Spraying Post-Op

1 hour ago, Richie888 said:

After 10 days unless you apply the shampoo with a pick axe there's not much you can do to affect them 😂 they are anchored and growing. The main thing you can do is maintain a good diet and drink plenty of fluids, as the saying goes 'a farmer wouldn't plant seeds in bad soil' and the same applies for follicles. The only other thing that affects hair besides DHT is nutrition. Eat well, take supplements and enjoy watching them develop! 

Haha amazing! Roll on day 10 🙌 Its getting to day 10 that's the hard part. I'll eat healthy and keep drinking water for the next few months if I can. I'll try and steer clear of beer and smokes too. I'm also now paranoid about using creatine and muscle building supplements when I'm able to get back to the gym 😭

33 minutes ago, Captain Haddock said:

I know, tbh I've been contemplating about the shampoo after 7 days part. It's only day 3 and my heads starting to stink. 

You mean to say it stinks of beautiful new follicles ⚘ I shampood tonight. Its 2 days since I've had surgery. I mixed a dollop of shampoo into a jug of hot water then gently poured cups of it over my head. I'd have waited until day 4 or 5 but the instructions I got said to do it now. I'd love to know what difference it makes.

Don't overthink it, keep things simple and follow the clinics advice.

I didn't spray at all.

When using shampoo, I was advised after some follow ups to be a little more aggressive with the scabs (about 4 or 5 days after surgery).

You will know yourself when the hair is stable trust me, it's a different feeling.

When the hair starts to fall out that is when the real mental challenge starts! 

I dont think you will have damaged the follicles bumping it. Scratches would be more damaging so I'm sure you will be fine!

Edited by IanH
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, IanH said:

Don't overthink it, keep things simple and follow the clinics advice.

I didn't spray at all.

When using shampoo, I was advised after some follow ups to be a little more aggressive with the scabs (about 4 or 5 days after surgery).

You will know yourself when the hair is stable trust me, it's a different feeling.

When the hair starts to fall out that is when the real mental challenge starts! 

I dont think you will have damaged the follicles bumping it. Scratches would be more damaging so I'm sure you will be fine!

I'm trying to keep things simple. I was only advised to spray 5 times a day for 5 days, starting the day after surgery, but I've really been spraying more than 10 times a day 😯 Hopefully this doesn't jinx my result. I still haven't touched the grafts and I'm scared of touching them. When I washed the hair last night I just let the shampoo-water spill over my head without rubbing the grafts. I gently massaged the donor area with shampoo and water though. My instructions say I can stop spraying on day 5. HRBR reccomend spraying until after day 10. I'm 3 days out of surgery now and I'm still not looking super scabby on top, just raw more than anything.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the ugly duckling phase. My fear is that I'll get shock loss and lose native hair too.

Dude I'd be so relieved if I could know I haven't damaged any follicles. The thought of that scares the life out of me. Luckily I haven't come close to scratching them.

The spraying thing is very mysterious as every surgeon has different spraying instructions. It makes me paranoid that spraying too much will damage results and spraying too little will also damage results. Its melting my head thinking about it 😂

My opinion on the spraying would be less is more. Only because I would want the healing process to kick in.

I would maybe send some images to the clinic to get their advice. 

It will all be worth it in the end!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IanH said:

My opinion on the spraying would be less is more. Only because I would want the healing process to kick in.

I would maybe send some images to the clinic to get their advice. 

It will all be worth it in the end!

Does spraying slow down the healing process?

Maybe I will ask the clinic.

There is no need to panic for sure. Post op instructions vary slightly from one place to the other. The main thing is to keep the area clean and to try and have as few scabs around the follicles as possible. This can be achieved by spraying and/or regular washing. I personally like spraying every few hours for few days- not because it is necessary as a saline solution itself, but because I cant trust how well the wash is after surgery (understandably people can be cautious and concerned). So I prefer spraying for the first few days as it is a less worrying thing for patients. I also recommend washing to commence 24 hours after surgery with a gentle shampoo and no scrubbing for 10 days. The Saline spray does help with infection control in my  opinion and also adds another tool for keeping the scabs soft. I like the spraying not to exceed 5 days because the salt in the saline tends to increase the itching after that time. 
The bottom line is: follow your clinic’s instructions. They surely have had positive results with it and are happy for you to stick to them based on past experiences. If you really think about it, they all serve a similar purpose of keeping things clean and avoiding excessive force/ scrubbing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

14 minutes ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

There is no need to panic for sure. Post op instructions vary slightly from one place to the other. The main thing is to keep the area clean and to try and have as few scabs around the follicles as possible. This can be achieved by spraying and/or regular washing. I personally like spraying every few hours for few days- not because it is necessary as a saline solution itself, but because I cant trust how well the wash is after surgery (understandably people can be cautious and concerned). So I prefer spraying for the first few days as it is a less worrying thing for patients. I also recommend washing to commence 24 hours after surgery with a gentle shampoo and no scrubbing for 10 days. The Saline spray does help with infection control in my  opinion and also adds another tool for keeping the scabs soft. I like the spraying not to exceed 5 days because the salt in the saline tends to increase the itching after that time. 
The bottom line is: follow your clinic’s instructions. They surely have had positive results with it and are happy for you to stick to them based on past experiences. If you really think about it, they all serve a similar purpose of keeping things clean and avoiding excessive force/ scrubbing. 

Thanks for the professional input Doctor. Note duly taken. This alleviates my paranoia.