Asian male looking to get first HT with some questions around HT strategy

I have created a post in the past but wasn't able to get the questions I needed answered, so I thought i would be more concise with this post.

This is my hair grown out 1 week after a fresh buzz cut shave all around. I take 1 mg fin daily and 2x rogaine foam. I went for a consultation and was told most likely I would need 2 procedures, with an FUT dense packing the frontal third/mid scalp. And a second addressing the crown.

1.png.6f3102323132492d4b15e17d2832918b.png2.png.25c7f1f1f63b0a9e3498fa3d1011c5d2.png3.png.e9e1f5adfee8e8f09586dfff00b12f27.png

Would love everyone's thoughts on the 2 following questions.

1. After my first procedure, I will have fixed temples and as much coverage as possible in the midscalp. However, I  think should stick with a buzzcut as I have now due to the size of my balding crown + the mini dip in the back won't look so great if I try to grow out my hair. To address the FUT scar, I'm thinking of covering it up with SMP. After that, I can take my time in deciding if I still want to address the crown area or stick with buzzcuts. Any thoughts on my strategy?

2. The slick bald temples and sparse areas in my frontal third, I can see how that can be fixed. However, the surface of my crown appears to be covered mostly by miniaturized hairs, which I assume doesn't leave a lot of room for transplanting new hairs, which means I can't really achieve density in the crown unless they fall out, giving way for more area to work with. Am I thinking about this correctly? If not, please let me now.

• Administrators

If you want to keep buzzing your head I would advise against a hair transplant, the FUT scar will DEFINITELY be visible and so will FUE to an extent. If you're thinking of getting smp why not try a small session of FUE to the hairline and then smp the rest. You could continue wearing your hair buzzed. The crown can be addressed, but you have to consider future surgeries. Getting one hair transplant and being done is definitely not a possibility with your level of hair loss and how much hair you have left to lose. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

19 minutes ago, cloudyhaze said:
I have created a post in the past but wasn't able to get the questions I needed answered, so I thought i would be more concise with this post.

This is my hair grown out 1 week after a fresh buzz cut shave all around. I take 1 mg fin daily and 2x rogaine foam. I went for a consultation and was told most likely I would need 2 procedures, with an FUT dense packing the frontal third/mid scalp. And a second addressing the crown.

1.png.6f3102323132492d4b15e17d2832918b.png2.png.25c7f1f1f63b0a9e3498fa3d1011c5d2.png3.png.e9e1f5adfee8e8f09586dfff00b12f27.png

Would love everyone's thoughts on the 2 following questions.

1. After my first procedure, I will have fixed temples and as much coverage as possible in the midscalp. However, I  think should stick with a buzzcut as I have now due to the size of my balding crown + the mini dip in the back won't look so great if I try to grow out my hair. To address the FUT scar, I'm thinking of covering it up with SMP. After that, I can take my time in deciding if I still want to address the crown area or stick with buzzcuts. Any thoughts on my strategy?

2. The slick bald temples and sparse areas in my frontal third, I can see how that can be fixed. However, the surface of my crown appears to be covered mostly by miniaturized hairs, which I assume doesn't leave a lot of room for transplanting new hairs, which means I can't really achieve density in the crown unless they fall out, giving way for more area to work with. Am I thinking about this correctly? If not, please let me now.

As Melvin says, if I understand you correctly you want to buzz cut even with both the crown and frontal area transplanted? Then its not really any idea to go through with a transplant, you will need to keep your hair longer because the density will not be the same as your other non transplanted hair.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, digi23 said:

As Melvin says, if I understand you correctly you want to buzz cut even with both the crown and frontal area transplanted? Then its not really any idea to go through with a transplant, you will need to keep your hair longer because the density will not be the same as your other non transplanted hair.

