How Long Does Wiry Hair Last Post-Op?

• Administrators

There’s been some questions regarding the wiry texture of hair post-op. Primarily, what are the causes, and how long does it last. 

The Causes

The main cause of this texture is trauma caused from the hair transplant. So is your surgeon to blame? No. Hair transplantation by nature causes trauma, you are excising hair follicles and then transplanting them, that is surgical trauma to your scalp, it it wasn’t you wouldn’t need anesthesia. 

At first hair grows vellus thin and light, as it grows it may start to kink and curl. This is absolutely normal. It will not last forever trust me.

How long does it last  

The timeframe may vary between person to person, but in my experience it lasted over a full year. Below is a picture of my hair at 14 months post-op. As you can see there’s still a good deal of curl and kink, even with pomade. The last set of pictures are at 3 years post-op, the hair has no kinks or curls and without any product.

14 months post-op

C65BFADE-3693-46A8-8E80-3053DA4B7F85.png44AD7D5E-BEAA-47B6-BE5D-0DEABDF4160F.png

3 Years post-op

401C3F05-F296-4159-9A44-D254582CABAF.jpegB7D1D81F-2169-427B-9BEF-225E62E1393D.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I’m almost at 12 months and mine is still pretty wiry. So much so that I considered a keratin treatment to fix it. I do hope it calms down soon. It will likely take me longer to notice improvements since I am growing my hair long, so I’m not cutting the ends off, which will remain wiry 

Edited by EvoXOhio

• Administrators
3 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

I’m almost at 12 months and mine is still pretty wiry. So much so that I considered a keratin treatment to fix it. I do hope it calms down soon. It will likely take me longer to notice improvements since I am growing my hair long, so I’m not cutting the ends off, which will remain wiry 

Don't do the Keratin treatment, it will ruin your hair. My friend has naturally curly hair and he has hair of the gods. After he did the treatment he looked like he was slightly thinning. It burnt his hair. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

13 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Don't do the Keratin treatment, it will ruin your hair. My friend has naturally curly hair and he has hair of the gods. After he did the treatment he looked like he was slightly thinning. It burnt his hair. 

Yeah I have gone back and forth but ultimately decided against it. I have seen tons of amazing video reviews of great results, but then also read horror stories like yours and even worse ones. Sounds like it’s hit or miss, or it’s easy for the barber to do it wrong. Definitely not worth the risk. 

• Administrators
13 hours ago, EvoXOhio said:

Yeah I have gone back and forth but ultimately decided against it. I have seen tons of amazing video reviews of great results, but then also read horror stories like yours and even worse ones. Sounds like it’s hit or miss, or it’s easy for the barber to do it wrong. Definitely not worth the risk. 

A flat iron, while looking feminine works best IMO. Especially with long hair.

View my thread

2 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

A flat iron, while looking feminine works best IMO. Especially with long hair.

With my hair, using either a flat iron or a hair dryer leaves my hair looking so flat. I have considerably more volume when I towel dry my hair. 

but even if that wasn’t the case, the thought of having to flat iron my hair every day would make my ancestors turn in their graves. 😂

• Haha 1