When consulting with a HTS, is there an ideal way to answer the question 'what hairline were you thinking of'?

I usually just send a rough sketch with the note 'looking to defer to surgeons recommendations'. But I was wondering if there would be a more helpful answer to provide to them. 

There are probably people who have a strong vision for what they want. 

For other people, there may be more conservative / liberal approaches in terms of number of grafts and maturity of the look. 

Is it also possible there are multiple ideal hairlines for a person?

• Moderators

Most people are trying to get back to something similar to what they once looked like, so the best thing to do is look at older pictures of yourself when you had more hair. That's the best starting point if you are not sure what type of hairline you want. You can show the Dr the older photos of yourself with hair, so he has an idea of what to do. I don't think letting the Dr completely design your hairline is the right way to go. He doesn't know what you used to look like before you lost your hair. Now, of course, depending on how much hair you have in the photos you show him, he will have to make adjustments, but the idea is to get a similar hairline style as you once had except it may need to be higher. The placement of the hairline is where you let the Dr use more of his judgement and expertise after discussing the hairline style.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Careful! At one point I was 18....That was a long time ago.  If I had that hairline........This can truly get you into trouble.  Can you imagine a 60 something year old with a youthful hairline? The only people who can pull this off are those with full sets of hair who've never lost a hair in their lives. A better approach is education.

Consult with various doctors.  Give your opinion.  If the doctor is legit, ethical and knows what he's doing, he'll work with you and give you his opinion.  His job is to do what you want, but also to keep you from making long range mistakes.  If you were adamant about placing grafts in the middle of the forehead, I am hoping, he'll refuse to work on you and send you home.  Have you heard of the rule of 3's?

From the chin to the nose, from the nose to the bridge and from the bridge to the hairline.  This is a universal rule that artist have used for centuries. Not only does it allow for a balanced hairline, it will also be age appropriate.  Pattern appropriate? I don't know about that....but the ethical doctor will consider this and give you more receded temporal points, etc.  

It is always important, in my view, to stay conservative.  Perhaps even consider starting a bit farther back than what's recommended.  A couple of things to keep in mind.  Hair in the front grows forward at an angle.  Thus, that in itself will lower the hairline a bit.  The other point is the fact you can always add grafts, (you can never take them back).  

This is all part of the research you should be doing.......

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators

The ideal hairline is something that looks appropriate, not only when you’re 30, but when you’re 50,60 and onwards.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I mean, just be honest. Part of it is up to the doctor to temper your expectations and discuss with you what hairline they envision for you. Though obviously you should have realistic expectations of what you're looking for as well. Nothing wrong with answering the question truthfully unless you've got an unethical surgeon who isn't looking at your future