Need advice on deciding on hair transplant options, UK - 700 or 1200 grafts? first time

Hey guys I'm looking to get a small transplant operation to fill in mainly my temples and adjust hairline.

I've seen 2 places in London, one is with a Dr I know for 3-4 years who first prescribed me Finastride. He saw me in person and the pictures attached are from him. He is suggesting to me either consider a densification procedure of your existing hairline which refers to the higher line in the photos attached. This would require 600-700 grafts and would cost £3000. The other option is to have our temples restored down to the bottom line as per the pictures. This would require 1000-1200 grafts and would cost £4000. Both can be done as a minimally shaven procedure.

Then there is another clinic in UK that I did a Virtual Consultation with who quoted me 6000GBP for 2000 Grafts. When I told this to the London based one he laughed and said he doesn't know how and why they quoted 2000 grafts.

Based on my pictures can someone advise me what I should do?
Should I go with 600-700 grafts - which goes to the higher line in the pics attached
Or have temples restored down at 1000-1200 grafts

Also your opinions on the 6K price given for 2K grafts by the other clinic?

I don't want to say who they are yet as I have noticed based on who is the clinic, people make assumptions quickly.

Any thoughts to this?

I put the pics here, I don't know why they are not adding when I do attach files - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rroepxbq0vdhn6y/AAA-t6JIG0h9RGO9lB9XHhria?dl=0

20210420_092333.jpg

20210420_092320.jpg

20210420_092326.jpg

I would be surprised if you got the shape and density you wanted from 700 grafts unless you intend to have further procedures. 12-1500 seems more realistic to build the front density even from a conservative perspective. And I would be wary of clinics that trash talk other clinics to make themselves look better, different doctors will quote different graft totals depending on their approach and style, that's the whole point of getting multiple consults and building your own picture from the feedback. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Richie888 said:

I would be surprised if you got the shape and density you wanted from 700 grafts unless you intend to have further procedures. 12-1500 seems more realistic to build the front density even from a conservative perspective. And I would be wary of clinics that trash talk other clinics to make themselves look better, different doctors will quote different graft totals depending on their approach and style, that's the whole point of getting multiple consults and building your own picture from the feedback. 

Wise words 👏 personally think somewhere around 1500-2000 grafts most likely. Always difficult to tell by pics alone. Very good point regarding a clinic commenting on another’s opinion. 

Edited by JohnAC71

I had far less extensive and 'shallower' hair loss/miniaturisation and had just over 2k grafts solely in and just behind the hairline. I think yours looks as if it's moving towards the midscalp, along with temple recession. The closing of the proposed transplanted area looks pretty high on the lateral hump in your first pic, too? I used to go to the gym with a guy who'd had a (poor quality, old school plug) transplant and the top was completely disconnected from the sides. 

others are likely to know more/may disagree, but wouldn't be surprised if this required circa 3k grafts to achieve desired density. 

Edited by rj.

It’s quite hard to determine the proposed hairline on your pics because it is drawn on so faintly - however from where I think I can make it out to be at - you are looking at over 2000 for appropriate density. 

• Like 1

Damn not what i was hoping to hear but I guess it is what it is. Both of them have really good records - and gave examples of type of others similar to me. For example one on them I'll say is this and he gave these 2 references that are similar to me he felt - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvwd2NipmBQ/ and https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx-PKPoA8NR/

He is the one suggesting 1200 grafts

It seems you guys are all saying 2000 is the one required in my case

2 hours ago, londonhairlossvictim said:

Damn not what i was hoping to hear but I guess it is what it is. Both of them have really good records - and gave examples of type of others similar to me. For example one on them I'll say is this and he gave these 2 references that are similar to me he felt - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvwd2NipmBQ/ and https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx-PKPoA8NR/

He is the one suggesting 1200 grafts

It seems you guys are all saying 2000 is the one required in my case

Yep agreed I would be opting for the 2000 grafts Dr/Clinic. Be interesting what they say when they see you in person. 🙏

Hey! I agree with what other knowledgeable posters said. It is often thrown out there that 1cm of hairline can be 1000-1500 grafts. I cannot see the results yet on my own surgery, but on my first day of surgery to recreate the hairline, I had around 1700 grafts for around 1-1.5cm hairline and temples. I would be very surprised if 700 grafts looked satisfactory. It is easy to feel you trust someone you have built a relationship with and they helped you by prescribing finasteride, however you have absolutely done the right thing consulting someone else for a second opinion. My impression of the first link you provided, was this "best case" example, is not very good in my opinion. 

