Does anyone alternate Fin and Dut?

NYHAIR32

Hi all,

Been on Fin 11 years and am noticing some thinning around hairline. I've started taking Dut 1x a week. I've been doing this for five months but don't see much difference. I am thinking to alternate Fin and Dut, going with Dut 3x a week EOD and Fin 4x on the other days. I am wondering if anyone else does something like this or not? Thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Cheers 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NYHAIR32 said:

Hi all,

Been on Fin 11 years and am noticing some thinning around hairline. I've started taking Dut 1x a week. I've been doing this for five months but don't see much difference. I am thinking to alternate Fin and Dut, going with Dut 3x a week EOD and Fin 4x on the other days. I am wondering if anyone else does something like this or not? Thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Cheers 

Personally haven't tried that yet, but will look to add topical duta once a week in the future. But my question to you is how did you maintain after 11 years of fin? did you find it to be effective for your hair loss?

5 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

Personally haven't tried that yet, but will look to add topical duta once a week in the future. But my question to you is how did you maintain after 11 years of fin? did you find it to be effective for your hair loss?

I never considered topical dut, but I will take a closer look into it. It seems quite a few people are using it these days. Are the results promising?

I am 32 now and got on the big three when I was 21. I did it as a precaution. My entire family (mom included) has really high hairlines and deep temple recession, but mostly they all have their hair except for one grandfather and one uncle. My hair receded like the rest of my family when I was about 16 and it hasn't changed much since then (touch wood). I am guessing that fin may have played a role in that maintenance, but it's hard to tell. A lot of hair loss treatments seem to be feeling your way through the dark in a very individual way. 

All I know is that I am losing ground around the temples, so I need to try something.

13 minutes ago, NYHAIR32 said:

I never considered topical dut, but I will take a closer look into it. It seems quite a few people are using it these days. Are the results promising?

I am 32 now and got on the big three when I was 21. I did it as a precaution. My entire family (mom included) has really high hairlines and deep temple recession, but mostly they all have their hair except for one grandfather and one uncle. My hair receded like the rest of my family when I was about 16 and it hasn't changed much since then (touch wood). I am guessing that fin may have played a role in that maintenance, but it's hard to tell. A lot of hair loss treatments seem to be feeling your way through the dark in a very individual way. 

All I know is that I am losing ground around the temples, so I need to try something.

Hi Mate,

Are you still on the big three?  Just started Propecia and tempted to add Minoxidil.....but concerned whether it really helps long term?

I do.

I take fin and Minox everyday... Last week I got topical duta with 7% Minox, so I use the topical duta 2x a week. The doc said I can still take fin tablet once a day while using the topical duta 2x a week.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sukisails said:

Hi Mate,

Are you still on the big three?  Just started Propecia and tempted to add Minoxidil.....but concerned whether it really helps long term?

Yea, I am. I do Rogaine foam in the morning evening on the hair line. I honestly don't think it does much. I have maintained at the hair line, but I certainly haven't had any regrowth. I figure just keep with it, but I honestly doubt it is is doing anything at the hairline. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pomloe said:

I do.

I take fin and Minox everyday... Last week I got topical duta with 7% Minox, so I use the topical duta 2x a week. The doc said I can still take fin tablet once a day while using the topical duta 2x a week.

A lot of people have been talking about topical duta. What made you start to do it and is it easy to get? 

14 minutes ago, NYHAIR32 said:

A lot of people have been talking about topical duta. What made you start to do it and is it easy to get? 

Very easy, just google Strut Health, they give you an online RX with a doctor.

I read topical duta is very effective, less side effects than oral duta, and very beneficial if you take it 1-2x a week along with finasteride and minoxidil everyday.

On 8/27/2021 at 10:54 PM, pomloe said:

Very easy, just google Strut Health, they give you an online RX with a doctor.

I read topical duta is very effective, less side effects than oral duta, and very beneficial if you take it 1-2x a week along with finasteride and minoxidil everyday.

Checked it out. Thanks! Will look into it. Also might look into dermarolling and some other things in the meantime. 

I have been on and off fin for years as a strategy to never get too used to it. Fin hasn't lost effectiveness for me after 11 years....i don't know if it's natural or if it's due to the breaks I've had. I go through cycles of my hair looking great, then taking anywhere up to a year off, have my hair start to look thinner again and then go back on fin and repeat the cycle.

There was a time when I took 1 or 2 duta tablets a week because I switched to a generic fin and lost ground.....it worked well. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Is it common for Dut users to continue with Fin?  I always thought it was one or the other.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

When Dutesteride came out we learned from the Merck rep, Glasko would not pursue FDA approval as their test showed no difference in the efficacy when compared with Finasteride.  They decided to rely on word of mouth.  Thus, if you were to alternate, (regardless of how you decide to alternate), the results would be the same as if you had been taking either medication for the long haul.  But wait......are the components exactly the same? Never checked but I doubt it.  Perhaps by alternating you would be taking advantage of both? 

No, I do not think it's common. And no, it does not have to be one or the other, (but it could).

Much research has been done on the subject and little has changed in 15 years.  Many share their concern regarding the potential side effect but I think most just rely on hearsay.  My approach has always been, It increases testosterone slightly - so you should be performing better.  Take it for a year and, based on the results, you can decide if it is for you.  It has work for me and it is likely I will be on it for the rest of my life.  I would like horrendous without hair!

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.