Ideally I wouldn't go with a buzzcut, I'm just worried that growing out my hair would hide my FUT, but expose the hole in my crown. My thinking is that after a second HT addressing the crown, i would then truly be able to grow out my hair as all my bases are covered. Does that make sense? The point is I still want to move forward with a HT and look my best while avoiding the scar.

3 minutes ago, cloudyhaze said:

Ideally I wouldn't go with a buzzcut, I'm just worried that growing out my hair would hide my FUT, but expose the hole in my crown. My thinking is that after a second HT addressing the crown, i would then truly be able to grow out my hair as all my bases are covered. Does that make sense? The point is I still want to move forward with a HT and look my best while avoiding the scar.

I would think this through alot. Your crown is dipping quite abit. Your donor looks average.

What is your age? How long have you been on finasteride?

5 minutes ago, digi23 said:

I would think this through alot. Your crown is dipping quite abit. Your donor looks average.

What is your age? How long have you been on finasteride?

Im turning 35 in November and consistently been on Fin since Jan 2020. Might miss a dose 3-5x a month. For reference, I visited Dr Bloxham here in NY,

Edited by cloudyhaze

2 minutes ago, cloudyhaze said:

Im turning 35 in November and consistently been on Fin since Jan 2020. Might miss a dose 3-5x a month. For reference, I visited Dr Bloxham here in NY,

Well if you are ok to take finasteride for the rest of your life and you are sure you want to keep your hair longer, then you can basically go to any ethical Dr, like Bloxham for example and tell him to set up a plan for you. I am no Dr but I just want you to be sure before you through with anything. It might work to do FUT/FUE combo and get good coverage, but that will someone like Bloxham tell you. 

Always when you have quite a large area to cover its difficult to get full coverage. You need to start with FUT, if you dont have a extremely good donor area and maybe amazing neck beard. If you decide on FUT you need to know that the scar will forever be there, you need to keep your hair a little bit longer to hide it, even with SMP it will not be hidden.

26 minutes ago, cloudyhaze said:

Ideally I wouldn't go with a buzzcut, I'm just worried that growing out my hair would hide my FUT, but expose the hole in my crown. 

Have you tried Dermmatch for your crown?  Your crown is wide now and will only get wider.

26 minutes ago, cloudyhaze said:

The point is I still want to move forward with a HT and look my best while avoiding the scar.

Then maybe FUE is the better technique for you.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

23 minutes ago, digi23 said:

Well if you are ok to take finasteride for the rest of your life and you are sure you want to keep your hair longer, then you can basically go to any ethical Dr, like Bloxham for example and tell him to set up a plan for you. I am no Dr but I just want you to be sure before you through with anything. It might work to do FUT/FUE combo and get good coverage, but that will someone like Bloxham tell you. 

Always when you have quite a large area to cover its difficult to get full coverage. You need to start with FUT, if you dont have a extremely good donor area and maybe amazing neck beard. If you decide on FUT you need to know that the scar will forever be there, you need to keep your hair a little bit longer to hide it, even with SMP it will not be hidden.

I recall seeing a bearded member on here that used SMP to address a FUT scar, but I forgot the members name. And I also came across places that do it and it seems like it can hide pretty well. Or is there something Im missing?

9 hours ago, cloudyhaze said:

I recall seeing a bearded member on here that used SMP to address a FUT scar, but I forgot the members name. And I also came across places that do it and it seems like it can hide pretty well. Or is there something Im missing?

Yes ofcourse it is hiding it pretty well but never 100% from every angle. Also the fact that you need to retouch the SMP every once in a while because it fades is another aspect. 

That scar on the video is a quite good looking scar, people heal differently and some get a worse scar.

Edited by digi23

• Administrators
13 hours ago, cloudyhaze said:

Remember, these are best case scenarios, not all smp looks like this, it’s similar to hair transplants, results may vary. Definitely take a look here, if you want to keep your hair short, DO NOT get FUT. I would even advise against FUE, but even FUE smp is noticeable. Really think about it before doing it. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.