Thinning hair, how bad is it?

Hello everyone! This is my first post here after lurking for a good month, so basically I started noticing recession and thinning about 3years ago after I suddenly started shedding I sadly ignored it for a while and now I'm starting to fight it. I got on the finasteride a week ago and hoping to stabilize it. I'm also posting some pictures since I want some opinions from the people here that have been dealing with and have more experience on miniaturization and stuff. The dermatologist looked pretty amateur and just quickly confirmed that i have thinning hair with no real detail and when i look at these pictures i feel like i have a decent amount of hair still other than at the temples but like 40% of it is miniaturized or something, what do you guys think?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

It's good you've hopped on finasteride. Are you taking oral finasteride? Also, are you taking topical minoxidil?

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Yeah that's what i thought and yes im using oral finasteride, topical minoxidil and im thinking of buying a dermaroller and then just wait a year and see where im at. Im 27 years old, started noticing a big shed and then thinning at around 24. Thanks for the input!

Edited by MustStabilize

That's around the same age I started having my hair loss. I wish I had hopped on finasteride and minoxidil sooner. 

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Yeah, at first i was in denial since people around me didn't really notice and most still do not but once i accepted that its getting worse and worse it really hurt my mental health for awhile, probably the reason i didn't start taking action faster aswell. How is your situation nowadays though?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MustStabilize said:

Yeah, at first i was in denial since people around me didn't really notice and most still do not but once i accepted that its getting worse and worse it really hurt my mental health for awhile, probably the reason i didn't start taking action faster aswell. How is your situation nowadays though?

I've gotten 2 hair transplants and will be getting at least 1 more. I'm on topical finasteride/minoxidil, which has stabilized my hair loss and thickened my existing hairs. I probably have about 5k grafts left to use so will be using that for the crown, about 1k for the front 1/3 for further density, and the remaining for the back 2/3. 

I can relate to the toll it takes on your mental health since I went through it. You're lucky you found this forum. I wish I had known about it sooner and had gone to a recommended surgeon on here. Please feel free to reach out via private message if you'd like and all the best buddy.

• Like 1

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, MustStabilize said:

Yeah that's what i thought and yes im using oral finasteride, topical minoxidil and im thinking of buying a dermaroller and then just wait a year and see where im at. Im 27 years old, started noticing a big shed and then thinning at around 24. Thanks for the input!

Consider switching from topical minoxidil to oral.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

39 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

I've gotten 2 hair transplants and will be getting at least 1 more. I'm on topical finasteride/minoxidil, which has stabilized my hair loss and thickened my existing hairs. I probably have about 5k grafts left to use so will be using that for the crown, about 1k for the front 1/3 for further density, and the remaining for the back 2/3. 

I can relate to the toll it takes on your mental health since I went through it. You're lucky you found this forum. I wish I had known about it sooner and had gone to a recommended surgeon on here. Please feel free to reach out via private message if you'd like and all the best buddy.

That's good, lifts my spirits up to hear it!

30 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Consider switching from topical minoxidil to oral.

I will check but i doubt they have the oral version in my country. How are the side effects when it comes to blood pressure?

28 minutes ago, MustStabilize said:

That's good, lifts my spirits up to hear it!

I will check but i doubt they have the oral version in my country. How are the side effects when it comes to blood pressure?

"Conclusion: Oral minoxidil was found to be an effective and well-tolerated treatment alternative for healthy patients having difficulty with topical formulations."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32622136/

"Conclusion: Oral minoxidil 5 mg once daily effectively increased hair growth in our male patients with AGA and had a good safety profile in healthy subjects. However, oral minoxidil should be used carefully with men who have severe hypertension and increased risk for cardiovascular events."

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13555-020-00448-x