Blood Tests prior to HT

Hello everyone,

So I have my HT booked with Dr. Pekiner soon and I have been asked to undergo a blood test to check for the following things: 

HbsAg (Hepatitis B)

Anti HCV (Hepatitis C)

Anti HIV (HIV)

PT/INR (Prethrombin Test)

Blood count.

I was I could do this at the clinic for 80-90 euros but wanted to see if I can get it cheaper here in the UK? 

And am I right in understanding that it is just one blood test, and then they use that blood sample to test for the above? And does anyone know where I could get this done? I’m near London. 

I’m inclined just to get the test done by the clinic on the day of the HT as one UK clinic quoted me £230 for all tests!

Thanks guys 

• Moderators

They should be taking blood one time and testing it for everything needed. As for cost I imagine it's probably cheaper to have it done in Turkey where Dr Pekiner is than it would be in some other places around the world.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Honestly I have called up a few clinics today and the prices I have been quoted are shocking. £500 plus as they all explained that they charge individually for each test even though they are taken from the same one blood sample. 

I have now messaged Dr. Pekiner’s advisor and requested that the tests are carried out with their partner lab and I had previously been advised this would be 80-90 euros. However I’m not sure if that the price for all tests combined or each individual test? @Portugal25 could you kindly shed some light on this please?

Thanks 

On topic - do it at the clinic for the sheer ease, and also price - you won't find a private clinic cheaper than that anywhere in the UK. 

Slightly off topic - Does anyone know if a patient were to have one of the above conditions (HIV, hepatitis) would they be rejected surgery? 

I ask purely out of interest because, when I had my surgery, I too, chose to have the bloods taken on the morning of surgery at the clinic - and the results took 2 weeks to come back. So it was irrelevant if I was to have any of the above conditions as I had already had the surgery by then. Struck me as being a bit of a pointless exercise, thats all. 

@Curious25 yep, I’ve now arranged for it to be done at the morning of the surgery at the Clinic. 

This was also something that crossed my mind...surely they won’t get the results back before starting the surgery? 

Regarding refusing to do the operation if you test positive.....I think I read somewhere that it’s actually against the law to refuse to do the surgery purely based on a positive result. That being said, they do the tests just so they can be extra cautious in the event of a positive result 

@Ali4981 and @Curious25

Thesr tests are not routinely done everywhere. If a test comes back positive, then that will not mean that the surgery is cancelled. Just more precautions are taken.  

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram