Why is my hair thinning on the sides/below temples?

Hello everyone,

Can you please help me see what is going on with My hair on sides and below temples. The past few months I've noticed that my hair got noticeable thinner with small patches here and there. I have attached pics on the sides. Is it regular alopecia or alopecia areata, or perhaps due to increased stress and ciggaretes smoking? 20210522_102720.thumb.jpg.a6958b2a6da10548883b43695ecd29d2.jpg

20210522_102639.jpg

Edited by Falconary

• Falconary changed the title to Why is my hair thinning on the sides/below temples?
  • Moderators

It looks normal to me. A lot of people's hair is thinner in that area. Mine is a lot worse than what you are showing.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

That's a pretty small area your pointing to, could just be some growth cycling in/out. The resting and shedding phases can last about 6 months. Its happening all over our heads with random hairs. That's why even healthy non-balding people shed about 100 hairs a day.

https://www.healthline.com/health/stages-of-hair-growth

Are you on any meds currently? Because there are other places showing loss too. The front edges on the top and sides are usually very sensitive to DHT and the first to start showing recession and thinning. Finasteride may help you hold to them longer by lowering your DHT. Minoxidil would thicken the hairs and lengthen their growth cycles so you have more growing at the same time.

Its important not to delay too long on whether you want to just let nature take its course. Try shaving it all off and let your beard grow out, see if you like it. If you do that's a much easier and cheaper solution. 

image.png.73354ca0482fd4f54ff61cb285c257b9.png

image.png.f2a9a15cfb68d59c46b761ca3eb92a3d.png

11 hours ago, BeHappy said:

It looks normal to me. A lot of people's hair is thinner in that area. Mine is a lot worse than what you are showing.

But the thing is that It wasnt this thin with small patches here and there just a couple months ago, and I've planned to do HT so this got me worried. But I dont know, it could just be normal shedding phase.

10 hours ago, ciaus said:

That's a pretty small area your pointing to, could just be some growth cycling in/out. The resting and shedding phases can last about 6 months. Its happening all over our heads with random hairs. That's why even healthy non-balding people shed about 100 hairs a day.

https://www.healthline.com/health/stages-of-hair-growth

Are you on any meds currently? Because there are other places showing loss too. The front edges on the top and sides are usually very sensitive to DHT and the first to start showing recession and thinning. Finasteride may help you hold to them longer by lowering your DHT. Minoxidil would thicken the hairs and lengthen their growth cycles so you have more growing at the same time.

Its important not to delay too long on whether you want to just let nature take its course. Try shaving it all off and let your beard grow out, see if you like it. If you do that's a much easier and cheaper solution. 

I hope its just a shedding/resting phase, but also worried since I want to do HT in 4-5 months. Ive lost much hair on the temples and front/middle scalp so thats why I want to do HT. I've pretty much shave everything of twice every month and rock a beard, it suits me pretty well but Im getting tired of this one look. I dont take any meds or minoxidil. I tried fin but got sides and quit. 

A couple of things.  First, your hair is rather short.  Could be a haircut issue. 2nd, you have dark hair and light scalp and the contrast makes it worse than what it is.  First thing to do is to let your hair grow for 2 weeks and post another set of photos.  The separation between hairs does seem to be greater in the area of concern.  Sorry to hear you had issues with Fin.  Can you tell us what exactly you experienced.  There are modalities you could try.  Rogaine, laser, PRP.  You also have SMP as an alternative.  

Do you have family history of hair loss?

Have you consulted with a physician?

You may consider eventually doing a full panel.  Perhaps something is causing the issue.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.