Hair transplant after SMP?

Hi all, been searching these forums for a good few weeks now since I came to the decision that I definitely want a hair transplant – unfortunately finding the right surgeon/doctor is proving to be very difficult as I'm based in the UK, and I'm mixed with curly hair. Travelling to Belgium doesn't seem too feasible at the moment as the UK is on the red list, and I'd have to quarantine as soon as I arrive which could really complicate things. Ideally I'd like to just get the transplant done in the UK but the one doctor I've been heavily considering is producing very mixed results, so I'm not too sure about it any more.

I'm actually considering getting SMP (or a more temporary form of SMP if that exists - one that would last for just a year instead of 5-7 years for example?). I think I'm a norwood two, the main issue is that my hairline is receding. With the way I style my hair, I think SMP could potentially blend in with my existing hairs to create a natural result. I'm mainly wondering though if getting SMP would ruin my chances of getting a transplant in say 1 or 2 years time? Not really sure of the specifics e.g. if it makes it more difficult for the surgeon.

It would also be good to get your opinion as to whether mixing SMP with long-ish hair on top is a good idea at all? I know the majority of people go for the buzz-cut look but that doesn't suit me.

Thanks guys :)

Edited by Mixed93

• Mixed93 changed the title to Hair transplant after SMP?

You're doing the right thing by waiting - don't base who you go to on convenience, especially when the dr. you're considering has been producing such unreliable results (I know who it is you're referencing). Just wait until Belgium opens up, even if it's next year, or bite the bullet and quarantine for 10 days when you get home.

Anyway, yeah you can get SMP and then go for a HT down the line, this isn't a problem in and of itself. It can cause issues when someone has SMP with a lower hairline than they are realistically able to match with a transplant due to donor supply as you would then either have to laser it off or set yourself up for failure down the line if you just transplanted over it. 

SMP can work with long hair too, yeah, but it's going to be obvious if there's not a lot of it if you see what I'm saying. There needs to be adequate density layered on top so that it just essentially helps to stop light from reflecting off your scalp and nothing else. If there's not, then you're just going to have hair that people can see through with loads of ink dots underneath.

• Like 1

@JDEE0 thanks mate. Honestly so annoying that there aren't many reputable doctors in the UK. The quarantining issue was more the fact that I'd have to quarantine in Belgium upon arrival (until receiving a negative result) - just seems like hassle. I'd be perfectly happy quarantining for 10 days when I get back home as I probably wouldn't wanna go out anyway straight after the surgery.

Good point about the hairline and density, I'd basically be trying to replicate my original hairline (which is now mostly gone, lol). SMP is definitely not my ideal route but if done properly it could be a good option until I'm able to go to a surgeon where an excellent result is almost guaranteed – I'd be so gutted to pay thousands only for it to end in disappointment.

Your point about light reflection is something I've been thinking about - if the ink is totally matte and could stop my scalp from shining underneath the thinning hair then that would be amazing.. but if the bald parts of my hairline area would still shine under the ink then that would give it away I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Mixed93 said:

@JDEE0 thanks mate. Honestly so annoying that there aren't many reputable doctors in the UK. The quarantining issue was more the fact that I'd have to quarantine in Belgium upon arrival (until receiving a negative result) - just seems like hassle. I'd be perfectly happy quarantining for 10 days when I get back home as I probably wouldn't wanna go out anyway straight after the surgery.

Good point about the hairline and density, I'd basically be trying to replicate my original hairline (which is now mostly gone, lol). SMP is definitely not my ideal route but if done properly it could be a good option until I'm able to go to a surgeon where an excellent result is almost guaranteed – I'd be so gutted to pay thousands only for it to end in disappointment.

Your point about light reflection is something I've been thinking about - if the ink is totally matte and could stop my scalp from shining underneath the thinning hair then that would be amazing.. but if the bald parts of my hairline area would still shine under the ink then that would give it away I suppose.

No worries man. Yeah, it is frustrating, but it's the same for most places really. Is the covid test on arrival in Belgium PCR or Antigen? The antigen one comes back in 15 mins so you wouldn't even have to quarantine if so.

Well, if you do go SMP route at this point, it's most likely going to require you to shave it all of to make it work seeing as your hairline is mostly gone (unless you wanna go for the trick daddy mugshot look haha). Well, depending on how low your hairline naturally was then you may be able to closely replicate your original hairline, it's going to depend.