If I was still living in the UK, I would have consulted Dr. Arshad. Many are reporting positive feedback as one of the few stand out there names in the UK.  I would have consulted Dr. Reddy for a second opinion just on the plan, since his prices are definitely at a premium (charging per hair). I can't speak for the work quality personally of either of these Dr's, I haven't looked at their work, just familiar with what people have written about here.

1 minute ago, j1mmy said:

Hey! I agree with what other knowledgeable posters said. It is often thrown out there that 1cm of hairline can be 1000-1500 grafts. I cannot see the results yet on my own surgery, but on my first day of surgery to recreate the hairline, I had around 1700 grafts for around 1-1.5cm hairline and temples. I would be very surprised if 700 grafts looked satisfactory. It is easy to feel you trust someone you have built a relationship with and they helped you by prescribing finasteride, however you have absolutely done the right thing consulting someone else for a second opinion. My impression of the first link you provided, was this "best case" example, is not very good in my opinion. 

If I was still living in the UK, I would have consulted Dr. Arshad. Many are reporting positive feedback as one of the few stand out there names in the UK.  I would have consulted Dr. Reddy for a second opinion just on the plan, since his prices are definitely at a premium (charging per hair). I can't speak for the work quality personally of either of these Dr's, I haven't looked at their work, just familiar with what people have written about here.

Dr Arshad was the clinic quoting 2000 grafts. OP said it was his assistant who recommended that amount. I also think he’s a very good Uk option. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, londonhairlossvictim said:

Hey guys I'm looking to get a small transplant operation to fill in mainly my temples and adjust hairline.

I've seen 2 places in London, one is with a Dr I know for 3-4 years who first prescribed me Finastride. He saw me in person and the pictures attached are from him. He is suggesting to me either consider a densification procedure of your existing hairline which refers to the higher line in the photos attached. This would require 600-700 grafts and would cost £3000. The other option is to have our temples restored down to the bottom line as per the pictures. This would require 1000-1200 grafts and would cost £4000. Both can be done as a minimally shaven procedure.

Then there is another clinic in UK that I did a Virtual Consultation with who quoted me 6000GBP for 2000 Grafts. When I told this to the London based one he laughed and said he doesn't know how and why they quoted 2000 grafts.

Based on my pictures can someone advise me what I should do?
Should I go with 600-700 grafts - which goes to the higher line in the pics attached
Or have temples restored down at 1000-1200 grafts

Also your opinions on the 6K price given for 2K grafts by the other clinic?

I don't want to say who they are yet as I have noticed based on who is the clinic, people make assumptions quickly.

Any thoughts to this?

I put the pics here, I don't know why they are not adding when I do attach files - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rroepxbq0vdhn6y/AAA-t6JIG0h9RGO9lB9XHhria?dl=0

20210420_092333.jpg

20210420_092320.jpg

20210420_092326.jpg

The lower graft quote is also definitely on the "upper price range" category, and this just goes to show you how dangerous it can be to be misled by prices. That is not to say the first guy may not give you an excellent result, or he could be very highly rated for all I know. I know nothing about him, and he is significantly more expensive than someone we know is providing good work, at an affordable price.

3 minutes ago, JohnAC71 said:

Dr Arshad was the clinic quoting 2000 grafts. OP said it was his assistant who recommended that amount. I also think he’s a very good Uk option. 

Yeah, sorry maybe my wording was bad, I understood that :D

*I would have also consulted Dr Arshad*

Edited by j1mmy
  • Haha 1