21, high hairline and harry potter scar :(

Unfortunate

Ok well im 21 and im a university student.

i have always had problems with my hair due to a high hair line.

i also have very thin hair which is also a problem.

from ym brow to my hair line in the middle is 7cm and from my brow ot my hairline in the corner is 9cm

it is so hard to find a hair style whihc goes well with me.

i can upload a photo but due to my hair i have no confidence and i am so unhappy with my looks.

i have never spoken of this before as its my biggest fear.

what can i do?

as my hair is so thin after a few hours it gets very greasy and clumps which shows the highest part of my hair line. my hair has been long since i was 14 as i didnt like how i looked. it swoops accross my head to cover my forehead.

is there anything at all that could fix this?

thank you in advance

p.s the pic is a prime example of what i mean. im in the middle (the only guy there lol)

me_looking_terrible.jpg.648ddc42ba71402f5cdc9563aee98932.jpg

oh yeah i forgot to mention the harry potter scar

well 9 months ago i went go karting and was on a faulty track and when i hit the barrier it lifted from the floor, turned to its side, slid up my karts steering shaft and went side on into my visor in my helmet. the visor popped off and took none of the force and the panel hit my forehead about 1cm above the middle of my eyes. very lucky in that sense.

so now i have a harry potter shaped scar there which did not heal well as the barrier crushed the skin so it was unable to heal naturally and will not face like normal scars icon_frown.gif

its hard to get a read on just how high your hair line is with long hair.. But if your hair is parted to one side, like it looks in the pic it looks fine.. if you're not losing your hair then I dont see what the problem is other then you having a high hairline.. Where it long you have it. It looks fine. Thats how i used to wear mine till i started losing it..

Its not that im losing hair, as occasionally i do lose small amounts of hair but my father has a similar hair line and as i have had this hair line all my life i am not too worried as it hasnt gotten worse but i dont like how high my hair line is.

how can i get my hair line normal as 7cm is pretty high icon_frown.gif i just want it to be a little smaller so that i dont HAVE to have long hair styles to cover it icon_frown.gif

Hi there unfortunate-

I think you are going to make not only yourself but the entire rest of the readers on this site very depressed! Fist off, stop with the negative comments. You look just fine. I really don't think that most people are looking at you and thinking wow, look at this guys forehead. Isn't that high ha ha.

You are too young to have any surgery done at this point in your life. I would recommend making an appointment with a dermatologist and see if your hair is miniturizing. If it is, they can write you a prescription for Propecia or Proscar.

The other thing you can do is to find a good concealer to thicken your hair. Toppik is something that I've used for a long time and it does a really nice job. You can look it up on the internet.

One last thing you might think about doing is to style your hair straight back and use some gel or product in it. I know you are brushing your hair down to conceal the high hairline but since your hair tends to get oily and clump together, this might be a really nice look for you.

Hope this helps-

Whilst I agree that you shouldnt consider lowering your hairline at the moment, it doesnt mean you shouldnt do it in the future (late 20's)

If theres something that someone doesnt like about themselves they should be allowed to change it if they wish.

Unfortunate,

Thank you for joining the forums and sharing your story. The above members offer valid, interesting points, but I want to add a few comments:

1. Based on the picture you posted, it does appear that you have fine, straight hair. This particular type of hair, in certain cases, doesn't offer the best coverage, and can lead to some of the issues you mentioned. However, the way you describe a constant struggle with styling and scalp exposure leads me to believe the characteristics of your hair (fine and straight) have been like this for some time? Based on your age, and this information, I'm not convinced it's hair loss. I'm unsure if that is a concern, but, like others have mentioned, a dermatologist can analyze you hair, test for any miniaturization, and let you know if you are suffering loss before moving forward with the issue.

I understand some of the issues you're describing, because I have the exact same type of hair. My mother has very fine, straight hair, and my father has wavy, coarse hair. Two of my brothers have wavy, coarse hair, and I (and my remaining sibling) have completely straight, fine hair.

