Minoxidil with propylene glycol and ethanol (96%) post-op hair transplant

My surgeon advised me to restart my minoxidil 15 days post-op. In my country (the Netherlands) you cannot buy Minoxidil Foam, only the 'regular' version, so with propylene glycol and ethanol (96%).

Can the variant with propylene glycol and ethanol damage follicles? Because I read @DrTBarghouthi only recommend the foam, at least for the initial phase.

It may be possible that the original liquid version has higher concentrations of these derivatives and may be why Dr. B favors the foam version.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

15 minutes ago, alex85 said:

My surgeon advised me to restart my minoxidil 15 days post-op. In my country (the Netherlands) you cannot buy Minoxidil Foam, only the 'regular' version, so with propylene glycol and ethanol (96%).

Can the variant with propylene glycol and ethanol damage follicles? Because I read @DrTBarghouthi only recommend the foam, at least for the initial phase.

Sorry I may have posted twice. I tend to recommend the foam because absorption is better and less irritating. However, you can use the liquid but I would personally prefer to delay until 3-4 weeks after surgery to avoid irritating the scalp. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

8 minutes ago, Mountinvan said:

Is it possible to re-start topical propecia with minoxidil post-op--or is it better to just stick with the foam minoxidil? Same 3-4 week post transplant time frame?

Definitely restart. 

2 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Sorry I may have posted twice. I tend to recommend the foam because absorption is better and less irritating. However, you can use the liquid but I would personally prefer to delay until 3-4 weeks after surgery to avoid irritating the scalp. 

Do you place the foam in all areas of the scalp including the transplanted area? 

1 minute ago, rambunctious said:

Do you place the foam in all areas of the scalp including the transplanted area? 

Depends on where the maintenance areas are. However no harm if it comes over the transplanted areas too. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

1 hour ago, Mountinvan said:

Is it possible to re-start topical propecia with minoxidil post-op--or is it better to just stick with the foam minoxidil? Same 3-4 week post transplant time frame?

Finasteride can technically never be stopped before or after the transplant. 

• Like 1

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

3 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

Depends on where the maintenance areas are. However no harm if it comes over the transplanted areas too. 

No harm, but is there a known benefit in the transplanted area? Quicker growth, etc? 

Just now, rambunctious said:

No harm, but is there a known benefit in the transplanted area? Quicker growth, etc? 

Technically with improved blood flow there could be good reasoning to apply to the transplanted area. I don't discourage it at all. Might even help reduce any shock loss etc. I came across one study about that. If I happen to find it I will share it here ofcourse. 

• Thanks 3

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

I am trying to get my hands on Rogaine Foam, but it isn't easy. But I think I found a supplier from a local pharmacy in France now, hopefully he will ship to my country. 

What risk do I take if I start using the Minoxidil with propylene glycol and ethanol (96%) now, at 15 days post op? Do you don't recommend it because of scalp irritation? Or is it that you can really harm grafts?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/1/2022 at 11:46 PM, alex85 said:

I am trying to get my hands on Rogaine Foam, but it isn't easy. But I think I found a supplier from a local pharmacy in France now, hopefully he will ship to my country. 

What risk do I take if I start using the Minoxidil with propylene glycol and ethanol (96%) now, at 15 days post op? Do you don't recommend it because of scalp irritation? Or is it that you can really harm grafts?

Dr Ali at Mwamba's clinic advised me that the PG may irritate the scalp before 2 weeks post op, rather than it damaging grafts. Just wondering if anybody has heard anything conflicting?

Edited by RTC

PG always has the potential to irritate skin. If your skin is already dry and prone to itching address that first. Otherwise waiting 2 weeks post op is plenty of time, go ahead and start back up if you are healing normally.

• Like 1