Hi, 

I am currently 1 month and 3 weeks post FUT transplant and am really worried about my scar. I had suture closure and am concerned I will have a train track or a railroad appearing scar once fully healed. I am praying this is shock loss around the suture sites. I do not believe this is stretching related, as I have not worked out or done any strenuous activity since the procedure.

- Could this possibly be shock loss? 
- If anyone has had a similar healing scar or knows someone who has had one could you please share that story with me? 
- Are there any surgeons who can speak to the appearance of this? 

I am getting monthly PRP injections to the area and using minoxidil twice daily hoping this helps.

Thanks for the advise. 

3F177616-7A9C-482F-A973-E022DF8C97DA.jpeg

Edited by Hair-restoration-advise

This looks like shock loss. Seems that sutures were used. How long were they left in? Who was the surgeon? Did you raise this concern with him/her? How wide was the strip or number of grafts?

You can try minoxidil in that area.

Edited by deitel130

1 minute ago, Hair-restoration-advise said:

Thanks for the reply @deitel130

I see that you have had two FUTs one with sutures and one with staples? Is that correct? Did the sutures leave a worse scar than the staples? 

My suture scar was pretty normal it had stretched on one side just above the ear but it was covered with a #3  guard. My staples scar is still in early stages so far so good I've read it takes about a month to be 80% strength and a good indicator of where it will stand. Shock loss is different. Yours may possibly be shockloss but also seems like the sutures may have been too tight blocking off blood supply or left in longer. I would discuss with the surgeon. In the meantime try some minoxidil.

Who was the surgeon and how many grafts?

I personally think yours is just shockloss. Did you take a pic with flash? Can you take a pic without flash and normal light or even daylight.

I know during early stages we watch everything with such scrutiny. Even on my second surgery I feel the same but it's best to just let things heal for the first few months. It will most likely turn out ok. I don't recall my scar in early stages from my first surgery so I cannot be so sure. 

I would say its shockloss, only because the size of the suture thread they use is nowhere near that thickness of shockloss you are experiencing in that train track formation. you could fit so many hair follicles in those train tracks that there's no way that was done by 1 small piece of suture thread

if that makes sense... lol. just my unprofessional opinion

That pic is much better. Your scar line is hardly noticeable. And the red marks above and below are where the sutures entered. It's definitely not train tracks. The redness you see I also have from my staples and that should fade with time.

• Administrators

That looks like shock loss. Remember it can take several months for the scar to heal. It will get smaller over time.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Hair-restoration-advise said:

Thank you @Melvin-Moderator for the input. Starting to feel a little better. It’s hard for me to not to fixate on things while I’m on the waiting stages. 

That is the hardest part. Don’t think about it, put a hat on and trust in the process.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.