Hair loss life long progression

I have been trying to better understand the link between hairtransplants and hair loss progression in the past months. Unfortunately there are little long term experience reports on HTs  available on the internet.  

Following my observations,  most men eventually lose a major part of their hair. Most men over age 65/70 do not have good hair anymore.This may even apply to men who had a decent head of hair around age 40. If you remain something like a NW 3 in the higher age (with only some front or corner recession), that is very good but you normally then would have a good head of hair in your 40s. (like the Martin Sheens, Tom Sellecks, Tom Berrengers etc)

So the whole hairtransplant thing seems to be  to buy you a number of years when you are young and want to look at your best but eventually you will have to do other HT down the route. In the higher age, hair may not matter that much or compromise solution is acceptable?  

In most cases, Finansteride will not stop but only slow down hair loss over the long term.Plus, there remain  legitim questions of tolerance and effectiveness over the very long term (20 or 30m years plus). 

I do not want to sound to be overly negative but is that a fair summary in your view?  

Edited by Mike10

• Valued Contributor

MPB is genetic. You cannot change your genes but you can chemically and surgically change the aesthetic appearance of you hair. With finsteride, etc you can slow down the loss or halt it (and in some cases reverse hair loss in places like the lower crown). But at the end of the day when it comes to surgery you are not creating new hairs. You are 'transplanting' hair grafts from one area to another to give the illusion of more hair. Everyone is different in their hair loss. All men over the lifespan lose hair due to DHT which is converted from testosterone.

• Like 2

Your observations are exactly why I advise prospective hair transplant patients to consider the long term instead of focusing on a single hair transplant procedure.   While not everyone loses all of their hair, MPB is progressive.  So by sitting down and working out a long term plan with a reputable physician, you can maximize the amount of hair you can recover and decide the best course of action o er the years.   Keep in mind also that a long term plan can and often should be revised over time of necessary. After all,, nobody can predict the future amd hair transplantation is about minimizing risks.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I also do have the same concerns. And I wanted to ask guys who have been the longest with HTs done . 

Let’s say you are satisfied and happy with your results and you forget about your hairloss for some years. So you definitely have the risk over the years that your hairloss may continue even if you are on medication, or there’s a small chance you don’t have any significant loss over the year. 
So my question is the following, and don’t get me wrong , I don’t want to bring negativity , I try to understand the best before get anything done cause we’re planning long term here. You guys you have done HT , does it feel like it’s worth it ? I mean don’t you have in the back of your mind that eventually this will continue and you “satisfaction” and happiness lasts only for a few years ? Do you ever feel like it’s unavoidable ?  Or do you feel kind of “safe” that you have something in bank to address any future loss and because you are on medication that’s not going to be significant in very small period ? 

really looking forward to your thoughts !

• Like 1

I use Jordan peterson as an example for myself often. He definitely had a ht done, my assumption is with H&W and while his hair isn't "perfect" the amount that was transplanted in addition to the favorable contrast added by his grey hair... you look at the guy and consider he turns 60 this year and you wouldn't think thats true. & if the rest of his hair got worse, you really wouldn't care much if you were JP would you? So for us, most of us being in our 20s and 30s, between fin and transplanting I think its a solid policy to afford you time to get to an age where you either have acceptable density given your age, or you just dont give a yourself. JP would have been 30 when fin was released and likely most men were very reluctant to take it given how new the drug was and how little information anyone had available to them. We are far more equipped now to fight this, we have more than just fin coming our way for prevention and hair transplants are very good nowadays given the right characteristics and doctor. 

The frustrating thing with all this is there is no right answer, no one could tell you what course of action you should definitely take, but in my opinion, this is worth pursuing until you come to a time where you feel among your "age group" or you simply don't care anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Overthinker said:

I also do have the same concerns. And I wanted to ask guys who have been the longest with HTs done . 

Let’s say you are satisfied and happy with your results and you forget about your hairloss for some years. So you definitely have the risk over the years that your hairloss may continue even if you are on medication, or there’s a small chance you don’t have any significant loss over the year. 
So my question is the following, and don’t get me wrong , I don’t want to bring negativity , I try to understand the best before get anything done cause we’re planning long term here. You guys you have done HT , does it feel like it’s worth it ? I mean don’t you have in the back of your mind that eventually this will continue and you “satisfaction” and happiness lasts only for a few years ? Do you ever feel like it’s unavoidable ?  Or do you feel kind of “safe” that you have something in bank to address any future loss and because you are on medication that’s not going to be significant in very small period ? 

really looking forward to your thoughts !

