Just now, TheGreatPretender said:

Would you rate De Freitas ahead of Bruno Pinto/Ferreira?

In my opinion, yes. I have seen some good work from these two doctors, so nothing against them. But I have seen some of the most mind blowing from De Freitas, he’s up there with Bisanga, at that level.

View my thread

1 minute ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

In my opinion, yes. I have seen some good work from these two doctors, so nothing against them. But I have seen some of the most mind blowing from De Freitas, he’s up there with Bisanga, at that level.

Well, its always a factor worth considering then especially when coming from someone well informed. I dont know if the likes of Dr Lorenzo and Couto would compete side by side with him in that department. I have seen some great results by these two as well that would compete toe to toe with De Freitas. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Well, its always a factor worth considering then especially when coming from someone well informed. I dont know if the likes of Dr Lorenzo and Couto would compete side by side with him in that department. I have seen some great results by these two as well that would compete toe to toe with De Freitas. 

Dr. Lorenzo and Cuoto are excellent as well, though, I believe Lorenzo doesn’t perform extractions anymore. That may be a negative for some. Dr. Cuoto is definitely on my radar, he’s producing top-notch results on par with De Freitas in terms of visible quality. I don’t know enough about him or his clinic, other than what I’ve seen on social media, but impressive from what I’ve seen. I have more knowledge on De Freitas, so I know he’s as legit as they come. 

• Like 2

View my thread

9 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

To be honest, they are all some of the best in the world. In my opinion, it's more a case of looking at their results and picking out the nuances you and details you most like... each will have a style in terms of hairline design, how conservative their approach is overall and with hairline placement and so on, view enough cases and you'll find the style you prefer the most. Beyond that, some surgeons are better at more specific cases, i.e. for repairs, temple points or higher Norwood situations, so you should also base it off the amount of whatever cases are relevant to your own. You might also like the approach of some doctors being less tech focused, and so on.

At the end of the day, Pinto, Freitas, Ferreira, Bisanga, Lorenzo and whoever else of this caliber are all the cream of the crop. At this level, I don't really believe any one is necessarily 'better' than the other, and in my opinion, there really is no real metric to even judge this by as they all have amazing growth, designs and naturalness in their results. Some such as Bisanga certainly have more overall experience in the game than most other surgeons period, but once you get very good at doing HT's, it's more about details you as a patient gravitate towards than the skill of the doctor as they're all equal for all intents and purposes.

To sum it up, If you're going to have a good result, you'll have it with any of them. Going to Bisanga instead of Pinto or vice versa for any of these doctors is very unlikely to have much of an impact on the overall result, the design will just be different depending on who you choose. Freitas for example has very distinctive zig zagged and usually quite low and more straight hairlines, whilst Bisanga has more rounded and conservatively placed ones. Pick which you like the best and you'll be in safe hands with any of the names talked about.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Dr. Lorenzo and Cuoto are excellent as well, though, I believe Lorenzo doesn’t perform extractions anymore. That may be a negative for some. Dr. Cuoto is definitely on my radar, he’s producing top-notch results on par with De Freitas in terms of visible quality. I don’t know enough about him or his clinic, other than what I’ve seen on social media, but impressive from what I’ve seen. I have more knowledge on De Freitas, so I know he’s as legit as they come. 

Dr Couto doesn’t perform extractions either. I had a consultation recently and in truth I came out feeling a little underwhelmed.