Consultation with Dr. Keene

Bonzo

My initial consultation with Dr. Keene,

My first observation was that Dr. Keene didn't have a high-pitched style office in Tucson Az., no waterfalls, nor cappuccino machines. The staff that I saw and met were all professional, friendly, and courteous. I first discussed the basics in HT procedures,including Propercia and FDA approved medication with Gail. She walked me through my questions that I had written down, and answered all of them that she could. My underlying thought prior to the consultation was that I wouldn't have the donor hair needed to accomplish a natural hairline and to fill in around my old plugs. (Dr. Keene had originally e-mailed within two days of me sending pictures of what she thought would work for me in my particular situation.)

Then Dr. Keene came in and showed and described in detail how the first procedure with Puig was done. She examined my donor region, then drew a line about 1cc in front my existing hairline, then tied it in to the temporale sides of my head. In the first 1cc of my new hairline, she would implant single hairs, about 30 per cc, then around and in back of my original transplants, 2-4's would be added, about 20 additional per cc( in addition to my original ones). I stated to her that I knew that I would only have on shot at another restorative surgery, and she agreed. My wife and I thought that 2000 graphs would be needed to do the job, unfortunately, I might not have the donor hair to accomplish this. Dr. Keene said that she could harvest 1500-1800 graphs, but couldn't guarantee 2000. It was then agreed upon to start at the front and work backwards, to whatever point that will be,(pending on the amount of donor graphs that can be removed).

After the consultation, My impressions of the doctor are as follows: Professional, honest, personable, courteous and dedicated. She diagnosed my situation, knew what she had to work with and was honest with her evaluation. Since her first opening for a procedure is two months away, it seems apparent that other patients think so to. I know that my situation is a little different then most of the HT cconsumers. I simply have 10-12 year-old transplant baggage that may not be amendable to " the perfect head of hair." In the final analysis, I'm very comfortable with my decision to ask Dr Keene to do my last procedure that my donor site will afford- Bonzo

My initial consultation with Dr. Keene,

My first observation was that Dr. Keene didn't have a high-pitched style office in Tucson Az., no waterfalls, nor cappuccino machines. The staff that I saw and met were all professional, friendly, and courteous. I first discussed the basics in HT procedures,including Propercia and FDA approved medication with Gail. She walked me through my questions that I had written down, and answered all of them that she could. My underlying thought prior to the consultation was that I wouldn't have the donor hair needed to accomplish a natural hairline and to fill in around my old plugs. (Dr. Keene had originally e-mailed within two days of me sending pictures of what she thought would work for me in my particular situation.)

Then Dr. Keene came in and showed and described in detail how the first procedure with Puig was done. She examined my donor region, then drew a line about 1cc in front my existing hairline, then tied it in to the temporale sides of my head. In the first 1cc of my new hairline, she would implant single hairs, about 30 per cc, then around and in back of my original transplants, 2-4's would be added, about 20 additional per cc( in addition to my original ones). I stated to her that I knew that I would only have on shot at another restorative surgery, and she agreed. My wife and I thought that 2000 graphs would be needed to do the job, unfortunately, I might not have the donor hair to accomplish this. Dr. Keene said that she could harvest 1500-1800 graphs, but couldn't guarantee 2000. It was then agreed upon to start at the front and work backwards, to whatever point that will be,(pending on the amount of donor graphs that can be removed).

After the consultation, My impressions of the doctor are as follows: Professional, honest, personable, courteous and dedicated. She diagnosed my situation, knew what she had to work with and was honest with her evaluation. Since her first opening for a procedure is two months away, it seems apparent that other patients think so to. I know that my situation is a little different then most of the HT cconsumers. I simply have 10-12 year-old transplant baggage that may not be amendable to " the perfect head of hair." In the final analysis, I'm very comfortable with my decision to ask Dr Keene to do my last procedure that my donor site will afford- Bonzo

Hi Bonzo,

Hope you have been finding this forum helpful and it sure sounds like you had a good constructive consultation. CONGRATS!, you had the chance to meet the doctor! Dr. Keene I think once worked for MHR for a very short time and left. I will stand to be corrected on that if necessary. I have seen and heard good things in her work. She is truly a professional and have heard nothing but good things about her. I have referred other patients to her in the Southwest.

