Sunlight, snow and rain

It says on the post-op instructions not to be out in the sun after the op, and it also says stay safe from rain and snow. I assume harsh wind is bad too. 

Should you stay indoors until it is dark out or when they say avoid sunlight does that mean avoid very very hot sunlight, or does it mean stay out of the light? This time in winter in the morning and at about noon the sunlight can shine in very bright especially with no leaves on trees and what not. It is cold but the sun shines for a few hours during the day.

Also rain and snow, I was walking from the taxi to the hotel after transplant in Poland last night and lots of flakes of snow fell on my head. I assume this will not destroy anything?

I'd be worrying more about being exposed to hot sunlight and heat (not in issue in Ireland this time of year - or anytime for that matter 😁) from what I read it's excessive sweating that could hurt the grafts most, hence the reason why exercising is not recommended in the first weeks.

Avoid strong wind, but as for rain and snow, I don't think so. Saved you an extra spraying!

• Like 1

Your scalp is extra sensitive to being sunburned post HT for the next few months. Wear a hat if you go outside for long periods.

Snow landning on an unprotected head a few hours after surgery could actually have a tangible affect

I'm not sure if heavy wind is an issue. The wind would have to be so strong that.it shakes up follicles on the inside of your scalp

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

Your scalp is extra sensitive to being sunburned post HT for the next few months. Wear a hat if you go outside for long periods.

Snow landning on an unprotected head a few hours after surgery could actually have a tangible affect

I'm not sure if heavy wind is an issue. The wind would have to be so strong that.it shakes up follicles on the inside of your scalp

Oh my God. I was probably in light snow for maybe 1 minute 😭 This frightens me! Maybe I should avoid daylight for these next few weeks.

I mean you're probably fine. But post ht when you are still at day 0 your scalp is a raw sensitive exposed open wound still. It seems common to wear a surgical cap 24/7 for the 1st 3 days. 

Plus snow comes in from the atmosphere thru the polluted skyline so its not exactly clean. 

Youre probably fine. Just saying your scalp is essentially a large exposed open wound immediately following surgery. 

Its pretty common to be on edge the first 2 weeks. 

31 minutes ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

I mean you're probably fine. But post ht when you are still at day 0 your scalp is a raw sensitive exposed open wound still. It seems common to wear a surgical cap 24/7 for the 1st 3 days. 

Plus snow comes in from the atmosphere thru the polluted skyline so its not exactly clean. 

Youre probably fine. Just saying your scalp is essentially a large exposed open wound immediately following surgery. 

Its pretty common to be on edge the first 2 weeks. 

Jesus man. That is so scary! You really do need to be so careful with these transplants. I might be best just remaining indoors altogether for the next two weeks. That sucks so much about the snow. It scares me.

I have also similar concern. 

For instance, in my post op instructions is written not to wear a wool cap for the first month and I live in a country with real winter: snow and temperatures below zero. 

I guess that very low temperatures could also have an impact on skin blood flow where grafts are place. Now It is essential to keep a good blood flow and being exposed in very low temperatures will reduce this blood flow temporarily.

How can I protect my grafts from outside temperatures if I can not wear a wool cap?. 

I am looking for some kind of winter cap that does not touch the grafts but it is going to be difficult to find. 

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

• Like 1

@TamagochihandlerI don't think temperature itself matters really, its just the elements (rain/snow) to be concerned about. And I would only be somewhat concerned about rain and snow for the first couple of days. I would follow your post op instructions on a wool cap. Ask your doctor about another type of cap like a baseball cap. Only your doctor is aware of this specifics of your surgery so ask them

@RossybopI'm fairly certain you'll be fine, sorry for the concern. If was just light fleeting snow I wouldn't worry about it. A week from now you might not even remember this worry you are having now. 

For both of you, I would say spend as much time indoors as possible for the first 10 days at least. And anyways, your appearance looks "off", and you are probably sore and sleep-deprived, and your scalps are going to start crusting/flaking shortly, so you probably wouldn't want to hang out with anyone in the first place 🙂

27 minutes ago, Tamagochihandler said:

I have also similar concern. 

For instance, in my post op instructions is written not to wear a wool cap for the first month and I live in a country with real winter: snow and temperatures below zero. 

I guess that very low temperatures could also have an impact on skin blood flow where grafts are place. Now It is essential to keep a good blood flow and being exposed in very low temperatures will reduce this blood flow temporarily.

How can I protect my grafts from outside temperatures if I can not wear a wool cap?. 

I am looking for some kind of winter cap that does not touch the grafts but it is going to be difficult to find. 

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Very difficult situation! Under those circunstances I'd try to stay home as much as possible.

15 minutes ago, DenverBuff1989 said:

@TamagochihandlerI don't think temperature itself matters really, its just the elements (rain/snow) to be concerned about. And I would only be somewhat concerned about rain and snow for the first couple of days. I would follow your post op instructions on a wool cap. Ask your doctor about another type of cap like a baseball cap. Only your doctor is aware of this specifics of your surgery so ask them

@RossybopI'm fairly certain you'll be fine, sorry for the concern. If was just light fleeting snow I wouldn't worry about it. A week from now you might not even remember this worry you are having now. 

For both of you, I would say spend as much time indoors as possible for the first 10 days at least. And anyways, your appearance looks "off", and you are probably sore and sleep-deprived, and your scalps are going to start crusting/flaking shortly, so you probably wouldn't want to hang out with anyone in the first place 🙂

I was thinking it would be good to go back to work next week but maybe its best if I don't. Damn rain now is a danger element to me 😭 The snow I got caught in after my transplant was for about 30 seconds leaving the clinic and getting into the taxi, and maybe 40 seconds getting out of the taxi and into the hotel. It was light fleeting snow yet snowing nevertheless. A few flakes probably definitely landed on my head, its hard to guess how many flakes of snow might have touched my head though.