Does being on Finasteride help for shock loss?

So I am 28 years old and have been taking finasteride 1mg for about 10 months daily. I've also been applying minoxidil for about 4 months as well. Within the next 3-4 month I hope to have a hair transplant. My question is after the transplant, does being on finasteride improve the chances of the native hair not falling off during shock loss?

Photo 2.jpeg

Edited by Guzzy

It is supposed to help with permanent shock loss by strengthening the hair so that if you do have shock loss the hairs return after a few months. This is provided you go to an experienced surgeon who does not transect your existing hair. Temporary shock loss can still happen to some degree so just be prepared for that.

Have you consulted with any surgeons?

Edited by deitel130

Yes, finasteride helps to alleviate shock loss. There aren't studies proving this but I've seen this happen and lots of hair transplant surgeons I've spoken to about this have confirmed as well. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

3 minutes ago, deitel130 said:

It is supposed to help with permanent shock loss by strengthening the hair so that if you do have shock loss the hairs return after a few months. This is provided you go to an experienced surgeon who does not transect your existing hair. Temporary shock loss can still happen to some degree so just be prepared for that.

Have you consulted with any surgeons?

I have sent my pictures to surgeons and they given me rough estimate on how many grafts I would need (3000-3500). I've also made it know to them that realistically speaking I am interested in my frontal/hairline region more than anything else. I guess when I speak to them in terms of the consultation these are the questions I would love to ask before hand. I've been keeping up with many of the forum discussions on here and I have to say, you guys are extremely helpful to say the least.

Try to focus on the front and perhaps some into mid for now. 3500 does sound reasonable for the frontal third. Are you planning on FUT or FUE? FUT is probably the better option with the amount of grafts you will need in the long term.

Yeah the mid and frontal are my #1 priority, I'm going into this with a realistic approach and trying to dive into research before I pull the trigger. I know for a fact that FUT would be so much better for the first procedure, I have a relatively thinner donor area so I think attempting FUT first would be ideal, and in a few years, God willing, why not go for FUE

If the surgeon asks to shave your hair for surgery as it helps with permanent shock loss allowing clear vision during incisions. It's good you are doing your research and found this site. I was also lucky to come across this site 10-11 years ago and helped me ask the right questions and select a recommended surgeon.

2 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

Finasteride helps with everything. It strengthens your donor, strengthens your existing hairs, and helps keep the transplanted hairs protected after the transplant.

Amen, preach it!

• Like 1

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group