Thinning + Thinning Stubble + Less Bodyhair

ClarkKent77

I’m almost 40. For the last six years or so, my hair has been thinning. I still have a fair amount of hair, but I’m reliant on concealers and strategic styling.

Over the last year or so, I’ve noticed that my stubble density is getting worse. I don’t have big hairless circles, but my stubble is much more spaced out than it used to be. It looks messy and uneven.

Also, I used to have a hairy chest and hairy legs. Now, not so much.

All of these things were gradual.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? If I’m thinning all over (as opposed to just on top) could that indicate auto-immune or an allergy or something else?

I’ve had my thyroid tested. I’m going to get my testosterone checked, too. I’ve asked the doctor for an auto-immune test. 

I haven’t started finasteride (trying for a baby) but I’m using low-dose oral minoxidil.
Does anyone know how to reverse hairloss on the face? Minoxidil? Steroid injections?

Please help.

• Administrators

Very strange that you’re experiencing body hair loss while on oral minoxidil. It should be the opposite, can you share comparison pictures?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

One of the rare side effects of minoxidil is that it can actually cause hair loss rather than hair gain. I'm not a Doctor, but If your beard and body hair loss started after you began taking oral minoxidil then it seems like it's a real possibility that you are experiencing that hair loss side effect. You may want to try stopping minoxidil for 6 months and see if you start getting some of the growth back.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

It is not as strange as you say @Melvin-Moderator reading a little elsewhere, I have often heard that just starting the treatment with Minoxidil, many have noticed hair loss, it is called "induced fall", but the rebirth of  fallen hair, it should start again after some time that you continue with the care.  In addition, the fall would resume, this time irreversible, in the event that the intake of Minoxidil is totally abandoned.  This is what I have read.

@ClarkKent77Yes, the first massive fall should occur when starting the minoxidil treatment, but then the fallen hair should start to grow back.  On the other hand, the fall would be permanent when the Minoxidil treatment is stopped.  This is what I have often read regarding minoxidil in lotion or foam, but I am not sure if it is the same with oral minoxidil.