Travelling to India in 2022

Hi all,

I believe there was a similar thread posted last year, however I think with the emergence of Omicron and the endlessly changing situation, 2022 warrants a fresh thread.

I've recently been in contact with Eugenix who have accepted my case and I am currently trying to work out a date to make my booking. However, I have been closely monitoring the Indian Ministry of Health website https://www.mohfw.gov.in/ where they have been updating their travel advice on a roughly monthly basis.

Until a few days ago, all travellers from countries not deemed 'high risk' were able to submit a pre-departure Covid-19 test and fly to India, with no restrictions after leaving the airport. Travellers from countries deemed 'high risk' were subject to post-arrival Covid testing in the airport and a seven day home quarantine, followed by a second Covid test on the eighth day in India.

On 7 January 2022, new guidelines were released by the Ministry of Health, coming into effect on the 11 January 2022. The main change being that now travellers from all countries will be required to complete a seven day home quarantine upon arrival in India, regardless of vaccination status or the return of a negative test upon arrival.

It would be great if people could share their recent experiences of travelling to India, particularly since the new regulations came into effect.

1. For those required to complete a post-arrival Covid test in the airport, how long did this take?
  2. Were there any issues providing a hotel's name/address as your destination for home quarantine?
  3. Were you able to leave the airport on your own, freely, to find your way to your hotel?
  4. As most of us are/will be on e-Medical visas, were you able to leave your hotel within the first seven days to complete your hair surgery?

• Like 2

• Administrators

I just finished my write-up

I got my e-visa in 2 days, didn’t experience any issues at the airport. In fact, you can do the visa on arrival. Eugenix are well connected, and I believe the quarantine can be broken for medical procedures. I don’t think you have anything to worry about. In fact, I even visited the Taj Mahal. But that may change now. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I'm in the UK and i was actually just looking to try and wrangle a date for March time maybe but these new rules could definitely be an issue and i know Eugenix say there's flexibility if you pay the deposit and things like Covid restrictions etc. get in the way, i just still don't like the idea it could be months and months later. 

Although, if what Melvin says above is true, we need to see how that works and for patients coming from which countries. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, NARMAK said:

I'm in the UK and i was actually just looking to try and wrangle a date for March time maybe but these new rules could definitely be an issue and i know Eugenix say there's flexibility if you pay the deposit and things like Covid restrictions etc. get in the way, i just still don't like the idea it could be months and months later. 

Although, if what Melvin says above is true, we need to see how that works and for patients coming from which countries. 

You can break quarantine for medical procedures and reasons. That I know for a fact. I stayed about 6 days there, so an extra day wouldn’t be a big deal to me. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 minute ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You can break quarantine for medical procedures and reasons. That I know for a fact. I stayed about 6 days there, so an extra day wouldn’t be a big deal to me. 

Is this like something officially sanctioned by the Indian Govt? 

Don't get me wrong, i believe you, i just am super cautious about getting caught on the wrong side of it. I know Eugenix offer 2 nights complimentary stay on their Exclusive and upwards packages and i was thinking of asking them if maybe i could stretch that out and i'd possibly stay for about maybe 4 days post-HT to let the hair anchor in, let them help me with the hair washing etc. and then travel back. 

It's pretty cool you visited the Taj Mahal and stuff. Definitely going to read your write up fully and hopefully watch a video if you release one :)

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Is this like something officially sanctioned by the Indian Govt? 

Don't get me wrong, i believe you, i just am super cautious about getting caught on the wrong side of it. I know Eugenix offer 2 nights complimentary stay on their Exclusive and upwards packages and i was thinking of asking them if maybe i could stretch that out and i'd possibly stay for about maybe 4 days post-HT to let the hair anchor in, let them help me with the hair washing etc. and then travel back. 

It's pretty cool you visited the Taj Mahal and stuff. Definitely going to read your write up fully and hopefully watch a video if you release one :)

I believe allowing the quarantine and curfew exceptions is official from the government. 

• Like 1

View my thread

Currently looking at what the cost of flights would be and it is pretty annoying how much different these regulations hit you in the face. 

I would say even moreso than annoying, sad that you somehow might turn up and be missing a single paper and have your entire flight cancelled or not be allowed to travel.

