Dr. Bisanga - Oral Minoxidil and Topical Finasteride

In this episode of "Bitesize with Bisanga", Dr. Bisanga discusses the experience of his patient´s and how they have achieved better results when combining oral minoxidil with topical finasteride.

• Like 3

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

How often do patients on oral min experience side effects?  

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Interesting. Is oral minox and topical fin producing better results than topical fin and topical minox? 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• 1 month later...

Informative video. Can someone help me better understand the need for hair growth meds/topicals?  I've never used them before.  I'm considering doing a HT.  Are meds part of the formula for HT success?  Do I just take them during the post-op growth period?  Can I stop after?  Or is this like a lifelong maintenance requirement post-HT?  Thanks!

18 minutes ago, sbguy01 said:

Informative video. Can someone help me better understand the need for hair growth meds/topicals?  I've never used them before.  I'm considering doing a HT.  Are meds part of the formula for HT success?  Do I just take them during the post-op growth period?  Can I stop after?  Or is this like a lifelong maintenance requirement post-HT?  Thanks!

You can get some benefits from taking them in the months before and after HTs, in terms of helping to limit shock loss and maximizing blood flow and nutrients to the newly transplanted hairs. But its best to stay on the meds for life in terms of minimizing how many transplants you're going to need down the road. Unfortunately some guys are just not going to have enough donor hair for transplantation to make up for what they're going to lose. When you stop taking Finasteride the DHT levels flowing through your blood rise back up to their normal levels, which leads to more of it binding to your hair follicle receptors causing miniaturization until the hairs are so small you can't see them. Minoxidil is less important because it doesn't actually halt or slow your hair loss, but it does extend your hair growth cycle lengths and makes your hairs thicker while they are visible, helping to give you a fuller head of hair look.

8 hours ago, ciaus said:

You can get some benefits from taking them in the months before and after HTs, in terms of helping to limit shock loss and maximizing blood flow and nutrients to the newly transplanted hairs. But its best to stay on the meds for life in terms of minimizing how many transplants you're going to need down the road. Unfortunately some guys are just not going to have enough donor hair for transplantation to make up for what they're going to lose. When you stop taking Finasteride the DHT levels flowing through your blood rise back up to their normal levels, which leads to more of it binding to your hair follicle receptors causing miniaturization until the hairs are so small you can't see them. Minoxidil is less important because it doesn't actually halt or slow your hair loss, but it does extend your hair growth cycle lengths and makes your hairs thicker while they are visible, helping to give you a fuller head of hair look.

Thanks Ciaus.  I'm not sure I want to be on meds for life.  Will discuss this on my next consult with a doc as well.