People don't talk enough about the planning and waiting stages...

I know most topics focus on results and patient experiences (and for good reason!), but I feel that the waiting planning stages of getting a hair transplant deserve some more consideration.

Several reasons why:

1. A fair bit of time off from work needs to be taken. Now the work from home situation helps with not going straight back into the office and everyone asking what happened to your head haha, but still at least 2 weeks PTO should probably be taken to make sure those initial, crucial recovery days go well.

2. Often the desired surgeons have very long waiting lists...so your surgery may be scheduled up to a year or maybe even more in advance. Now you have to plan out your life quite a bit ahead around that time. Have a friend's wedding around then? A graduation? Some other important event? Everything needs to somehow be planned, or rather re-planned, around your transplant date and the recovery time.

3. The ugly duckling stage...if you aren't in a committed relationship this means you are pretty much out of dating commission for a few months at least lol. 

4. Career change inconvenience. Planning to change your job at any point before your transplant isn't really feasible...as upon changing it you will be taking a fair bit of time off and if it's customer facing especially, this will be a no go. So, any plans to change jobs/ move are best saved for after the transplant date. Again, if this is like 6 months or so away, it creates an annoying limbo state.

5. Informing close family and friends. Perhaps this is unnecessary, but if you see some family members frequently they may inquire what you did. Not a big deal if you are open about it but let's face it, male pattern baldness isn't really looked at sympathetically by the general public, so it may be an awkward topic to discuss with them.

These are what I could think of at the moment but I'm sure there are many more.

• Like 1

totally agree with everything you said and it's something I've thought of too...

if I had to go back into work after 2 weeks of FUT, I would've felt so self conscious. even with the redness in the recipient site would've been brutal if you went FUE and the donor was at an acceptable look.

Id say I didnt look "presentable" until like 3-3.5 months.

you really do need to have nothing going on in your life when you pull the trigger

Edited by hairlossPA
  • Like 1

I can certainly understand how all these factors may sway someone into just picking the convenient choice. The clinic 15 minutes away from home, no travel needed, the doctor will see you next week, the price is reasonable...why wait a year when the convenient option is right there ready to be seized...

Maybe the result is even good enough for your needs, so why go through the extra hassle...

It certainly does mess with one's mind a bit.

Also waiting for minimum 6-12 months    that some doctors require you to be on finasteride. For me just wanting to pull the trigger and get a HT, but knowing better, that it’s in my best interest to wait.

• Moderators

If you live in an area that has several months of a cold, snowy season then schedule your hair transplant at the beginning of that season. Then you can easily get away with wearing hoodies and hats whenever you go out and not worry much about anyone seeing your hair or even thinking something is up. Once the warmer weather comes, you've gotten past the first 3 to 4 months. Now work could be another issue, but that depends on what your job is.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.