Grief and stress after a hair transplant.

Hi everyone,
I'm going to keep this short.

My pet was in an accident last night and he passed away.
I'm going to miss him so much, there are a lot of emotions between myself and my partner.  He was family, like our child.

I'm aware stress causes hair loss, I'm wondering if such stress could have a negative impact on my FUE transplant?
I'm coming up to two months post operation.  Thanks.

-Sean

Of course, stress is not good for you body, hence it is not good for a HT. But no one can give you a correlation. Look at it this way: Every graft is a mini-organ, which the body by himself has to connect with the blood circuit. Stress won't help with that. 

• Like 1

@SeanToman  Sorry for your loss. Not exactly the same situation but I got laid off 5 months after my HT and it was an incredibly stressful time for me, and was anxious too that it would effect my grafts. 

Also 6 months in I got a pretty bad sunburn on grafts I got into my crown and was super worried about that as well. 

Its been a year since my HT and as far as I can tell the layoff and sunburn had no impact. 

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

Look at it this way: Every graft is a mini-organ, which the body by himself has to connect with the blood circuit. Stress won't help with that. 

Takes about 10 days for the grafts to securely anchor to their new blood supplies. At 8 weeks you're long past that. If the stress is pretty deep and prolonged it might kick some of your hair follicles into the resting phase of the growth cycle and cause some shedding. Worst case scenario it could delay your transplanted hair coming in by a few months but you wouldn't permanently lose them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

@SeanToman  Sorry for your loss. Not exactly the same situation but I got laid off 5 months after my HT and it was an incredibly stressful time for me, and was anxious too that it would effect my grafts. 

Also 6 months in I got a pretty bad sunburn on grafts I got into my crown and was super worried about that as well. 

Its been a year since my HT and as far as I can tell the layoff and sunburn had no impact. 

Thank you for your kind words, I'm very heart broken.  I hope you've found resolution to the laid off issue you experienced.
Glad to hear your hair transplant is doing well!

17 hours ago, ciaus said:

Takes about 10 days for the grafts to securely anchor to their new blood supplies. At 8 weeks you're long past that. If the stress is pretty deep and prolonged it might kick some of your hair follicles into the resting phase of the growth cycle and cause some shedding. Worst case scenario it could delay your transplanted hair coming in by a few months but you wouldn't permanently lose them.

Thanks sir, 
The day after he passed I definitely had more shedding, a solid 20 or so hairs fell out, some that were longer also.  Lots of tingling too.
Beforehand I was only shedding a couple of hairs a day as I think my shedding phase already passed.

Edited by SeanToman

Hi Sean. As a huge animal lover who has a dog who is my family, I am so sorry for what you're going through. I can't imagine that any stress related to the grief you're feeling will permanently affect your grafts, so I would do my best to let the fear of that happening be one less thing for you to worry about. Stressing about your stress will just make it harder on you.

While it's true that stress can cause hair loss, it's my understanding that it's chronic stress that goes on unaddressed for extended periods of time that can take a toll... So take it easy on yourself as you navigate the grieving process, and trust that your hair and grafts will be okay. 

Sending you good vibes and healing energy during a very difficult time. ❤️ 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56