Huge bald spot on crown. How many grafts would I need?

10 hours ago, jc636 said:

Why not?

Because you have no idea what Norwood you're headed for in the future.  If you're gonna be a Norwood 3, 4 or 5 you'll probably be okay, but if you're headed for a 6 or a 7 you will have wasted valuable donor hair on a small crown area of your head, and you're gonna look real awkward with just that patch on your crown.

I suppose you could always go for a repair job and transplant those 1,000 grafts to another part of your head again, but why go through all that??

Why not be patient and see how your baldness pattern progresses first, and then make the necessary transplant(s).

For now I'd stick to meds and Toppik as others have suggested.

Also I think most ethical doctors wouldnt touch your head because of unknown future Norwood progress.

Just my $0.02 worth

I agree with the others, that's not a huge bald spot, just some light thinning. You've recently started using fin and min, wait for a full year at least to evaluate things. You shouldn't consider surgery at all imho. 

My crown area was a lot worse than yours and it has nicely thickened up thanks to many years of meds like fin, dut and minoxidil (both topical and oral). 

Try microneedling too and perhaps a PRP/PRF, but defo not surgery. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Westview said:

Because you have no idea what Norwood you're headed for in the future.  If you're gonna be a Norwood 3, 4 or 5 you'll probably be okay, but if you're headed for a 6 or a 7 you will have wasted valuable donor hair on a small crown area of your head, and you're gonna look real awkward with just that patch on your crown.

I suppose you could always go for a repair job and transplant those 1,000 grafts to another part of your head again, but why go through all that??

Why not be patient and see how your baldness pattern progresses first, and then make the necessary transplant(s).

For now I'd stick to meds and Toppik as others have suggested.

Also I think most ethical doctors wouldnt touch your head because of unknown future Norwood progress.

Just my $0.02 worth

Hmmm. I don't have norwood 6/7 in my family history but I suppose anything is possible. This loss has been like this for 5 years now with no further progression. I'm actually considering getting 1k of beard hair in that spot and not even messing with my scalp donor until absolutely needed.

Edited by jc636

10 hours ago, jc636 said:

Hmmm. I don't have norwood 6/7 in my family history but I suppose anything is possible. This loss has been like this for 5 years now with no further progression. I'm actually considering getting 1k of beard hair in that spot and not even messing with my scalp donor until absolutely needed.

Beard hair is probably a better option, but remember when the bald spot progresses you will still have to fill it in with scalp hair for it to look normal