I'm curious - have you ever tried wearing your hair short? I know the height of your hairline is a personal issue, but it may be something to investigate.

2. With regard to the hairline, I don't believe 7 centimeters from brow to hairline (also called the glabellar-midfrontal point distance) is excessively high. From what I understand, the average distance from brow to the center of the hairline in a restorative, transplant procedure is between 7 and 11 centimeters. This means that your hairline is on the lower, more "youthful" side of any reconstructed hairline.

Now, I understand that you are very young, and there is a big difference between your current, natural hairline, and the result of a hair transplant procedure, but I thought this might lend some perspective.

3. With regard to lowering the hairline in the future - it is an option, but you would need to be very, very concerned with any future loss. The problem with lowering any hairline is if future loss occurs, you will possess a low, dense hairline, but also a (potentially) large gap between the hairline and the rest of your hair. Clearly, this can become an issue, and you should be aware of this problem while researching and (or) undergoing a procedure.

Personally, I do understand your concern and I wish you the best of luck overcoming these issues. Having said that, I think your hair looks good, and I would investigate some different styles (if the "long hair look" bothers you), and see a dermatologist if you notice any significant signs of loss.

Good luck, and please keep us updated. Hopefully hearing a few opinions and reading some information on the forums will alleviate certain concerns.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thank you all for your comments i really appreciate it.

you have given me a lot of useful information there.

i am not yet looking for any surgery but may do in later life depending on how my hair goes (if i lose any).

i think i will take your advice and see a dermatologist and i will post back here with any information he gives me.

i do appreciate it.

also yes i have tried short hair, well not exactly short but short for me, and as i have had long hair since i was a child its very hard for me to adjust to short hair. im tryikng to take it slow and gradually get shorter each tim ei get ti cut.

also Future_HT_Doc you say you have similar hair, i was wondering if you have any tips of styles that may help as i dont know anyone with similar hair to me therefore its hard to get advice on a style and im to afraid to just go for it incase it doesnt look right.

again thank you all so os much it has made me feel a bit better icon_smile.gif

-dan

Unfortunate,

I'm glad we could help, and please keep us updated on your situation.

Personally, I keep my hair fairly short (2.5 - 3 inches), and usually push most of it down and forward (I hope that description makes sense). I find that "spiking" my hair or letting it get too long, does make it look a bit sparse.

Please feel free to post any updates, new questions, or additional comments!

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Mattj,

In the Harry Potter novel and film franchise, the main character, Harry Potter, has a "lightning bolt shaped" scar on his forehead from a run-in with the series' antagonist, Lord Voldemort.

(Note: I'm not much of a Harry Potter fan, and apologize for my simplistic explanation!)

The only way you'd be able to lower it and be on the safe side would be to castrate yourself. But I doubt you'd wanna do that cause we just want nice hair to get laid...otherwise I doubt we'd care.

Other than that, you could see Doctor Umar and see if you could convince him to transplant some beard hair into your hairline to lower it, and go for a buzz look similar to what Eminem currently has. Then if you were to lose more hair, you could tap into your donor to cover behind the beard implants. Beard implants would work just fine for a buzz down look IMO. Plus having long hair is for metrosexuals/homosexuals, and the buzzed down look is surely preferable.

Also...where would you get the funds to cover your hair transplant? You are only 21. I personally put $5000 into Citi when it was at $3...all the money I had in my bank account. Hopefully in 2-3 years, it'll be at 20 dollars and it would be more than enough to cover a HT or hair treatment if I were to ever need one. I'm only 20 right now, and in school, so I don't have much money. And I still have a full head of hair. Currently a NW 1.5 to early NW2. I'm on propecia right now, and I think I got on it at the right time. My dad is bald (NW5 at 52), and all my uncles on both sides of my family are bald. Both my grandparents were bald. I think 3 of my uncles are NW7, so I have to expect that hairloss is actually in my future.

What I'm trying to say is just get on Propecia. I think people with naturally high hairlines as yourself tend to lose their hair.