I wanted to ask you if your plugs are growing well and not pitted, cratered, cobblestone effect, etc. Do you have a wide or narrow hair-to-scalp color contrast? Although plugs do not have the aesthetic appeal, I have seen a fair amount of open-donor work over the years and some that are growing very well, without the afore-mentioned ill-effects to the scalp tissue.

Skilled surgeons in FUE can sometimes "thin" the plugs out by extracting the FU's within the plugs and then re-implant those extractions in the recipient area. In a nutshell, it can potentially thin the density of the plug and increase the aesthetic result by distributing the extracted grafts. Then of course you have the additional 1500-2000 grafts left in the donor area to add to it. There are of course situations where it may be best to leave the plugs the way they are and fill in around them so possibly this is your situation. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I disagree with Dr. Keene's assessment, but if you do have a wider color contrast, and the plugs seem to stand out like a sore thumb, you may want to talk to a couple of FUE surgeons who "specialize" in repair work for the added opinions. Just a thought.

And then there are situations where the plugs are surgically removed which is typically the plastic surgeons' approach, they are then dissected into seperate FUs and re-implanted. Most patients do not like this approach and also is done when the plugs are in bad shape. Once the plug is removed, the opening is closed with a single suture.

My encouragement to you is to become familiar with "all' of your options if you have not done so already and let us know how things go. Best wishes to you!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Gillenator,

I'm truly lucky for my results after dealing with the puig clinic. I know that Arfy has suffered for too long with the dr's. supposed talent. My surgeon was not dr. puig, which I'm truly fortunate for. He did a nice job on the donor scar, and my plugs are even with my skin, no indented, or raised ones. The colorations of my skin around the plugs are even toned with the rest of my scalp. In the technique that he used, the plugs are elongated, and not the traditional round ones. Each plug has between 7-10 hairs and I've never lost any of them. I thought of the idea of having some of the individual hairs extracted from the plugs, but since Dr. Keene is going to start 1cc in front of them with single hairs, then use 2-4 Fu's around the original plugs, I feel confident that the old ones will blend into the new hairline. I've been debating for along time now on whether to post photos of my original transplants that I've looked at in the mirror for the last 10+ years. So here it goes, sorry that they're a little fuzzy- Bonzo.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Dr. Keene Patient and very satisfied, 2500 grafts on 12-03 all grown in now and all the women in my family have given me unsolicited excellent remarks. You will not be sorry you went with dr keene, tell her to plant all she can get and you will be a satisfied customer.

Bonzo

Sound's like an excellent consultation with a good outlook. Can the Dr. remove the grafts and further disect them into smaller FU's to reuse. I know that has been done with other patients and the resulting relocation with the new grafts has been wonderful!!

Good Luck

TMAN

John Se,

I'm extremely pleased to hear about that your procedure went so well. In two months, all of the graphs are already in growing, that's wonderful! You must be a very fast healer. So the phase that pays is to tell Dr. Keene, " plant all that you can get". I'll certainly remember this slogan in March. Are you planning to post any photo's? I can understand both sides of this issue and decision whether to post or not. I'm planning on posting photos, after all I have nothing to lose since I've lived with plugs for so long now; I won't know how to react with a natural looking hairline again, the first thing that's going in the trash is my collection of hats. And trust me on this one, I'm going to show this new master piece of art off as often as possible to everyone who looks at me!

Telephone Man,

Thank you, the consultation went very well, I've read about the procedure to remove the original graphs, then break them down and re- transplant them, ( I think it was a posting from Arfy?). But in my case, the plugs are less noticeable and more natural( if you will), then the older round ones were. Dr. Keene said that she will focus on a new hairline in front of the original plugs, then camouflage the old ones with 2-4. I'm entrusting my last procedure that my donor area will allow on a one shot operation, Believe me, your last statement "good luck" means alot to me-Bonzo

no pics, suffice to say it works,, went from NW 4A (at 42) meaning alot of growing forehead and a nice slick bald spot on my crown. now my crown is just a little thin which has been normal for me the last 15 years and I have a nice hairline probably added and inch to my Existing hareline, and nicely flared into my temples. Just go for it, the worst part is that ugly red/purple scalp stage but try not to think about it and try not to obsess about it and at about 5 months you'll be thinking how cool this is!!! . It was really women who asked me about my hair work, but one guy about a year after it was done said "how did you get your hair to grow so well"!!! just told him the whole deal and he said "doesnt look like a hair transplant", obviously only knows guys with old style plugs. Its nice to take about a week off, thats enough time to lose the scabs, most of the hair will fall out but it does traumatize the surgical area so it gets red. the donor scar is no issue, Keene is a talented and very well credentialed surgeon. I think that was one of the things that impressed me the most, plus I have to say I actually like having a woman do the design, since its the women that we know usually care (and Talk) about how we look. follow her post op instructions to the letter and youll be a happy man!

