I'm two weeks post - op. 28 years old for reference. 

My recipient area is now a lot darker than my native skin (almost purple), and it's creating a very unnatural and unfortunate appearance. It's obvious that I had a hair transplant as of now. 

I wanted to check with everyone here on if this is normal or if I need to do something immediately. I can't afford to have this appearance given I can't wear a hat to work. Has anyone had any treatments to fix the scarring / hyperpigmentation in similar cases? How early can you do this?

Can dermmatch hide this? 

20210916_035429.jpg

20210916_035316.jpg

20210916_035201.jpg

20210916_035019.jpg

20210916_035037.jpg

Edited by Purple

42 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

This is totally natural and to be expected from a hair transplant. It will fade in time which can vary from person to person. It's absolutely nothing to be alarmed about and to be expected.

Thanks, appreciate your response! Was worried because given I have darker skin, I wasn't anticipating much "redness". Feel my skin just got darker vs red

• Like 1

This darker skin tone is the "redness" that everyone refers to. Unfortunately it is a part of surgery and everyone heals differently. However, this will most likely linger for at least 1 full month. In certain cases it can actually stay red for 3-6 months even after follicles have shed and started regrowth. You just have to understand that you're going to have signs of surgery for quite some time. It it not a benign procedure at all. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

2 hours ago, BDK081522 said:

This darker skin tone is the "redness" that everyone refers to. Unfortunately it is a part of surgery and everyone heals differently. However, this will most likely linger for at least 1 full month. In certain cases it can actually stay red for 3-6 months even after follicles have shed and started regrowth. You just have to understand that you're going to have signs of surgery for quite some time. It it not a benign procedure at all. 

Thanks, do you think an dermatology products will expedite the recovery of this (e.g. Chemical peels, vbeam etc)? 

Yeah, perfectly normal. I had a deeper red hue (not purple, though) and it went away naturally.

17 minutes ago, Purple said:

Thanks, do you think an dermatology products will expedite the recovery of this (e.g. Chemical peels, vbeam etc)? 

Stay away from any products for now on the recipient area! Specially chemical peel! For the first month or so, all i used there was saline sprays till first headwash and then distilled water + baby shampoo

• Like 1

Definitely DO NOT do any sort of cosmetic treatment to the recipient area such as a chemical peel or laser treatment. The skin is healing. The redness comes from the multifactorial physiologic process that takes place after thousands of new follicles have just showed up to a new area. There's cell proliferation, vascular neogenesis, and many other things happening and you just have to let nature take its course. Is it really worth jeopardizing your result and wasting all that money just to camouflage redness? Maybe you didn't research enough beforehand because this is completely normal and to be expected. Unless you kept your hair long and wore it down covering the transplanted area there's always signs of surgical intervention for months after a hair transplant. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

4 hours ago, BDK081522 said:

Definitely DO NOT do any sort of cosmetic treatment to the recipient area such as a chemical peel or laser treatment. The skin is healing. The redness comes from the multifactorial physiologic process that takes place after thousands of new follicles have just showed up to a new area. There's cell proliferation, vascular neogenesis, and many other things happening and you just have to let nature take its course. Is it really worth jeopardizing your result and wasting all that money just to camouflage redness? Maybe you didn't research enough beforehand because this is completely normal and to be expected. Unless you kept your hair long and wore it down covering the transplanted area there's always signs of surgical intervention for months after a hair transplant. 

Get what you're saying. The reason I was alarmed was because when you search online, there isn't much precedent for skin getting this dark, and "redness" was mainly experienced in more fair skinned individuals. Also being two weeks out, it seems the majority of patients online didn't have this, hence my cause for concern. Agreed that it isn't worth messing up the transplant, I'll likely try and cover it with dermmatch