How much hair does one have to give?

1 hour ago, Baldingat22 said:

I know this question of course varies but is there a range that would completely fill a bald head with density for most people graft wise? And how much would the average again normal range patient have to give for HT?

You are talking about reversing a Norwood 7? 

It depends ALOT on hair characteristics. 

You are looking at something like 10,000 for the ones with extremely thick hair to 14,000 grafts with someone who have thin hair.(This is just a rough estimation). 

I dont know what you mean by normal range? Balding is evolving your whole life, so you might need more than one procedure. 

Something fairly normal is Norwood 5A, everything on top is then gone but it does not dip down below the crown and the sides. You usually see somewhere around 5,500-7,000 grafts for cases like that.

Most patient reviews you see I assume is Norwood 3, usually somewhere around 2,000-3,000 grafts for these cases.

The average person have maybe somewhere around 5,000-7,000 grafts just from the scalp. The ones with really good donor area have 7,000-10,000.

Edited by digi23
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, digi23 said:

You are talking about reversing a Norwood 7? 

It depends ALOT on hair characteristics. 

You are looking at something like 10,000 for the ones with extremely thick hair to 14,000 grafts with someone who have thin hair.(This is just a rough estimation). 

I dont know what you mean by normal range? Balding is evolving your whole life, so you might need more than one procedure. 

Something fairly normal is Norwood 5A, everything on top is then gone but it does not dip down below the crown and the sides. You usually see somewhere around 5,500-7,000 grafts for cases like that.

Most patient reviews you see I assume is Norwood 3, usually somewhere around 2,000-3,000 grafts for these cases.

The average person have maybe somewhere around 5,000-7,000 grafts just from the scalp. The ones with really good donor area have 7,000-10,000.

Answered perfectly yes I basically meant if someone went bald on top because usually sides and back stay how much could they get from donor area to fill it all in? Mainly wanted to know because if you are electing an early HT then if you had enough donor hair wouldn’t you be fine even if you continued to bald?

12 minutes ago, Baldingat22 said:

Answered perfectly yes I basically meant if someone went bald on top because usually sides and back stay how much could they get from donor area to fill it all in? Mainly wanted to know because if you are electing an early HT then if you had enough donor hair wouldn’t you be fine even if you continued to bald?

Depends on how your balding evolves. Class 6 or 7 is VERY difficult to reverse, while 5 is advanced loss but can be done.

image.png.8c1a6800bf9565cd2d53ef06e6619d7e.png

• Administrators

There’s a big difference between a class 5a and 7, but both are technically “bald on top” what are you referring to? A class 6?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

There’s a big difference between a class 5a and 7, but both are technically “bald on top” what are you referring to? A class 6?

I’m referring to class 6 almost pushing 7. So pretty much as bad as it gets would anyone ever have enough donor hair to fill all that in. Mainly to understand that if I did get a HT at let’s say 25 and I further recessed at what level would it be okay based of hairs available?