Eyebrow transplantation

Hello,

I have had two eyebrow transplants but the hairs stick out and do not lie against the skin like normal eyebrow hairs would do. 
Furthermore, the gaps are also very large and there is also a kind of "hole", a place where no hair grows. What can be done to correct this? Is it possible to make the hair closer and maybe put in more hair so that it looks denser and there are not so many gaps between the hairs? I've been asked several times why my eyebrows don't look natural and why they stick out and don't fit close to the skin. Is there any way to fix this? Somehow the hairs are also thicker/wider than normal eyebrow hairs and don't end up as thin as natural ones. Is there any way to use other hairs that are more like eyebrow hairs?

Which doctor can you recommend me? I live in Berlin. 

Best regards
Alex

• Moderators

They were not placed at an angle. Eyebrows need to be implanted at an extreme angle facing outward, so that they almost lay against the skin. To fix it you will need to have them punched out and re-transplanted at a proper angle. This will probably take several minor sessions to do because you can't extract a graft and then reinsert it at a different angle at the same location.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thanks for your answer. Yes, you are absolutely right, they weren't placed at an angle. Actually, the idea at the second transplantation was that I have to laser out the first transplants and then go for the second try. This is what I did. But the same problem happened again. And it was a horrible time for me to be walking around without any eyebrows for so much time. Which would be the best doctor for this? 

I have corresponded with several patients who were also disappointed with their eyebrow transplant procedures...and each case had the same issue as yours, an unnatural direction of the hair as it grows.

As BeHappy stated, it's an angle issue...to be more specific, the recipient incisions must be done at what is called a "hyper-acute" angle so the hair grows flatter against the surface.

The secondary issue has been that the grafts selected were too coarse and when growth occurs, the hair tends to look somewhat incompatible with the native eyebrow hair which for many individuals has a much softer grade of hair.  IMHO, the donor grafts should be selected and only done by FUE so that the surgeon can cherry pick "softer texture" donor hair....some individuals vie for using nape hair.

Lastly, hair can potentially become coarser simply from cutting it to short lengths over time so that should become part of the equation in the decision making process...accepting the fact that transplanted hair to the eyebrows will need continual trimming.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I know Dr. Konior does eyebrow transplants.  Everything said about angling and utilizing nape hair is spot on.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the answers!

Gillenator: You are right, the angle is so important. I wonder why some offer eyebrow transplants if they can't get the angle right. What do you think about Dr. Epstein? He has done a lot of eyebrow transplantations, but I am a little worried because it seems that a lot of people de-recommend him here. So I would like to see some results, which leaded the people to think that he isn't good, so I can see what I can expect. Do you know where I can see them?

You are right also with the second point, I wonder why they didn't take hair from the neck area or somewhere else. Is that harder to do, or why do they don't do it? 

Aaron1234: I will check him out. Good to hear that we all think that the angling is key. 

Alex, the honest truth is that I have not seen very much of Dr. Epstein’s work with eye brow restoration and I am assuming you are referring to the one in the Miami area?

The other thing about nape hair is that  it is very difficult to pre-determine if it will last once transplanted…it really is a roll of the dice and why I feel the best gauge is to evaluate any existing nape hair in the older men on either side of your family…talk with the men who clearly still have it growing on their necks…if they need to be consistently shaving it, that’s a good sign that it’s a viable donor source.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Yes, generally speaking, either gender would apply.

Gillenator