Huge bald spot on crown. How many grafts would I need?

Decided to finally do something about the massive bald spot on my crown as I’m tired of dealing with it. I’ve gotten estimates of 2-3k grafts. Since I have some hair there, would I need that many? Should I be worried about shocking the hair I have there out of existence leaving me in the same situation I’m in now but with less donor?

86225B8C-3462-4EA6-9D84-47C6EFEB6A74.jpeg

Edited by jc636

• jc636 changed the title to Huge bald spot on crown. How many grafts would I need?

It doesn't look that bad from the picture you provided. It's going to all depend on the doctor you go with as it's the most challenging part of the head to work on. It's also known as the "black hole" as you can always be adding in grafts to improve the appearance. Do you have other pictures? It looks like you'd need on the lower end of the 2k mark.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jc636 said:

Decided to finally do something about the massive bald spot on my crown as I’m tired of dealing with it. I’ve gotten estimates of 2-3k grafts. Since I have some hair there, would I need that many? Should I be worried about shocking the hair I have there out of existence leaving me in the same situation I’m in now but with less donor?

86225B8C-3462-4EA6-9D84-47C6EFEB6A74.jpeg

I think 1.5k grafts sounds about right. Are you on any meds at the moment? 

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

I don't think you need a hair transplant for that kind of thinning, be on meds for few months and I am sure it will improve to the point that you will realize you don't need a surgery. 

And if you are not on any meds and you go for HT then I am afraid you will need another surgery in 2-3 years because of progressive balding.

Be on meds.

• Like 1

• Administrators

No grafts, use toppik.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Unless you mixed up your pictures with Tom Cruise's head, that is not a 'huge bald spot',  it is perhaps a 'lightly thinning crown'.  If that is a worry then throw some Toppik on it like Melvin says.

• Like 4

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

5 hours ago, makehairgreatagain said:

It doesn't look that bad from the picture you provided. It's going to all depend on the doctor you go with as it's the most challenging part of the head to work on. It's also known as the "black hole" as you can always be adding in grafts to improve the appearance. Do you have other pictures? It looks like you'd need on the lower end of the 2k mark.

Yes. This photo was taken in the sunlight.

6B04DAB8-2AF3-45B3-A140-D16DD4121C80.jpeg

I don’t think it’s worth surgery at this point, especially after seeing that pic. And your on meds too. So hopefully it won’t progress any further.

As others have said, a bit of Toppik and job done 😊

Edited by JohnAC71
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

Not sure I would even do a transplant at this stage. Are you on Fin/Minox? 
How’s the rest of your hair looking? 

I’ve been taking minoxidil and started on finasteride about 5 months ago. The rest is fine. Probably mature Norwood 2 in the front.

Edited by jc636

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, jc636 said:

I’ve been using dermmatch with success.

Keep using it, since your hair is in the beginning stages of hair loss, a procedure may do more harm than good. Especially if you experience permanent shock loss. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, jc636 said:

I take finasteride and minoxidil.

How old are you? I agree with the consensus that you should probably hold off on a transplant at this point. 

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

47 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

How old are you? I agree with the consensus that you should probably hold off on a transplant at this point. 

I’m already 35. Not getting any younger at this point.

2 hours ago, jc636 said:

I’m already 35. Not getting any younger at this point.

Your hair loss looks stabilized on min and fin, I think a hair transplant in your case is fine. I thought you might have been under 30. 

• Like 1

Huge bald spot 🤣.  Don't get a HT dude.  Just get on fin.

• Haha 2

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

21 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Your hair loss looks stabilized on min and fin, I think a hair transplant in your case is fine. I thought you might have been under 30. 

I think I'm going to get a small procedure done of 1k grafts to the crown.

23 minutes ago, jc636 said:

I think I'm going to get a small procedure done of 1k grafts to the crown.

Awesome. Best of luck and please keep us posted buddy

• Like 1

It will likely shock out the native hairs in that area, possibly making it look more bald than it does now.  

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

1 minute ago, aaron1234 said:

It will likely shock out the native hairs in that area, possibly making it look more bald than it does now.  

A lot of people have said that. I wonder how common that is. Have modern techniques reduce the incidence of that? With the use of implanter pens and things like that?

• Valued Contributor

Personally I think of treating baldness surgically as working from the front to the back. As voxman has said that's a slightly thinning crown. I totally get that to you it's a 'huge bald spot.' If you have been on meds for at least a year and you feel that your hair has stabilized then I would just stay on the meds and use dermatch as Melvin recommended. Save the grafts for 'if' you need work down the track. All the best!