Norwoodscale, You are full of misinformation. Please stop trying to advise people until you are better educated, and can conduct yourself like an adult on this forum.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Unfortunate,

Ya look great man. That's a cool look. And the scar you have is uniquely you. Just one of life's scars that we all accumulate. Incorporate it into who you are and you'll be fine. Seriously, you may have thin and occasionally greasy hair but your hairline and hairstyle are fine. Enjoy what you have. Many many here would be seriously jealous to be in your shoes. Cheers.

Nor*****cale, I take fish oil for the overall health benefits that omega-3 fats provide. It is also known to have benefits for the hair: "Fish oil helps maintain a good luster of the hair. Omega three has hair growing properties as it provides nourishment to the follicles. It therefore aids in faster development of hair and preventing hair loss. A good supply of proteins is also necessary for hair growth."

Again, I'm going to urge you to educate yourself and start acting more mature. If you truly want help you'll stop heading down the path you are taking.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Nor*****cale, I take fish oil for the overall health benefits that omega-3 fats provide. It is also known to have benefits for the hair: "Fish oil helps maintain a good luster of the hair. Omega three has hair growing properties as it provides nourishment to the follicles. It therefore aids in faster development of hair and preventing hair loss. A good supply of proteins is also necessary for hair growth."

Again, I'm going to urge you to educate yourself and start acting more mature. If you truly want help you'll stop heading down the path you are taking.

who are you to tell people to educate themselves? Especially after you just stating fish oil prevents hair loss from MBP. I don't even know who you are, and you are telling me to grow up. I'm not the one here acting all superior intellectually and acting all condescending. If anything, you need to grow up.

nw, Since joining this forum you have advocated cloning for hair and then disposing of the clones. (Despite that morally bankrupt idea, I kindly offered you advice on your temple point situation.) In this thread alone you have said the following:

The only way you'd be able to lower [your hairline] and be on the safe side would be to castrate yourself.

Convince [Dr. Umar] to transplant some beard hair into your hairline to lower it...

Plus having long hair is for metrosexuals/homosexuals, and the buzzed down look is surely preferable.

I never claimed fish oil stops MPB. The quote I gave you is from an article on the overall health benefits of omega-3s, and the quote never says fish oil will prevent MPB.

To let you know who I am: I am someone who has been battling hairloss for the past six years. I have had 3 transplants and thankfully now have a great head of hair. I have contributed my time to this forum to help people going through what I went through. I also am someone who continues to learn something new every time I visit this forum. You can do the same too. Take care.

Edited by hairthere

Hey guys,

Sorry for being a bit of a "downer," but we should probably try and keep the personal arguing out of this thread. Arguing, ranting, and bickering will only result in a thread lock, and this is a detriment to the original poster's questions and concerns.

Nor*****cale,

Hairthere provided justification for his current fish oil regiment, and I don't think he should be mocked for using this treatment. If you have suggestions, concerns, or a better option, I'm sure he would be happy to hear about it. However, attacking a fellow member's treatment plan isn't the point of these forums, and shouldn't be allowed.

Just my two cents. Sorry to derail the thread! Let's get back to helping Unfortunate.

nw, Since joining this forum you have advocated cloning for hair and then disposing of the clones. (Despite that morally bankrupt idea, I kindly offered you advice on your temple point situation.) In this thread alone you have said the following:

The only way you'd be able to lower [your hairline] and be on the safe side would be to castrate yourself.

Convince [Dr. Umar] to transplant some beard hair into your hairline to lower it...

Plus having long hair is for metrosexuals/homosexuals, and the buzzed down look is surely preferable.

I never claimed fish oil stops MPB. The quote I gave you is from an article on the overall health benefits of omega-3s, and the quote never says fish oil will prevent MPB.

To let you know who I am: I am someone who has been battling hairloss for the past six years. I have had 3 transplants and thankfully now have a great head of hair. I have contributed my time to this forum to help people going through what I went through. I also am someone who continues to learn something new every time I visit this forum. You can do the same too. Take care.

