MSM and break outs?

It was an acne-like break out. I was taking MSM for 2 days and I discontinued it because my forehead began to look hideous. My forehead cleared up in about 3 days...I was thinking about taking MSM once again but I don't want to break out either.

• 1 month later...

I started taking 1000 mg of MSM a day about a month ago, and I have had an increase in the number of zits in my temples/receiding hairline. I haven't determined if the MSM has helped or hurt me. The zits are very easy to scratch off and always have a peach-fuzz hair attached to them. I probably have at least 10 of them as I type this.

Is this the same type of thing you experienced Fingers Crossed?

• 2 weeks later...

I've continued to take 1000 mg a day. I went to my dermatologist and she said the bumps were ingrown hairs and gave me some samples of an acne cream called Duac. Only 3 days later, and the bumps are going away.

I don't have any results showing that MSM has helped me, and I don't have any results to say that the bumps were hair growing in, or ready to die and fall out. Maybe I'll know in a few weeks.

• 3 months later...

strange phenomenon... I took MSM (1000mg) in the past and I have not experienced zits, not more than normal anyway, I believe... but I don't know if it helped my hair or not. I think that my finger nails were growing a bit faster but maybe it was just my imagination although it was supposed to happen since MSM builds both hair and fingernails.

Ive been taking MSM (3 tablets a day) for 3 weeks or so now and I have gained spots on my chin, cheeks and forehead. I never get spots and this is the only thing I've added to my routine lately so I am guessing that's the cause! I will stop taking it, shame as it would have been interesting to see if it does speed up hair growth or not! :mad:

• 3 weeks later...
I've continued to take 1000 mg a day. I went to my dermatologist and she said the bumps were ingrown hairs and gave me some samples of an acne cream called Duac. Only 3 days later, and the bumps are going away.

I don't have any results showing that MSM has helped me, and I don't have any results to say that the bumps were hair growing in, or ready to die and fall out. Maybe I'll know in a few weeks.

Still taking it once a day. Not helping my hair.

Ingrown hairs continue to come up in my receiding hair line area, and my hair has been receiding a lot this year. Not too happy about it.

On the bright side, the MSM has done wonders for my knees and ankles, as they don't pop or hurt nearly as much as they did in the past.

Hey guys,

Here is a Hair Loss Q & A blog post that may help explain MSM as a hair growth treatment and how it can affect acne breakouts - Can MSM For Hair Loss Cause Acne Breakouts?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Follow this link. MSM detoxifies the skin, which is what is causing the breakouts.

Can MSM Cause Acne? — High on health

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D