Are there warning signs of failed transplant

EriGuy

I am sure I’m probably being a little paranoid as it is still early but I was wondering are there signs to look out for that would indicate the transplant is not taking. It has been 6 weeks since I had my hair transplant and I know it’s still the ugly duckling phase and I shouldn’t expect to see anything until at least 3 months in but I can’t help but be worried. My donor area has healed very nicely and my scabs all fell off weeks ago in the recipient area. But In the last 2-3 weeks I’ve developed some dandruff and the shedding has hit pretty hard. From what I’ve read this is probably normal but I can’t help but feel nervous. I had some weird skin flakes in the middle front of my head that I was peeling off and I would see hair coming with it which worried me if I was taking out transplanted hairs and damaging the growth. I was told that after 2-3 weeks from procedure that transplanted hairs are firmly rooted and are very difficult to remove but is that true. My head looks bad right now and pretty much how I looked before the procedure. Especially the crown which has not shown almost anything. Am I just over thinking things or is there validity to my concerns. Any help is appreciated.

• Valued Contributor

To be honest you have nothing to worry about if you have done your due diligence. The warning signs of a failed hair transplant occur way before surgery commences. Hair mills in places like Turkey, patients basing surgery on a price budget and having unrealistic expectations, heavy marketing, being unwilling to travel to a surgeon/clinic that produces consistent results that mirror the hair loss needs of the patient, etc. These are all warning signs of a potential future failed hair transplant. All the best! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EriGuy said:

I am sure I’m probably being a little paranoid as it is still early but I was wondering are there signs to look out for that would indicate the transplant is not taking. It has been 6 weeks since I had my hair transplant and I know it’s still the ugly duckling phase and I shouldn’t expect to see anything until at least 3 months in but I can’t help but be worried. My donor area has healed very nicely and my scabs all fell off weeks ago in the recipient area. But In the last 2-3 weeks I’ve developed some dandruff and the shedding has hit pretty hard. From what I’ve read this is probably normal but I can’t help but feel nervous. I had some weird skin flakes in the middle front of my head that I was peeling off and I would see hair coming with it which worried me if I was taking out transplanted hairs and damaging the growth. I was told that after 2-3 weeks from procedure that transplanted hairs are firmly rooted and are very difficult to remove but is that true. My head looks bad right now and pretty much how I looked before the procedure. Especially the crown which has not shown almost anything. Am I just over thinking things or is there validity to my concerns. Any help is appreciated.

Yes your over thinking ! Which we have all been guilty of. But everything your writing is normal. Yes the grafts are anchored even after 7 Days. Yes the shredding will happen exactly like your experiencing. Where did you go for your transplant? Thanks 🙏 

6 hours ago, EriGuy said:

Hey Man,

As someone who just passed through the ugly duckling phase, let me assure you. You are not unique! :D

Despite reading about this phase ad nauseum in these forums, I wasn't prepared for how bad it looks! It's s struggle every day to remain calm when you look at your scalp in thee mirror.

And the dandruffy residue with hair on it? Had the same problem and freaked me out. I posted with pics on the forum and also checked with my doctor; completely normal.

Just forgot you had a transplant till Month 4 and continue. You'll be fine. And listen to @Gatsby

I am seriously thinking of starting a "2nd Monthers Anonymous" support group out here

• Administrators

There is no way you will know what the outcome will look like at 6 weeks. Unfortunately, you have to give it time. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, EriGuy said:

You can be worried at like month 5-6 if you dont see growth.

7 hours ago, JC71 said:

Yes your over thinking ! Which we have all been guilty of. But everything your writing is normal. Yes the grafts are anchored even after 7 Days. Yes the shredding will happen exactly like your experiencing. Where did you go for your transplant? Thanks 🙏 

Ok that’s really good to hear. I thought I might just be over thinking it but it’s good to hear that’s the case. I went to Asli Tarcan in Istanbul. I am black and they seemed to be one of the best at HT for African Americans. The whole procedure and process was great I just started getting paranoid because of the ugly duckling phase. Thanks for the help

Man that’s such a relief knowing what I’m going through is normal. Yea I read so much about this entire process and the ugly duckling phase as well but going through it first hand is still so difficult. Having y’all re-affirm this has been very helpful so I appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

There is no way you will know what the outcome will look like at 6 weeks. Unfortunately, you have to give it time. 

Even though I knew this before posting I couldn’t help but worry. But thank you I will remain patient and trust the process. 

6 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Would you be able to show pics and give some more info ? Like how many grafts, your age and if your on Fin ? 

Yea sure. I am 28 years old, received 5100 grafts, not on Fin. This picture is 6 weeks post op. The front middle of my head near the hairline is where I was peeling off some of the dandruff/skin flakes and what really began my worry because it looks bad. 

6E6F81DB-4B2C-4ABD-BDE3-16CC4874A976.jpeg

10 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Would you be able to show pics and give some more info ? Like how many grafts, your age and if your on Fin ? 

And here is how I looked about 9-10 days post op. I thought this looked great even tho it’s obviously the scabs but seeing that to what I am now had me worried. But I will remain patient and hopefully in a couple months I will have some great growth.

B102C159-F664-4A24-AEDF-AAF6FBC749C0.jpeg

12 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Can you show your donor area post op ? That’s a LOT of grafts to be taken in one session 😳

Damn I don’t think I took any post op. I can show how the donor area looks now, I think it has been recovering pretty well? 

97433E2E-EAFA-4B25-995D-0C74749CD4A1.jpeg

3 hours ago, EriGuy said:

Ok that’s really good to hear. I thought I might just be over thinking it but it’s good to hear that’s the case. I went to Asli Tarcan in Istanbul. I am black and they seemed to be one of the best at HT for African Americans. The whole procedure and process was great I just started getting paranoid because of the ugly duckling phase. Thanks for the help

Not that I want to make you worried, but its one of the most dangerous clinics in all of Turkey in my opinion. Would be good if you send some better photos with higher quality, especially on the donor since like 9 out of 10 cases is overharvesting from them.