What did I say that was incorrect? At his age, no one knows if he's gonna lose more hair or not. So if he wanted to lower his hairline now, the only way he'd know he wouldn't lose more hair would be to castrate himself. I'm just trying to point out how risky it is for him to lower his hairline.

That is my opinion on long hair.

And the Umar thing, so what? At least then if he ever lost hair, he'd still have all the grafts in his donor area to get coverage everywhere else.

That quote says fish oil prevents hairloss. Most people come here because they're losing their hair from MBP, and someone reading that would assume they could use fish oil to treat their MBP. Criticizing you for it is more than fair as it could lead someone down a wrong path treatment wise.

Hey guys,

Sorry for being a bit of a "downer," but we should probably try and keep the personal arguing out of this thread. Arguing, ranting, and bickering will only result in a thread lock, and this is a detriment to the original poster's questions and concerns.

Nor*****cale,

Hairthere provided justification for his current fish oil regiment, and I don't think he should be mocked for using this treatment. If you have suggestions, concerns, or a better option, I'm sure he would be happy to hear about it. However, attacking a fellow member's treatment plan isn't the point of these forums, and shouldn't be allowed.

Just my two cents. Sorry to derail the thread! Let's get back to helping Unfortunate.

Excuse me, but Hairthere attacked me first and said I should get more educated first. If he didn't start it, I would have never said anything to him.

Edited by NorwoodScale

Ok, the castration reference makes no sense.

Regarding the long hair comment: Do I really need to give a list of guys with long hair that are neither metro or homosexual?

Telling a 21 year old with a full head of hair to transplant a hairline using beard hair is completely irresponsible. Dr. Umar only uses beard and body hair for extreme repair cases and as a last resort when scalp donor is depleted. Thankfully most docs would turn Unfortunate away.

Regarding fish oil: All I did was put it in my signature as a supplement I take. I never claimed it prevented MPB. The quote I gave you says it can aid in keeping hair healthy and from falling out. If I believed it halted MPB completely why would I have had any HTs? Most readers here are discerning enough to understand the difference.

Unfortunate, Despite a high hairline you have a full head of hair right now and judging from the picture have some luck with the ladies. Follow the good advice of others and hold off on any transplant work.

Edited by hairthere

Ok, the castration reference makes no sense.

Regarding the long hair comment: Do I really need to give a list of guys with long hair that are neither metro or homosexual?

Telling a 21 year old with a full head of hair to transplant a hairline using beard hair is completely irresponsible. Dr. Umar only uses beard and body hair for extreme repair cases and as a last resort when scalp donor is depleted. Thankfully most docs would turn Unfortunate away.

Regarding fish oil: All I did was put it in my signature as a supplement I take. I never claimed it prevented MPB. The quote I gave you says it can aid in keeping hair healthy and from falling out. If I believed it halted MPB completely why would I have had any HTs? Most readers here are discerning enough to understand the difference.

Unfortunate, Despite a high hairline you have a full head of hair right now and judging from the picture have some luck with the ladies. Follow the good advice of others and hold off on any transplant work.

Why do you keep talking about my comment on long hair? That's what I think of the look. What does it matter? Seriously are you that bothered by me thinking that? Even if a person isn't a homosexual or metrosexual, that is still what I think about the look. I hate the look.

The castration thing makes plenty of sense. If he wanted to lower his hairline, they only way he'd know he wouldn't look like a freak down the road because of hairloss would be to castrate himself, so I was essentially saying having his hairline lowered is very risky and that he shouldn't bother. What don't you get about it? The beard hair implant comment was just throwing ways out there he could have his hairline lowered and still have all his grafts in the future in case of future hair loss. At this point, what other options does he have if he really wants his hairline lowered? To just lower it and just hope hair multiplication is out by the time if/when he needed another transplant?

Fish Oil will not prevent hair from falling out, PERIOD. Link me to one REAL study where fish oil can prevent hair from falling out. Besides, you presented it here as if it would help with MBP. You did not even provide a source for your quote, and I doubt the source has any real credibility.

Edited by NorwoodScale