Good candidate? Wide variety in different clinic's advice and inputs

Hey guys,

I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time and in terms of research it's been an extremely valuable source to me.

I'm turning to the neverending knowledge here not because I don't feel well educated. I'm quite confident, but now that I've for the first time have reached out to my favourite clinics the big variation in recommendations and estimates has got me confused and to be honest - I've found myself in a little bit of doubt.

Background:

I'm 33 years old and I was born with a quite big forehead. The hairline has receeded a bit, but I'm in a quite alright situation for my age I believe.
I'm on finasteride. 1mg daily. It has kept my hairloss stable and I believe I gained some general density from it. I'm not certain but I think the hairline keeps receeding, but at a very slow rate. Is this common? 

Communicated goals:

When reaching out I've been explicit with my ambition with a potential restoration. A natural and future proof result is my absolute main focus and I want to be realistic about things. I'm only looking for a slight lowering of the hairline along with a somewhat conservative closing of the temples.

Contacted clinics/Doctors:

Dr Bisanga
Dr Feriduni
Dr Lorenzo
Dr De Freitas
Dr Couto
Dr Keser

So far so good. The doctors listed above deliver high-end results on a regular basis. However, as mentioned earlier - the recommendations and estimates have differed significantly. 

The highest estimate has been 2400 grafts and one doctor adviced me not to alter with anything in any way. In other words, the range differs from 0-2400 grafts and then there are estimates from 800grafts, 1400 grafts, 1800 grafts within that range.

I'm attaching the pictures I've sent. Both dry and wet hair can be seen.

Any advice or suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

IMG_6374.jpg

IMG_6375.jpg

IMG_6376.jpg

IMG_6377.jpg

IMG_6378.jpg

IMG_6380.jpg

IMG_6381.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6394.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

IMG_6398.jpg

IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_6396.jpg

• Administrators

You’ve got some great names there, do you live in Europe? Bisanga, Feriduni and De Freitas have all been very impressive. Personally, I would not put Keser up against the others on your list. Have you considered Konior, hasson and wong, and Cooley here in the states? 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for your reply @Melvin- Moderator

Yeah, that's correct - I'm in Europe. Dr Konior is number one all categories, but for a number of reasons I'll stick to this side of the sea.

As per now I'm trying my best to find the right time to do this and the waiting time is quite long for the clinics. 

Anyone that can shime in on why the estimates are so different?

And as mentioned - would greatly appreciate inputs about my situation in general and whether it'd be a good or bad idea to move forward with a restoration at all.

It’s a bit like asking how long is a piece of string at the moment, because you haven’t indicated, or they haven’t indicated, proposed hairline placings. 

You should also expect to het widely differences in opinion once again, if you were to go into clinics and consult with them in person. Pics are a good starting reference, however very seldom do they offer the correct estimations for final decisions on the day of surgery. 

I would recommend, booking in person consults with as many of the clinics on your short list as is possible - I know it’s a hassle, but will be the most accurate way for you to get the answers you seemingly want. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.

The drawn line by @BLE123 is absolutely close to what I'm looking for. It might be that I'm focusing too much on the clinic basically getting back to me with the verdict: don't do it.

I'm aware that surgical restoration should be the last go-to-solution. I'm very interested in hearing opinions about the whole thing possibly being a bad idea or not.

Also @Melvin- Moderator, if you don't mind - could you please elaborate on why Keser is not on the same level as the others in your opinion?

11 minutes ago, ConnorCrosby said:

Thanks guys.

The drawn line by @BLE123 is absolutely close to what I'm looking for. It might be that I'm focusing too much on the clinic basically getting back to me with the verdict: don't do it.

I'm aware that surgical restoration should be the last go-to-solution. I'm very interested in hearing opinions about the whole thing possibly being a bad idea or not.

Also @Melvin- Moderator, if you don't mind - could you please elaborate on why Keser is not on the same level as the others in your opinion?

In my view, you're almost the perfect candidate. Not too young, only a relatively small amount of loss, on fin, good donor from what I can see. Only slight concern is you appear to have some thinning throughout the top but nothing too bad and fin should keep it from going any further, at least for a long time anyway. I've seen patients with less recession get surgery so it is a bit surprising that one of them advised against it - maybe they're just so booked up and don't see you as a more "urgent" case. 

Keser delivers quality results imo, there was just some controversy over whether he uses microscopes or not and one poster kept telling everyone Keser gave him a pluggy hairline but I don't think he ever actually posted any pics. I imagine the varying graft numbers are more down to where they're placing the hairline, if you sent them a pic with exactly what you're looking for then the numbers will probably be a lot more similar.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, ConnorCrosby said:

Thanks guys.

He doesn’t use microscopes, in my opinion, he’s not up there with the elites.  For the cost, I’d go to any of the other names before him. There was a time years ago when he was low-priced and it was a value, but now he’s priced almost equally to De Freitas, and really there’s no comparison.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, BLE123 said:

In my view, you're almost the perfect candidate. Not too young, only a relatively small amount of loss, on fin, good donor from what I can see. Only slight concern is you appear to have some thinning throughout the top but nothing too bad and fin should keep it from going any further, at least for a long time anyway. I've seen patients with less recession get surgery so it is a bit surprising that one of them advised against it - maybe they're just so booked up and don't see you as a more "urgent" case. 

Keser delivers quality results imo, there was just some controversy over whether he uses microscopes or not and one poster kept telling everyone Keser gave him a pluggy hairline but I don't think he ever actually posted any pics. I imagine the varying graft numbers are more down to where they're placing the hairline, if you sent them a pic with exactly what you're looking for then the numbers will probably be a lot more similar.

He did show me in private his hairline. I can confirm. 

View my thread

• Administrators

I would also recommend Dr. Reddy in the UK for your case look at this thread, one of the best hairlines I’ve seen and similar pattern and hair characteristics as you.

View my thread

21 hours ago, BLE123 said:

Appreciate your inputs. I think that the factors bed head and strongest possible bathroom toplight makes it appear more thinning than it is. My hair has also always been on the finer side. Maybe the appearance of things was taken into consideration when advising me not to move forward.

I agree about Keser. I've only seen stellar results from him. And when it comes to pricing @Melvin- Moderator - if I'm not mistaken he's been charging 3.5€/graft for +10 years. I do agree though that there are a couple of names on the list that could be considered even more artistic.

I just want to point out that for me personally pricing is highly secondary. And it probably should be for more people out there. It's better to save up money not being happy with one's natural situation for the time it takes, than rushing into a low price alternative possibly ending up with a sub par or even unnatural result.