Weightlifting after FUT

For starters, I think it is always advisable to follow your doctors post-op instructions. That said, In my opinion it’s safe to start doing some very light weight lifting and exercising after approximately 10 days. But when you are lifting, use common sense. Don’t do any exercises or a lift any weights that causes any strain.  For example, bench pressing can cause strain in the donor area so it may be better to do alternative chest exercises that don’t involve putting your head on a bench or cause the donor area any discomfort.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Typically you can return to normal after 7 days.  You should avoid weightlifting, particularly anything related to the neck, for 6 months as this can stretch the scar.  Pull-ups, push-ups, leg presses, all that is fine.  

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

7 minutes ago, MachoVato said:

I was in the gym on day 8 or so. Resistance only, no sweating. 

After 2 weeks and all my scabs were off, it's was back to normal for me. But still, light sweating.

Ok good to know. From your previous HT it looks like you had FUE, which makes sense for you to be working out that soon. I was asking specifically for FUT patients, no worries. 

Edited by rambunctious
wrong word

3 minutes ago, rambunctious said:

Ok good to know. From your previous HT it looks like you had FUE, which makes sense for you to be working out that soon. I was asking specifically for FUT patients, no worries. 

Ah! Yes, I missed that. FUT? I don't know.

• Administrators

No heavy lifting for 6 months your scar can stretch. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You don't want to stretch your FUT scar (neck flexion) since that can impede scar healing. You can start light lifting after 1 month and I wouldn't resume heavy lifting until 3 months

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider.