Moisturising Donor Area?

Hello!

I am on day 6 post op and my scalp is very dry, particularly my donor area. Causing it to be a bit more painful than I’d like. 

Am I okay to use a normal face moisturiser on my donor area now? To help with the dry flakes.

I currently wash once daily with e45 shampoo with a sponge and bucket pour.

The first thing I would check is the shampoo and see if it contains alcohol.  This, possibly, may be the culprit. Starting tomorrow go ahead and start washing using the tips of your fingers and massaging until crusts are off.  Any type of hair conditioner should be fine.  I am curious to learn what exactly were the post op instructions given to you.  e45 shampoo? Never heard of it. Never heard of bucket pour either. Unless you are taking an entire shower with it.  I assume you are using a cup? And then comes the sponge.  Why? So the follicles will catch? What clinic did you go to?

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators

Use conditioner to remove scabs 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Sorry guys I think you misunderstand. I am talking about the back of the head.

e45 is a uk shampoo / brand for dry sensitive skin. I am using baby shampoo with a cup like posted above.

all I am wondering if it’s okay to moisturise the back of my head where the fue holes are?

• Moderators

You can use an aloe vera gel. I would try using it a bit before you take a shower and then shampoo it out in the shower. That may be just enough to stop it from getting dry after the shower, but not need to be in your hair all day.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Of course refer to your clinic to ask them.

But, I have aloe vera twice daily in my post-op for anti-inflammatory/redness/soothing benefits. I have felt dry because of twice daily shampoo, some coconut oil which I already had has been recommended before. The wounds may be superficially healed, but you want to keep it "simple" what you are using as moisturiser, so I wouldn't go for a daily moisturiser at this point, you never know when you will get an ingrown hair or irritated skin. 

You might also be feeling "itching" in relation to nerve supply coming back on board, and that gives an irritated feeling. I have had trouble sleeping the past week. 

Edited by j1mmy

1 hour ago, j1mmy said:

Of course refer to your clinic to ask them.

But, I have aloe vera twice daily in my post-op for anti-inflammatory/redness/soothing benefits. I have felt dry because of twice daily shampoo, some coconut oil which I already had has been recommended before. The wounds may be superficially healed, but you want to keep it "simple" what you are using as moisturiser, so I wouldn't go for a daily moisturiser at this point, you never know when you will get an ingrown hair or irritated skin. 

You might also be feeling "itching" in relation to nerve supply coming back on board, and that gives an irritated feeling. I have had trouble sleeping the past week. 

Thanks Jimmy. Definitely agree with you about the sleeping and itching! It's annoying but not painful or anything like that. 

I'll order some gel but it seems to be getting better each day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, swats09 said:

Thanks Jimmy. Definitely agree with you about the sleeping and itching! It's annoying but not painful or anything like that. 

I'll order some gel but it seems to be getting better each day.

Like someone said, try to get it as pure as possible, alcohol is not good. My post-op has me using it for 14 days, and I plan to continue for hopefully improved redness in the recipient.

Yeah for me there is "burning" in the occipital area, which is heavily innervated with nerves that have been injured. I hope it is better by 14 days, but if that is something you experience, ibuprofen may be worth trying too, rather than paracetamol.

On 4/15/2021 at 5:16 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Use conditioner to remove scabs 

Hi Melvin,

I used some conditioner on my scabs to try and loosen them a bit ( on day 8 ). However i feel like there is a thin layer of conditioner left on? Without using a stream of water or shower i probs cant get it off but i cant really do that for a few more days right? Will the conditioner just dry off?

13 minutes ago, swats09 said:

Hi Melvin,

I used some conditioner on my scabs to try and loosen them a bit ( on day 8 ). However i feel like there is a thin layer of conditioner left on? Without using a stream of water or shower i probs cant get it off but i cant really do that for a few more days right? Will the conditioner just dry off?

I also tried conditioner on day 7, and it was stuck to my head for 20 minutes of washing. That however showed me that water was the best softener, so I used that to remove 80%, and then next day water again for several minutes to get the last. 