• 2 months later...

I also just had a consultation with Dr. Keene. Now my only problem is deciding where to put my hairline. As a 49 year old man, I am lucky in that I have plenty of donar hair. So that is not an issue. I could place my new hairline about 1cm below my existing very thin hairline or about 2cm below. It's my choice. My first impression was that at 2cm it would look "too" youthfull for a 49 year old. But after looking in the mirror quite a bit, it would still leave quite a bit of forehead and would still be about 1.5 cm above my original hairline (which you can see by furrowing your brow). If I look very closely in the right light, I can see a few very thin hairs at the 2cm point. That's where my hairline was probably 5-10 years ago. Hmmm... this is really starting to drive me nuts.

Obviously Dr. Keene does excellent work and on top of that she is great at natural looking hairlines. Since neither money nor donar hair are an issue, I'm leaning towards going for the max and just let her work her magic.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Smoothy,

Yes she did do a great job, She did my procedure 6 weeks ago, and I have no reservations in recommending her to anyone who ask the most important question: Who's the best.

Gorpy,

Let Dr. Keene do her majic, You we never be disappointed in her tallent- Bonzo

Hey Guys,

Very happy to hear of the nice results with Dr. Keene!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 years later...

I just wanted to share my experiences with Dr. Keene in Tucson. She was superb. Her service was very personable and she listened attentively to my concerns. Her technical ability was the best I have encountered. My situation was unique. I had damage from a previous unsuccessful hair flap surgery. I believe that surgeon was not very masterful and was unable to accomplish much. I was left with an ugly and unmanageable uncombable hair line. However, Dr. Keene was able to blend my remaining hair, (I had few donor sites left) to create an aesthetic effect that was quite attractive and natural. I was deeply impressed by her staff, her office and the procedure as a whole. Recovery time was very brief and the regrowth of transplanted hair was assured and impressive. I have had many transplants during the early days of transplant surgery, and Dr. Keene was a jem to work with. She was a consumate professional, kind, and enormously skillful. Further, there were no extravagant promises or silly pitches. There was no Bosley ads or sales people or anything that was ugly or commercial. It was clear that this was a clinic where the patient's welfare was paramount. Procedures were carried out to benefit the patient, and I feel very confident that Dr. Keene represents the highest ethical and technical standards of her discipline. I heartily endorse her as a professional and as a person. I was quite lucky to find such a professional, and I encourage anyone interested in transplant surgery to seek her advice. She is honest, kind and reliable. I noted a disclaimer note in another posting. It read: I am not a doctor and all opinions I share are my own. I am not compensated by any doctor to be here and am here out of my own free will to offer help, knowledge, and wisdom to anyone who requests it.

I support that statement and can affirm that I too, am acting independently here. With all the horrific misinformation in this discipline it was a pleasure and the greatest good fortune to find a great practitioner like Dr. Keene. Dr. Keene has worked diligently to enhance my appearance. I hope to be treated by her again if I have sufficient donor sites. I trust her aesthetic judgement completely. I will be happy to post pictures to illustrate her work on my behalf. Thanks for listening and please, if you consider transplant surgery, consider the good work of Dr. Keene. I think simply investigating for yourself will be sufficient proof for most potential clients. The profession benefits from marvelous practitioners like her.

cheers

• Thanks 1

Stuart,

Looks like you posted the same exact thing in two threads bro. It appears you found a thread that is over 2 years old to post on...unfortunately, this also is another indication of what I mentioned in my reply at the link below. That and the fact that you posted the same exact thing twice.

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...481089413#9481089413

Bill

How about posting some pics so we can see the work, graft count, placement, etc???

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.