Anaesthesia Pain

Hey guys,

I’ve been looking into HTs for a couple years now, and as badly as I want to get one.. I can’t seem to overcome my fear of the pain you feel while getting the anesthetic injections. While I know it only lasts a couple of minutes, almost every single review points out this pain, which is really hampering my ability to build up enough courage to take the plunge. I have a very low pain tolerance, and don’t want to be embarrassed by wincing in pain, or worse.. asking them to stop.

If you’ve have a HT, can you please go into detail about what this process felt like for you. What is a comparable level of pain? I cannot seem to overcome this fear.

Thanks all

I’m the opposite, I have quite a high pain threshold. So I know that doesn’t help you… BUT what I will say is talk to to the clinics your considering ! They will have many different options for pain management.. before/during and after. 
It should be pain free after the injections are done, although they will get topped up at some point during the ht. Just a series of sharp scratches. 

Edited by JC71

The comparable level of pain, in my opinion, is pinching your scalp with the tips of your thumb and index finger nails. 

It's really not that bad. 

Make sure you ask your clinic if they provide any form of sedation or anti-anxiety meds. 

When I had my first HT with Dr. Bhatti, I was given sleeping pills for a couple of nights and some form of anti-anxiety medication for the procedure (Xanax or something similar, I can't remember). 

I had never taken any such medicine before and I recall being genuinely surprised at my lack of nerves prior to and during the procedure. The pain was like a few prickles, then it was nothing. I actually dozed off a few times during the procedure.

6 hours ago, Scream said:

Hey guys,

I’ve been looking into HTs for a couple years now, and as badly as I want to get one.. I can’t seem to overcome my fear of the pain you feel while getting the anesthetic injections. While I know it only lasts a couple of minutes, almost every single review points out this pain, which is really hampering my ability to build up enough courage to take the plunge. I have a very low pain tolerance, and don’t want to be embarrassed by wincing in pain, or worse.. asking them to stop.

If you’ve have a HT, can you please go into detail about what this process felt like for you. What is a comparable level of pain? I cannot seem to overcome this fear.

Thanks all

You should ask the clinic for something that makes you calm your nerves, like Xanax for example. It is pretty common for clinics to give this anyways. 

Its not really painful, its just feels abit unpleasant. 

Honestly, the first time I got a hair transplant, the only pain I felt was pressure in my donor area when lying down. All I remember was taking some pills and having a shot in my arm, then I blanked out for about 6 hours. 

The second time, I did feel the anesthesia shot in my head and I'd probably rate it a 6/10 in terms of pain. I think I felt it this time because I was given it pretty quickly after I took the pills and sedation shot. Speak with your doctor and see if they can give you sedation with enough time to knock you out before getting anesthesia. 

You'll probably get multiple anesthesia injections during the procedure, but your head should be numb enough after the first one where the other ones don't hurt.

• Valued Contributor

They do sting - especially along the hairline, behind the ears and the temple points. 

It’s like getting a tattoo, except with a tattoo it’s constant so you get used to the sting/burn. With the anaesthetic, I found I never really got used to each one. Each was as bad as the one before. 

Is it so bad that I’d never go through this again? No, it isn’t. I kept telling myself that if women can go through child birth multiple times, I can take this. You’ll be fine.