I assume it was too early for conditioner :)

My head is less red than when I said, so looks good now. I think what I did was fine ;)

Edited by j1mmy

9 minutes ago, j1mmy said:

I also tried conditioner on day 7, and it was stuck to my head for 20 minutes of washing. That however showed me that water was the best softener, so I used that to remove 80%, and then next day water again for several minutes to get the last. 

Hi Jimmy, you removed 80% of scabs on day 7? I think most of mine are still on. What do you think?   I am scared to rub them too much!   

EDIT: sorry this is actually day 8 for me now!

482209628_Screenshot2021-04-16at11_12_27.thumb.png.531b4eb92b887db1b5e9736f3ccff7a7.png

Edited by swats09

1 minute ago, swats09 said:

Hi Jimmy, you removed 80% of scabs on day 7? I think most of mine are still on. What do you think?   I am scared to rub them too much!     482209628_Screenshot2021-04-16at11_12_27.thumb.png.531b4eb92b887db1b5e9736f3ccff7a7.png

Yes but I was a little too eager as I said. They look like solid scabs, and might not be ready yet, so remember there is no rush really, you just don't want them to be there after two weeks. 

I was just aware of how secure the grafts really were after 7-8 days, it honestly feels like nothing except a knocked scab would dislodge them. I even had my arms tied to my legs when I slept for the first 6 or 7 days so I didn't scratch in the night, but not since then. The literature says 9 days you can't even pull them out, but 10+ days if you want to be sure.

It is nicer wearing a cap for a walk to the shops without the scabs now at day 9, because the cap is not having the same friction it did putting it on/off than when my head was looking like yours :D 

So letting gentle water run over my head for 10 minutes was no problem, and softly rubbing with my fingers was doing a lot more to dissolve the scabs than shampooing seemed to ever be able to do.  

1 minute ago, j1mmy said:

Yes but I was a little too eager as I said. They look like solid scabs, and might not be ready yet, so remember there is no rush really, you just don't want them to be there after two weeks. 

I was just aware of how secure the grafts really were after 7-8 days, it honestly feels like nothing except a knocked scab would dislodge them. I even had my arms tied to my legs when I slept for the first 6 or 7 days so I didn't scratch in the night, but not since then. The literature says 9 days you can't even pull them out, but 10+ days if you want to be sure.

It is nicer wearing a cap for a walk to the shops without the scabs now at day 9, because the cap is not having the same friction it did putting it on/off than when my head was looking like yours :D 

So letting gentle water run over my head for 10 minutes was no problem, and softly rubbing with my fingers was doing a lot more to dissolve the scabs than shampooing seemed to ever be able to do.  

Completely agree with you! I accidentally woke myself up the other night with my hand on my head and freaked out. Ill hold off for a few more days before day 10/11 to try and remove them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swats09 said:

Completely agree with you! I accidentally woke myself up the other night with my hand on my head and freaked out. Ill hold off for a few more days before day 10/11 to try and remove them.

This was day 8 for me!

IMG_1686[1].JPG

:D It is a relief to see the hairs so you can check if the direction and placement is what you hoped for. 

I think my scabs never looked like yours, so can't compare actually. Mine always swelled up with water when I washed, looking like white crusts on my head, and when dry were not as "solid" scabs as yours. Yours might not soften with water in the same way, but I'd see. At this stage as long as the shower temperature is just luke warm, and the pressure is low, I have no problem with showering directly onto my head for 10 minutes!

Edited by j1mmy

• Moderators

At day 8 you can't pull out the grafts at this point, so you should be showering with the shower water flowing normally over your head. Stand under the shower water for several minutes to soften up the scabs. Then shampoo your hair and gently rub over the scabs. Don't pick at them or use your fingernails. They should start coming off. It may take until the 2nd shower for them to really start coming off. The first one may just get them ready to go. Don't worry if you see hairs coming off with the scabs. That is normal. The transplanted hair will probably almost all shed.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.