Oral minoxidil experience?

Whipaway

I am on oral minoxidil 2.5mg daily and oral dutasteride 0.5mg every other day. My biggest regret is not getting on these meds much sooner. 

• Like 6

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

I am on oral minoxidil 2.5mg daily and oral dutasteride 0.5mg every other day. My biggest regret is not getting on these meds much sooner. 

Doctor said to take oral Minoxidil after my transplant during the growing phase. If I stop taking it after the finam growing stage, will I lose the transplant grafts?

Edited by Smacias15

7 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

I'm taking Finasteride but when I asked my Dr about minoxidil, he said he didn't see a need for it. If it helps grow my transplanted hair I might consider it. Does it cause hair loss if you ever quit taking it though? 

Following this, thanks for posting. I just got prescribed oral minoxidil and waiting to pick up my prescription. 

I have the foam but it’s been hard for me to keep up twice a day. I haven’t used it long enough to notice a difference. 

I haven’t had a HT yet, but would it be a bad idea to start, assuming that I’ll have to stop taking it pre/during/post surgery? Should I just wait until after I’ve had the HT?

8 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Couldn’t agree more, same here.

17 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Dr, can I ask why duasteride and not finasteride?

45 minutes ago, yalla8 said:

Dr, can I ask why duasteride and not finasteride?

Finasteride vs dutasteride is similar except in that dutasteride blocks about 90% while finasteride blocks 70% DHT. 

This is because on the chemical level dutasteride blocks 2 types on the 5 alpha reductase while fin only blocks 1 type.

fin- type 2 isoenzyme 5 alpha reductase

dut- type 2 AND type 1 

In a studies it concluded that dut was able to ‘significantly’ block more of the male sex hormone testoerone in clinical studies.

There are lots of backed research between avodart (dut) and propecia (fin). Lots of YouTube videos as well. I would suggest looking up those backed up studies if you want a better detailed answer which they sometimes provide a visual aide. 

both of them have side effects and dutasteride in a lower dosage has higher side effects in most males that reported taking. (Headaches, groin pain, E.D.) although they were temporary it was still reported. 

Edit: *I am not a doctor

Edited by Vann
I AM NOT A DOCTOR!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

35 minutes ago, 9N5J__ said:

Are most people obtaining oral minoxidil through the internet without a doctor? I want to start taking it but I'm not sure how to go about it in a safe way. 

I am pretty sure oral minoxidil is over the counter. To my understanding, that means it is a drug that has low potential to be abused or misused and that it SHOULD be relatively safe. Sometimes the FDA can approve them to be "safe" which in most instances is for the general population.

From my understanding *NOT A DOCTORyou can take these type of drugs without any side effects present, and if they do exist you can stop taking the drug and after x amount of time you should be fine. 

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

12 minutes ago, Vann said:

I am pretty sure oral minoxidil is over the counter. To my understanding, that means it is a drug that has low potential to be abused or misused and that it SHOULD be relatively safe. Sometimes the FDA can approve them to be "safe" which in most instances is for the general population.

From my understanding *NOT A DOCTORyou can take these type of drugs without any side effects present, and if they do exist you can stop taking the drug and after x amount of time you should be fine. 

Topical is OTC, oral isn't and is a very potent hypertensive drug that can have serious cardiac side effects in higher doses.

On 2/3/2022 at 3:38 PM, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Dr. I’ve been on fin for over 5 years and it’s done well for me. How do I know if and when I should switch to dut? I am 30. 

6 hours ago, Whufcdanny95 said:

Would it be good to take fin on the days not taking dut? 

No, because the half life of dutasteride is VERY long and it inhibits more DHT than finasteride

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

5 hours ago, yalla8 said:

Dr. I’ve been on fin for over 5 years and it’s done well for me. How do I know if and when I should switch to dut? I am 30. 

If it's working, I wouldn't change your regimen

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baldingat22 said:

How have you responded to oral min? Any face hair or weird skin related issues?

I've responded well and haven't experienced any side effects 

• Like 2