Help me narrow down Dr.s for FUE chicago

Hi.

I've had one previous FUE surgery, that was probably around 800-900 grafts on the front of my scalp.  This was about 8 years ago. Since then my hair has thinned more on my crown and mid scalp.

my donor areas are nice and thick, so there's plenty to work with. I'd like to take a big whack at it and get the whole situation sorted with 5k grafts or so.

Can anyone help me narrow down the Dr.'s I should be looking at, in terms of quality and value? I'm in the Chicago area. Locally would be nice, but i'm not opposed to traveling for the best deal.

thanks

4 minutes ago, Silverman82 said:

Hi.

I've had one previous FUE surgery, that was probably around 800-900 grafts on the front of my scalp.  This was about 8 years ago. Since then my hair has thinned more on my crown and mid scalp.

my donor areas are nice and thick, so there's plenty to work with. I'd like to take a big whack at it and get the whole situation sorted with 5k grafts or so.

Can anyone help me narrow down the Dr.'s I should be looking at, in terms of quality and value? I'm in the Chicago area. Locally would be nice, but i'm not opposed to traveling for the best deal.

thanks

Have you checked out the “find a prescreened physician” link ? Top right of page.

Some very good Clinics/Drs 

Which ones are on your short list? Can’t go wrong with any that’s recommended really. Some stand out more than others. Hasson and Wong are pretty much always in my top 3. 
There is Dr Panine you could consider? Lots of real patient results on the forum to check out. 

Edited by JohnAC71

Do you really trust your own head, with a comment from a random guy on the internet (no offense @JohnAC71)? And do you really would buy a car only "from Chicago"? No? Why do it for your own head?

It is your (!) head and you should do some research and look at some patient posted results. The only (little) short cut is to look into some of the 100s of "Best HT surgeon" threads in here. There is a recent one which lest several top clinics (one of them actual in Chicago). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

Do you really trust your own head, with a comment from a random guy on the internet (no offense @JohnAC71)? And do you really would buy a car only "from Chicago"? No? Why do it for your own head?

It is your (!) head and you should do some research and look at some patient posted results. The only (little) short cut is to look into some of the 100s of "Best HT surgeon" threads in here. There is a recent one which lest several top clinics (one of them actual in Chicago). 

@GasthoererNo offence taken. The guy has been pointed to the find a physician list as well as a couple of names. Pretty sure he will now start to do his own research. 
I always suggest travel to find the right Dr/Clinic. Unless travel is impossible. 

Edited by JohnAC71

7 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

I think you're overreacting a little bit? John tried to guide OP to the very best surgeons, one of them just happens to be in Chicago. It's an option and a first step, I'm sure others will chime in too very shortly and OP will do his research diligently and consult with more clinics and chose the best one suiting his needs and whatnot. 

Edited by UnbaldEagle
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

Of course not. I'm looking for options and to be pointed in the right direction for further research. My post stated a preference for proximity, but not at the exclusion of the best options. Not sure why you would interpret it differently. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UnbaldEagle said:

Could you share pics, Silverman? 😳

I'm curious because you had a very small procedure of 800-900 grafts and now would opt for a large one of 5K to get the whole situation sorted as you said. 

It is a lot of grafts to consider. I agree some pics would be beneficial. And if your on any meds etc? How old you are too? 

6 minutes ago, UnbaldEagle said:

I think you're overreacting a little bit? John tried to guide OP ....

Maybe I do, maybe not. And that has nothing to do with @JohnAC71 (as he recognized himself). I say this all the time when someone comes with such a request. Even if Melvin would recommend a clinic, I would say so. 

The TO might have done a mistake before (at least this is what I get from the initial post) and now contacts the first clinic mentioned by someone he does not know. What if he recommends one of the hairmills and they react nicely (what the usually do as this clinics often have a strong marketing team)? I have seen this here and one other forums/places 1000 times. If I am wrong everything is OK. But this is a dirty business and inexperienced patients are harmed every day. 

By the way: Panine is not high on my "top" list and I haven't seen him high on anyones list. 

2 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

Maybe I do, maybe not. And that has nothing to do with @JohnAC71 (as he recognized himself). I say this all the time when someone comes with such a request. Even if Melvin would recommend a clinic, I would say so. 

The TO might have done a mistake before (at least this is what I get from the initial post) and now contacts the first clinic mentioned by someone he does not know. What if he recommends one of the hairmills and they react nicely (what the usually do as this clinics often have a strong marketing team)? I have seen this here and one other forums/places 1000 times. If I am wrong everything is OK. But this is a dirty business and inexperienced patients are harmed every day. 

By the way: Panine is not high on my "top" list and I haven't seen him high on anyones list. 

Don't burden me with your personal assumptions. I haven't made a mistake, nor was I planning on handing over cash to the first person I spoke to. Find someone else to wag your finger at.

• Like 3

Thankfully though experienced members will always call out any recommendations of hairmills (myself included) 

This is why the recommended physician list is a good starting point for anyone. Add to that suggestions from members too, as not all the best Clinics/Drs are listed. 

1 hour ago, Silverman82 said:

Hi.

thanks

In Chicago, I can personally give my highest recommendation to @Dr. Vladimir Panine. He's highly recommended over here and has a ton of results posted. You can PM him as well and he'll get back to you quickly. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. 

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

17 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

The TO might have done a mistake before (at least this is what I get from the initial post) and now contacts the first clinic mentioned by someone he does not know.

I didn't get that impression at all, quite the contrary. He had a very small procedure 8 (!) years before, so surely

a.) he would he tried to fix that "mistake" by now

b.) as he mentioned, what concerns him is that the areas behind it have thinned out, so they have nothing to do with his previous HT

12 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

What if he recommends one of the hairmills and they react nicely (what the usually do as this clinics often have a strong marketing team)? I have seen this here and one other forums/places 1000 times.

Except John didn't recommend a hairmill? Again, he tried to guide him to the pre-screened, recommended ones who put out world class results. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Silverman82 said:

Don't burden me with your personal assumptions. I haven't made a mistake, nor was I planning on handing over cash ...

Well, than everything is OK and no need for further discussions.

But how can I learn this from you initial post? The majority of inexperienced patients behaves unfortunately just like I described (and your initial post sounded terribly familiar). Just check the 1000s of repair cases in the www. Therefore, I think it is better to speak open and direct.

Better a discussion before than sorry afterwards.  

Good luck with your research and your procedure. 

1 minute ago, Gasthoerer said:

Maybe you are the one overreacting to my post 😉

12 minutes ago, Gasthoerer said:

Well, than everything is OK and no need for further discussions.

But how can I learn this from you initial post? The majority of inexperienced patients behaves unfortunately just like I described (and your initial post sounded terribly familiar). Just check the 1000s of repair cases in the www. Therefore, I think it is better to speak open and direct.

Better a discussion before than sorry afterwards.  

Good luck with your research and your procedure. 

Then allow me to be direct. I'm more interested in constructive advice than I am in the sanctimony of those whose top priority is impressing others with the breadth of their wisdom and experience. You strike me as the latter. Kindly jog on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Silverman82 said:

... of those whose top priority is impressing others with the breadth of their wisdom and experience. You strike me as the latter. Kindly jog on.

Well and nicely said. Do not be afraid, I will!

Last comment in this thread: Maybe you should look for FUT too, if you aim for 5000 grafts in one setting! Not many clinics (and non of the discussed) can/will do this with FUE (and more often than not, those who do it, shouldn't do it). 

Good luck and this is honest without any sarcasm. Fighting hairloss is an long and ugly road and we are all on it. 

• Like 2