I truly do think things are ridiculous right now. 

Okay, so doing a bit of research, it appears that you apply for a Medical eVisa to India and its significantly quicker to do. Within 7 days as a push. 

Has anybody from the UK found the process that quickly? 

I don't like the idea of booking any flights before securing a medical eVisa to India. I would rather burn a deposit and Visa fee than end up spending hundreds of pounds booking flights i cannot even use and have to cancel. Possibly losing all my money. 

I'm not exactly up to date on cancelling flights as i only buy what i'm using. 

11 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Okay, so doing a bit of research, it appears that you apply for a Medical eVisa to India and its significantly quicker to do. Within 7 days as a push. 

I don't like the idea of booking any flights before securing a medical eVisa to India. I would rather burn a deposit and Visa fee than end up spending hundreds of pounds booking flights i cannot even use and have to cancel. Possibly losing all my money. 

It is my understanding that the e-Visa for India is not available to UK passport holders, you instead have the pleasure of applying the old fashioned way through the Indian embassy.

• Valued Contributor
11 hours ago, NARMAK said:

There's no e-visa option for Brits. You have to physically go to the visa application centre on Goswell Road in London. Mine took 4 weeks to process, though once I finally was able to speak to someone and send an email to the right place stating that I urgently needed my passport back, it was processed the same day and returned the next. So it probably won't be as long for most people (mine seemed to have been forgotten or something), but definitely don't assume 7 days.

25 minutes ago, Hayden87 said:

It is my understanding that the e-Visa for India is not available to UK passport holders, you instead have the pleasure of applying the old fashioned way through the Indian embassy.

4 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

There's no e-visa option for Brits. You have to physically go to the visa application centre on Goswell Road in London. Mine took 4 weeks to process, though once I finally was able to speak to someone and send an email to the right place stating that I urgently needed my passport back, it was processed the same day and returned the next. So it probably won't be as long for most people (mine seemed to have been forgotten or something), but definitely don't assume 7 days.

Thanks for letting me know guys. That sucks. 

Berba, did you have to show a return flight was already booked when applying for the Medical Visa?

I don't mind going in person and will do so ASAP but the timescales online being quick and being 4 weeks in person is a ridiculous disconnect

• Valued Contributor
3 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Berba, did you have to show a return flight was already booked when applying for the Medical Visa?

Nope.

• You need to fill in the online application form & print it out: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/
  • Get yourself at least 2 50x50mm photos. I got mine from a photo booth in Asda!
  • Fill out a medical visa undertaking form - I think I linked to one elsewhere but the consular services will print one out for you to fill in in any case if you haven't found it
  • Hand-signed letter from Eugenix confirming your surgery
  • Passport
  • Confirmation of your booking with the consular services

It is annoying that e-visas aren't available to Brits. However I don't think 4 weeks is normal. From what I'd read online and what I was told, it's normally no more than 10 working days. Like I say, pretty sure my passport was neglected as it was processed immediately once I was able to actually speak to someone (which was a battle in and of itself!).

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

Nope.

• You need to fill in the online application form & print it out: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/
  • Get yourself at least 2 50x50mm photos. I got mine from a photo booth in Asda!
  • Fill out a medical visa undertaking form - I think I linked to one elsewhere but the consular services will print one out for you to fill in in any case if you haven't found it
  • Passport

It is annoying that e-visas aren't available to Brits. However I don't think 4 weeks is normal. From what I'd read online and what I was told, it's normally no more than 10 working days. Like I say, pretty sure my passport was neglected as it was processed immediately once I was able to actually speak to someone (which was a battle in and of itself!).

Thanks a lot for the confirmation!

I was afraid i would need to show booked return flights and then if I got burned on the medical visa, i'd lose out more. That's great, i'll probably sort that out ASAP from when i get my deposit done with them if i can hit my desired month for the HT

On 1/15/2022 at 12:02 PM, Berba11 said:

Nope.

• Passport

thanks for this. i saved it for my trip booking

On 1/11/2022 at 9:42 PM, Gatsby said:

Well I'll be arriving this Sunday so maybe I can update any changes from then. 👍

How did you get on with your travel? Looking super forward to your Eugenix story too, btw!