How Soon To Wear A Cap After HT?

Just a quick question, if you have a hair transplant surgery and you want to conceal the results on your scalp, how soon is it ok to wear a hat? Is it possible to wear a baseball cap larger size that doesn't touch or make contact with the scalp at all?

As soon as you leave the clinic!

That's exactly what most people do - buy an oversized cap and let your doctor / aftercare team help you put it on properly. 

I walked around Manhattan the day after my HT and that wouldn't have been possible without a cap. It also helps with the travel home at the airport etc. 

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

After post-op day 10 it should be fine to wear a tight wearing cap since the grafts can't be dislodged at that point. 

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 4/1/2021 at 10:30 AM, TommyLucchese said:

As soon as you leave the clinic!

That's exactly what most people do - buy an oversized cap and let your doctor / aftercare team help you put it on properly. 

I walked around Manhattan the day after my HT and that wouldn't have been possible without a cap. It also helps with the travel home at the airport etc. 

So it would be ok if I just wore a very large and loose hat just to cover up my head on the trip back?

16 hours ago, JovsGata said:

So it would be ok if I just wore a very large and loose hat just to cover up my head on the trip back?

yes, it's very common for post-op patients to do this. Make sure it doesn't touch your grafts though so check the hat is ok with your doctor before you put it on.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

@JonDoe,

Technically, you can start wearing a loose fitting cap or hat immediately after surgery.

In fact, a number of hair clinics will even provide you with a hat or a bandanna to wear after surgery to protect the new grafts.

That said, just make sure it’s loose fitting and doesn’t press up against the newly transplanted hair.

After approximately 10 days, the newly transplanted grafts will be fully secured and routed securely underneath the surface of the scalp. At that point, you can wear any cap or hat tightly or loosely

i hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

You can wear a loose hat, but it will look kind of stupid because it cannot make contact with the recipient area.

I originally planned on doing this, but then I didn't bother when the Patient Care team showed me how to put it on (I looked like some 90s hip hop wannabe, wearing the hat so lightly on top of my head).

They do give you a surgical cap that you can wear, but people will obviously wonder why you are wearing a surgical cap then, ha ha.

I ended up just wearing nothing (just the surgical cap when I needed to step outside, but that was only really for the travel back home).  I didn't have to fly home (I drove) so I ended up just chilling at home for two weeks, and wore nothing on my head until it was safe to do so.  After that, it's been just my regular proper fitting baseball caps.

Edited by Bucky O Hair
  • Haha 1