Is Dr. Mwambe My Hero?

Konior said I might need 4 procedures total. Wong's rep said 2 extractions + 1 lowering procedure. Gabel and Panine's rep did not give an estimate on number of procedures, but definitely multiple. 

I just had a virtual consult with Mwamba and he said he could take care of all of this in 1 procedure. He would lower the hairline with 1500 or so grafts and then extract/augment the bad grafts during the same procedure. He felt confident he could re-direct/re-angle the bad grafts at the same time. FYI Wong's rep estimated 2500 grafts for lowering the hairline, so I do kind of wonder if 1500 is enough. 

If Dr. Mwamba was some random doctor I would seriously question that this can all be done in 1 procedure, given the opinions of other elite docs. But here is Dr. Mwamba one of the eminent repair surgeons, saying I can solve these issues in 1 go. 

My struggle for reference. Only 1 surgery sounds too good to be true, but this will seriously make me ecstatic and doing backflips if it can be done. 

I will share the detailed synopsis when I have it. The consult just ended a few minutes ago. 

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I’m worried you’re not being clear in your goals and objectives. What are they can you explain?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’m worried you’re not being clear in your goals and objectives. What are they can you explain?

Sorry. What needs to be addressed 1. My transplant hairline is curly and coarse and does not blend in with the native hair behind it. 2. The right temple is pretty badly angled 3. The left side of my hairline has a round/flared angle and is too feminine. 

My end-goal is not to be a 10/10 homerun. I feel like that ship has sailed. I just want the basic principles of a good HT to be applied - have a masculine Norwood 1 hairline and to have the transplant hair position/look natural. My personal stressor is it currently is impossible for my hair to look natural unless aided by gel/pomade or really brushing it hard (and even then after a couple hours it starts falling out of place). 

Dr. Mwamba thinks this can all be fixed in a 2-day procedure. Lowering the hairline by 1500 grafts and extracting and/or re-angling the bad grafts. 

My concern is that Konior, Gabel, the H&W rep and Panine's rep have said I will need multiple extraction procedures, and then a procedure to lower the hairline. The H&W rep recommended 2500 to lower the hairline, but Mwamba said 1500. 

I have shared extensive photos with all of these people, but Mwamba is the only one I've had a virtual consult with thus far. 

Edited by SadMan2021

My 50 cent:

- You cannot decide based on the feedback from virtual/photo consultations or discussing with some reps (especially in a complicated case like yours). In a F2F consultant with the clinic they might come up with a completely different approach. 

- Extracting of grafts most of times requires a second (or third pass) as 20 % of the grafts are dormant. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gasthoerer said:

My 50 cent:

- You cannot decide based on the feedback from virtual/photo consultations or discussing with some reps (especially in a complicated case like yours). In a F2F consultant with the clinic they might come up with a completely different approach. 

- Extracting of grafts most of times requires a second (or third pass) as 20 % of the grafts are dormant. 

yes it certainly is a lot for me to consider and I need to spend time thinking about all of this. 

Worst case with Mwamba, I see him in person, he decides I do in fact need a multiple-procedure plan, and the 1st procedure would still be an improvement. And in that case my treatment plan would be similar to what the others have recommended. 

Mwamba has been one of my top choices all along as he is specifically known as a great repair doctor, so regardless of 1 procedure or multiple, I think I will receive the personalized and scrutinized care I need for my specific case. 

Edited by SadMan2021

12 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

u got any pics to see what you are workin with ? having a hard time picturing this 

All my pictures are in this thread if you want to take a look  

My repair case is kind of unique because while I am now a NW 1 and have a full head of hair, the technical foundations of the HT are wrong.  

Edited by SadMan2021

1 hour ago, SadMan2021 said:

All my pictures are in this thread if you want to take a look  

My repair case is kind of unique because while I am now a NW 1 and have a full head of hair, the technical foundations of the HT are wrong. 

just took a look at just the pics and briefly read the long paragraph but i did read the part you said "hair geeks like us" and that is key , i honestly don't see the big deal and think its good enough just the way it is, again i'm not an expert so i dont see the issue with the temple facing the wrong direction. just seems like going through a lot of trouble and $ to obtain results

7 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

Sorry. What needs to be addressed 1. My transplant hairline is curly and coarse and does not blend in with the native hair behind it. 2. The right temple is pretty badly angled 3. The left side of my hairline has a round/flared angle and is too feminine. 

As you have found, with references to your previous thread,  you might be better served for continuity to update your original thread, which is essentially your search for a surgeon to carry out a repair.

You mention the characteristics of your donor hair is curly and coarse. Have the doctors you consulted explained how they will achieve a different appearance when your hairline is lowered? (bearing in mind they will collect donor hair from the same location)

Have you got some metrics on how much you want your hairline lowered( distance from the glabella, area to cover in cm2, expected density)? Photos of where you want your new hairline?

‘Lowered hairline’ may be open to interpretation, hence the different graft quotes.