Honestly If it's getting to the point that you're thinking about doing SMP, which you don't really seem to wanna do, just to do something, then I would just make the trip to Belgium work and focus on that instead. SMP has all the same pitfalls of HT in that you need to find a good artist etc, with the added stress of the fact that you don't really know if it will look good in the end or if you'll like the look. With a HT, well, it's hair and as long as its done well, you know what it will look like; hair. 

1 hour ago, Mixed93 said:

Yea the dark colored ink is going to be somewhat less reflective than your skin,  but I don't think there's any ink formulations with an actual 'matte' effect, like we see advertised with moisturizers and women's makeup. Since the ink is being deposited under the skin surface, the key factors are how naturally oily your scalp skin is on the surface,. and making sure you have enough hair to absorb most of the light coming in. Guys that get SMP for the shaved look can play around more with topical 'matte' effect products like moisturizers since they have almost no hair or just a very short buzz, no need to worry about messing the hair up. But for guys with longer hair, there's alot of leave-on products that could leave your hair dull or otherwise less manageable. I'd focus on making sure your scalp skin is as healthy and calm as possible, because irritated skin can kick your oil glands into over-production mode. Be sure you're using hair styling products that are not irritable, same goes for shampoo. And if you do have any kind of dandruff or other inflammatory conditions get them under control with a medicated shampoo regimen. 

Edited by ciaus
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

Anyway, yeah you can get SMP and then go for a HT down the line, this isn't a problem in and of itself.

That's not necessarily true. Some well-known HT docs (looking at you Hasson/Wong and Rahal) refused me a HT because I had SMP. Y

OP, if you are considering SMP before a HT, you may want to check with a few surgeons that would be on the top of your list if they would still do the HT.

2 minutes ago, kirkland said:

That's not necessarily true. Some well-known HT docs (looking at you Hasson/Wong and Rahal) refused me a HT because I had SMP. Y

OP, if you are considering SMP before a HT, you may want to check with a few surgeons that would be on the top of your list if they would still do the HT.

Hmm, interesting, thanks for the info. It is generally fine by most doctors standards though, as there should be no damage to the skin or hair follicles in the donor or recipient from SMP (as I'm sure you know); this is the first time I've heard of someone being turned away because they've had it done.

Out of curiosity, what was their reasoning for turning you down exactly (obviously the SMP, but what specifically did they say was the problem caused by it)?

Not sure why they turned me down. As you mentioned, there is no health-related reason why a HT can't be done over SMP. Other HT surgeons have no problem doing hair restoration work on a scalp with SMP

When I consulted with reps from H&W and Rahal, they passed along that the docs would prefer I remove the SMP prior to seeking out a HT with them.

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor
1 minute ago, kirkland said:

Not sure why they turned me down. As you mentioned, there is no health-related reason why a HT can't be done over SMP. Other HT surgeons have no problem doing hair restoration work on a scalp with SMP

When I consulted with reps from H&W and Rahal, they passed along that the docs would prefer I remove the SMP prior to seeking out a HT with them.

That's very interesting @kirkland When I first consulted with Eugenix I asked them if I should have my SMP removed (as I believed that it would make theri job harder). They told me it was fine as they use Zeiss magnification. I guess some doctors have their preferences.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to everyone above for the input. I wonder if e.g. Dr Bisanga would carry out FUE on a scalp with SMP? Not sure if anyone knows.

I’d like to revive this topic and get input from more people, as I’m heavily considering getting SMP soon to disguise the thinning areas  (my temples, hairline, blending back into my mid scalp.) I’m honestly just sick of using hair fibres.

Down the line once I’ve settled on a doctor, I will probably want to get a transplant to lower my hairline slightly (my temples are recessed - Norwood 2, but I think with density on them and behind, it could look decent). I did consider getting a HT in the UK but obviously the results have been mediocre / bad, and I don’t want to spend thousands only to end up with a bad result and lost grafts. It’ll have to be one of the top surgeons in the world - but will wait a few years maybe.

More opinions would be greatly appreciated! I may avoid SMP if it means I won’t be able to get a hair transplant in e.g. 3 years.

Edited by Mixed93