Dr. Bisanga - Use of Oral Minoxidil for Patients

@Raphael84 Has Dr. Bisanga noticed an increase in density of beard and eyebrow hair with patients on oral minoxidil?  And at what dosage does he prefer for oral minoxidil? Thanks!

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

@aaron1234
Thanks for your question. I remember following some of your crown restorations back in the day so great to see you active again and doing well.

Dr. Bisanga recommends and prescribes  5mg oral minoxidil. Hypertrichosis can be a "side effect" of the medication with increased hair growth in other body areas. 
Whilst I haven't heard of too many examples of an increase in eye brow hair, I personally feel that I have experienced this but in a positive way as mine were thinner. Some patients use topical minoxidil and apply that to the beard with some success and so the mechanism of the medication would suggest that this is logical.

• Like 2

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Great video.  What is Dr. Bisanga's thoughts regarding Oral Minoxidil causing collagen breakdown of the skin?  As well as dark circles around the eyes?  Is this seen in clinical practice?  Thanks

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Raphael84 said:

@aaron1234
Thanks for your question. I remember following some of your crown restorations back in the day so great to see you active again and doing well.

Dr. Bisanga recommends and prescribes  5mg oral minoxidil. Hypertrichosis can be a "side effect" of the medication with increased hair growth in other body areas. 
Whilst I haven't heard of too many examples of an increase in eye brow hair, I personally feel that I have experienced this but in a positive way as mine were thinner. Some patients use topical minoxidil and apply that to the beard with some success and so the mechanism of the medication would suggest that this is logical.

On the subject of eyebrow hair, I'm not sure if I have MORE but I do think the individual hairs are growing a bit longer on average and just a little bit thicker as a result. This is also true of any non scalp body hair in my case. No visible hair where there wasn't before though.

Also 5mg daily, for those wondering. Just an anecdote.

14 hours ago, Style22 said:

What is Dr. Bisanga's thoughts regarding Oral Minoxidil causing collagen breakdown of the skin?  As well as dark circles around the eyes?  Is this seen in clinical practice?

Any medication will have a list of potential side effects associated with its usage. This we see with all medication and we can use finasteride as an example due to its relevance on this forum, much in terms of side effects will depend on the sensitivity of each individuals physiology. Based on each individuals personal health and family history, a medication that may be effective and appropriate for one person, may not be for another.

That is why that we would suggest that as with any medication, you are advised to see your own GP/family doctor who will have the benefit of your medical history and can further advise you and answer your questions with regards to suitability and if there are any concerning side effects in your case. Based on their recommendations you can decide if it may be an option for you, your doctor can then list it on your medical history and if you do experience any side effects, he has knowledge to be able to advise you further.

There are many independent studies that have been released that list most common side effects and further details based on clinical trials and conclude the safety of oral minoxidil at low dosage.

Here is a thorough video explaining research and conclusions behind various emerging options of medical therapy (regenerative medicine), including oral minoxidil.

• Like 3

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• 1 year later...

Hey Dr. Bisanga and team!

I would like to get some recommendations on when oral minox becomes ineffective.

I have been using for around 9 months (first 3 at 2.5mg and the rest 5mg). Over the last 2 months my density has greatly decreased and imo 5mg is no longer effective.

I will add that while in the beginning I used to get tachycardia for a little bit after taking my daily dose, I no longer have any physical sides except a slightly faster heart rate.

Do you all have many studies of people using oral minox only over 1 year with continual results?