Surgeon recommendations

Hello. I'm a 25yr old male in NYC considering a hair transplant. Starting losing hair at 18. Started finasteride 1mg a year ago and it's definitely stabilized my hair loss (see photo). Minoxidil doesn't do much (have been using for years). Not sure what Norwood I am -- maybe 3A or 4A? No loss at the crown but grows more slowly than temples and back. Hair is thick and used to be curly but now is still kinky I would say but much looser curls. 

Looking for HT advice and surgeon recommendations. Obviously cost is a factor, and if I can get the same result paying <10k (which is what it would likely be in NYC), I would like to pay less obviously. Can travel wherever so long as it's actually cost effective without compromising quality. In addition, FUE/FUT/DHI? What do people think?

Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 11.52.49 AM.png

4 minutes ago, anyhair said:

Definitely. I guess my question is this: can I get a quality transplant for a total cost of less than 10k which is what I would spend in NYC?

Some of the best Drs happen to be in Spain (Dr Freitas, Dr Couto) or Portugal (Dr Pinto, Dr Ferreira) and Belgium has Dr Bisanga, Dr Mwamba, Dr Feriduni. All could be considered some/if not the best worldwide. So yes its more than worth the travel. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, anyhair said:

Obviously it's cost per graft too. Not sure how many grafts I would need. Any estimates or ballparks?

Consult with as many top clinics as possible ! From what I can tell from your pics it’s going to be 3.5-4K very approximately.. maybe some clinics will go as low as 3k. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, anyhair said:

Obviously it's cost per graft too. Not sure how many grafts I would need. Any estimates or ballparks?

Yeah, I think at least 4 thousand, maybe a little more, to re-build the hairline and frontal temporal areas unless you go extremely conservative with the design. 

• Like 2

Just now, JDEE0 said:

Yeah, I think at least 4 thousand, maybe a little more, to re-build the hairline and frontal temporal areas unless you go extremely conservative with the design. 

Yup, knowing how different the quote ranges can differ I would say anywhere between 3-4.5k will be quoted. We can’t see too much from the pics. 

7 minutes ago, JC71 said:

Yup, knowing how different the quote ranges can differ I would say anywhere between 3-4.5k will be quoted. We can’t see too much from the pics. 

Yeah, I'd agree with your assessment there John. No offence to OP intended, but he seems to have a fairly large head or at least forehead and so I think more grafts will be required for coverage. I've seen many examples of people who have what looks like a similar level of loss, but I would estimate they only need 3000 grafts as their head is just smaller and so there's just less area to cover.

To get a hairline around 8 inches (which is fairly conservative as is) from the glabula for OP here, I do think it will be around 4.5k grafts. In many others who have a similar NW4ish level of loss, it might only take 3-3.5k to get to a far less conservative even 6.5 inches from the glabula as the distance from the top of their skull to their eyebrows is just inches less. Just something to bear in mind @anyhair.

Edited by JDEE0
  • Like 2

• Administrators

What are your expectations? 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, anyhair said:

Hello. I'm a 25yr old male in NYC considering a hair transplant. Starting losing hair at 18. Started finasteride 1mg a year ago and it's definitely stabilized my hair loss (see photo). Minoxidil doesn't do much (have been using for years). Not sure what Norwood I am -- maybe 3A or 4A? No loss at the crown but grows more slowly than temples and back. Hair is thick and used to be curly but now is still kinky I would say but much looser curls. 

Looking for HT advice and surgeon recommendations. Obviously cost is a factor, and if I can get the same result paying <10k (which is what it would likely be in NYC), I would like to pay less obviously. Can travel wherever so long as it's actually cost effective without compromising quality. In addition, FUE/FUT/DHI? What do people think?

Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 11.52.49 AM.png

Would need some better photos, also we havent seen the donor area(the back of the head) at all. Preferably this needs to be taken with longer hair than you have at the moment to be able to know.

11 minutes ago, digi23 said:

Would need some better photos, also we havent seen the donor area(the back of the head) at all. Preferably this needs to be taken with longer hair than you have at the moment to be able to know.

I'm attaching some photos from today. 

IMG_3630.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

• Like 1

Also what you need to know is that you are looking for a conservative hairline like this, to save your donor area for possible future procedures, because it is possible that you will need more in the future, even though you are on finasteride. 

Forgive my PAINT skills :D

image.png.9d9bcdfaf714b463b47d3671c37d6867.png

I will say the hair loss has stabilized significantly. Nioxin #2 is also a daily thing. But yeah, conservative hairline makes sense. To be honest, it's always been relatively high. See some pictures from 2018. ~3 years of loss by this point. I don't have tracking photos prior to this.

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

15 minutes ago, anyhair said:

I will say the hair loss has stabilized significantly. Nioxin #2 is also a daily thing. But yeah, conservative hairline makes sense. To be honest, it's always been relatively high. See some pictures from 2018. ~3 years of loss by this point. I don't have tracking photos prior to this.

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

Yes you dont have a particular big forehead, so it kinda suits you, no need to go very low. It will be great. For FUT if you want the absolute elite you should contact Hattingen in Switzerland, Hasson & Wong in Canada and Dr Blake Bloxham in New York.

Edited by digi23
  • Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, anyhair said:

Not sure what you mean? I guess I'd just like to restore my hairline and make it look full

I mean, you have a Norwood 6 pattern of hair loss. You will eventually lose all of the hair on the top of your head. So your expectations, how much hair you expect, and how much hair you retain is a huge factor in getting surgery. Are you on finasteride?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.