Frontal third HT...hair styles limited..?

After seeing so many results - the good, the bad and the ugly - i have noticed that the main hairstyle that is often sported in the results photos is that of hair slicked backwards...

I can't imagine this hairstyle would suit me at all, i just don't have the face for it

So am i right in thinking this hairstyle is most common as it creates an illusion of density while simply covering the midscalp..?

Would a fringe simply be impossible after getting just a frontal third done?

A fringe is actually the most optimal because the hair lays flat and forward.  Think Antonio Conte.

Slicked back works if you have a dense enough hairline, and can help to cover weaker areas behind.

• Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I used to have fringe before but over the years I have lost density on the top area. I only had front hairline transplant so I moved to using the backward brushed airstyle but not extremely. It depends if you do not have density on top areas and only did frontal transplant then Fringe may not work best.

I was also not sure but once I got used to new hairstyle it seems to be fine. Getting density on the top scalp region is a big effort by transplant so for now back or top brush works

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think there are several reasons why you see a lot of men comb their hair back after a transplant.

1. It seems to be a popular hair style these days even in men who haven't had a hair transplant, so you're going to have more men using that style after a hair transplant.

2. A lot of men want to show off their new hairline. They don't have to spend an hour trying to style it just right to cover their receding hair and it seems like kind of a waste to not show off the fact that you do actually have a great hairline now.

3. Sometimes the hairline becomes the main focus of the transplant because "that's what everyone sees" and you end up with a nice band of hair in front, but some thinness behind it and you end up with getting the best look if you comb it back to cover the mid scalp thinning.

4. Growing hair long and combing it back can help cover a thin or bald crown that hasn't been transplanted or maybe only transplanted very thinly.

With all that, there is really no reason why you can't pull off other styles depending on how much hair you have. Try different styling options and pick what you like.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:08 PM, BeHappy said:

3. Sometimes the hairline becomes the main focus of the transplant because "that's what everyone sees" and you end up with a nice band of hair in front, but some thinness behind it and you end up with getting the best look if you comb it back to cover the mid scalp thinning.

This is kind of my suspicion / fear, a fear that my mid scalp would seem thin / miniaturised in comparison to the freshly implanted and hopefully dense hairline.... being stuck with that hairstyle, a hairstyle which doesnt suit me would almost make a HT pointless in my case....

On 9/15/2021 at 8:56 PM, TEXAN35 said:

I used to have fringe before but over the years I have lost density on the top area. I only had front hairline transplant so I moved to using the backward brushed airstyle but not extremely. It depends if you do not have density on top areas and only did frontal transplant then Fringe may not work best.

I was also not sure but once I got used to new hairstyle it seems to be fine. Getting density on the top scalp region is a big effort by transplant so for now back or top brush works

Yeah, density on top is important right. I feel that my midscalp, while it still has hair, may seem different to the transplanted frontal third... preventing me from having my hair forward...