Can drinking too much water affect my hair transplant?

Yesterday I was 7 days post-op, and without realising I kept on sipping water, accumulating 10-11 Liters of water in my system. I think I felt a bit dizzy or lightheaded during the night, although I was not entirely sure if it was placebo, or if it was the oral minoxidil pill that I am taking. I do feel constantly dehydrated though, that's why I am drinking.

I know that it is not alcohol or coffee, but can this affect the outcome of a hair transplant? I read somewhere that if sodium levels go down, the brain cells swell and push against the skull, which got me a bit nervous.

Blood pressure, oxygen levels and heart bit rate all good, though.

i wish I had that problem..I’m notorious for not drinking enough water and too much caffeine..it’s an often overlooked benefit that is keeping yourself properly hydrated post HT and onwards thoughtout your recovery..

Id say you’re absolutely fine nothing to worry about ..if anything ..you’ve helped things along ..

1 hour ago, GHTJourneya said:

Yesterday I was 7 days post-op, and without realising I kept on sipping water, accumulating 10-11 Liters of water in my system. I think I felt a bit dizzy or lightheaded during the night, although I was not entirely sure if it was placebo, or if it was the oral minoxidil pill that I am taking. I do feel constantly dehydrated though, that's why I am drinking.

I know that it is not alcohol or coffee, but can this affect the outcome of a hair transplant? I read somewhere that if sodium levels go down, the brain cells swell and push against the skull, which got me a bit nervous.

Blood pressure, oxygen levels and heart bit rate all good, though.

No its actually good to drink alot of water after a transplant, with alot I mean like 3-5 litres for one day spread out.

10-11 litres sounds excessive and is not recommended for your body in general. 

Its going to do any harm? Definitely not.

Edited by digi23

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, GHTJourneya said:

I read somewhere that if sodium levels go down, the brain cells swell and push against the skull, which got me a bit nervous.

As bad as that would be for your brain health, your hair grafts are the other side of your skull...

• Like 1

10-11 litres of water is excessive and I have no idea how you managed that in a day. Even as someone who exercises a lot I would get nowhere near that. 

The average man should consume about 3 litres of water per day. A lot of this water will be present in other drinks if you remember that coffee, tea, fruit juices and soft drinks are still predominantly water based. You also get water from food, particularly fruit and veg. Will it harm your transplant? I doubt it. There is a greater risk to overall health by consuming large amounts of fluid daily as your sodium levels will drop. You say you are constantly dehydrated (I'm assuming feeling thirsty), have you been tested for diabetes?

It’s honestly really hard to drink too much water.  And even if you did, you wouldn’t affect or impact your hair transplant in any way. You might feel a bit sick or bloated if you drink too much water or anything for that matter.  But I think it’s safe to say that drinking a good amount of water is a healthy habit and is not going to affect your hair. I don’t drink so much that you’re going to feel sick because your hair is OK, your body isn't going to appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

While there are worse habits to accidentally go overboard with, 11 liters in a day is quite drastic and I definitely wouldn't aim to do this again. Typically when people mention water poisoning, it's dismissed because they say you would need to drink a lot of water (and in a relatively short amount of time) for that to happen... Buuuut, it seems as if you do qualify as having drunk a lot of water - lol. That said, it's already come and gone and nothing bad happened, so it seems like you're in the clear - and as already mentioned, there's no chance of this negatively impacting your hair transplant.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56