Hair trauma article in Derm Surg review by Dr. Lindsey

Wendy and I review an article from Dermatologic Surgery that shows that damaged hair roots don't grow as well as undamaged ones.  DUH.   I've been saying this for years, and growing up farming...it only makes sense.

Now you can't do a hair transplant without damaging hairs.  You can't.  But you CAN minimize damage with microscopic dissecion, trained techs, and FUT surgery.  AND if you have to do FUE...you better pick people that have stronger hairs to withstand avulsion, and you need to weigh the advantages of really skinny puches and smaller scars but no "dirt" around the roots versus a slightly bigger punch, slightly bigger scar, and more tissue protecting the root bulb.  Mind you I'm not suggesting a 2mm derm punch like 2 regional doctors are reported to use...but consider going from 0.7mm to 1.1mm in select patients...may be worth considering.  Since I personally abandoned 0.7mm punches and use a 0.9 to 1.1...our fue results have improved dramatically and noone...not army, not marines, not airforce...has had an fue scar concern here, yet.

The video is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzqRYr9kY7k

Dr. Lindsey

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I guess this could be a drawback of the DHT version of FUE, where the newly excised graft is almost immediately inserted into the recipient slit without quality control.

I would love to see side by side magnified pics of a surgically removed hair follicles - one that is traumatized by the excision and one that remains healthy.

• Valued Contributor

I have a great respect for Dr Lindsey as I have watched and followed many of his videos over the past several years. However I don't believe any surgeon should be asking a patient under sedation and under anesthesia to make a huge decision such as changing plan from FUE to FUT. This could easily cause long term regret down the track if FUT was something they never wanted.  Having said that, Dr Lindsey is an excellent surgeon. My take home experience from this video is for people to do LOTS OF RESEARCH. Just like donor grafts you can never have enough! FUT can and does give you more grafts. However every patient has individual needs and every surgeon has individual talents. The goal in this journey is to match the ideal goal with the ideal talent. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

@Gatsby Dr Lindsay mentions in the video that one of his patients had already been given valium so instead of asking his sedated patient to switch to FUT he had him come back the next day and make the decision. It is technically illegal to change a consent form after a patient has been given sedation so this shows Dr Lindsay following correct protocol. 

• Like 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2021 at 4:21 AM, kirkland said:

I guess this could be a drawback of the DHT version of FUE, where the newly excised graft is almost immediately inserted into the recipient slit without quality control.

I would love to see side by side magnified pics of a surgically removed hair follicles - one that is traumatized by the excision and one that remains healthy.

Various types of follicle injury that are likely to occur during FUE (×60 magnification). A, Total transection. B, Partial transection. C, Paring. D, DP injury. E, Bulb injury. F, Fracture. G, Telogen.  

Various-types-of-follicle-injury-that-are-likely-to-occur-during-FUE-60-magnification.png