My grandfather was bald and I wanted to be just like him.  While I realized I was thinning, it really never occurred to me to do any research.  That is, until I was hired as a consultant in the hair industry.  I was then told, " how can you educate anyone if you have no hair?" It was then that I started this journey.  I talk about it every day.  I've been on Propecia since the 1990's, I use a laser every other day and have had several procedures.  Yes, for me it was, (and is) very much worth it.  I think as a patient, it is important to realize how limited the donor is.  This, in itself, will kind of guide the patient as to the best approach to take considering the pattern.  Money does get in the day and, unfortunately ends up being the driving force behind the decisions patients tend to make.  Not good when you consider this is not a regulated industry.  PLEASE ask whatever doctor you visit with, where did you learn to do this?

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

2 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

My grandfather was bald and I wanted to be just like him.  While I realized I was thinning, it really never occurred to me to do any research.  That is, until I was hired as a consultant in the hair industry.  I was then told, " how can you educate anyone if you have no hair?" It was then that I started this journey.  I talk about it every day.  I've been on Propecia since the 1990's, I use a laser every other day and have had several procedures.  Yes, for me it was, (and is) very much worth it.  I think as a patient, it is important to realize how limited the donor is.  This, in itself, will kind of guide the patient as to the best approach to take considering the pattern.  Money does get in the day and, unfortunately ends up being the driving force behind the decisions patients tend to make.  Not good when you consider this is not a regulated industry.  PLEASE ask whatever doctor you visit with, where did you learn to do this?

Thanks for putting it that way! 

So I’m gonna ask you as clear as I can be. You saw your problem, you decided to do something about it (the best anyone can do in each situation) , and you have a little left on your donor for future and you have address the situation for now.  Let’s assume you’re younger than 40 or at your 40s. Nobody can ensure you about the future , and you don’t know how and if it will progress. 
Is there a point ( psychologically speaking) that you feel “safe” , you feel “good” and confident with your hair situation and it stops having impact in your mental health? 
or you continue your life with the feeling of “if I only had the hair I used to” deep down ? 

thanks for your response 

14 hours ago, Overthinker said:

So I’m gonna ask you as clear as I can be. You saw your problem, you decided to do something about it (the best anyone can do in each situation) , and you have a little left on your donor for future and you have address the situation for now.  Let’s assume you’re younger than 40 or at your 40s. Nobody can ensure you about the future , and you don’t know how and if it will progress. 
Is there a point ( psychologically speaking) that you feel “safe” , you feel “good” and confident with your hair situation and it stops having impact in your mental health? 
or you continue your life with the feeling of “if I only had the hair I used to” deep down ? 

thanks for your response 

I think most people will start doing some type of research when interested in anything. You go through consultations and learn. You then rely on the experts' opinions.  You start a medical regimen.  If it helps, it will continue helping for as long as you do it. 

Having FUT and FUE as options has also helped.  Patients now have more of the resource to alleviate this issue.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

19 hours ago, Overthinker said:

thanks for your response 

Well I think  the HT journey will likely just become a hassle in the long term. But that is not to say that you should not do a hairtransplant. It is a kind of a trade off. 

On 1/3/2022 at 4:19 PM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Your observations are exactly why I advise prospective hair transplant patients to consider the long term instead of focusing on a single hair transplant procedure.   While not everyone loses all of their hair, MPB is progressive.  So by sitting down and working out a long term plan with a reputable physician, you can maximize the amount of hair you can recover and decide the best course of action o er the years.   Keep in mind also that a long term plan can and often should be revised over time of necessary. After all,, nobody can predict the future amd hair transplantation is about minimizing risks.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

To me this this makes sense, careful planning of the donor hair. What I am seeing a lot is the contrary when patients travel to those hair transplant in Turkey, they are completely uninformed of preventive measures against hair loss and get 3000 grafts for some minor recession in their 20s.This borders on malpractice IMO