Help! My son wants $2700 for a 3 step plan

I am father of 2 boys. One is 24 and the other is almost 20. Both met with a Dr. over a year ago who put them on Propecia, vitamins and shampoo treatment. (As I recall the Dr. was the only one in St. Louis that was member of IAHRS.org.)

Well, the younger one has since purchased a laser comb and recently went to another place in St. Louis and this is what I got from him last nite in an email.... "today I met with the Transitions international group at Hans Wiemann. They do transplants which she said cost around $6500; they also have the bio matrix/ wig type deal. For me, they suggested the three step plan which includes scalp stimulation, laser therapy, and pills/ shampoo. She said it would cost $2700 for 104 treatments, two a week. So the whole process would last a year."

I want to help my son, but i don't feel this is the solution. His hairline is receding in front and some loss at the crown. (BTW, his older brother is just thinning primarily on top and I have fine head of hair at 52yo.) How would you suggest i advise my son?

Hey Father of 2,

Don't get tricked in to those "treatments", they are a con at best.

Look into Finasteride (Proscar/Propecia) and Minoxidil (Rogaine). They are the only proven treatments and are very cost effective if you purchase Proscar and split the pill in to 4 or 5.

Spex, Just so you know the contents of your post is missing. ;-)

Father of 2, The only proven treatments for hairloss are: 1)finasteride (propecia/proscar) 2) minoxidal (rogaine) 3) Hair transplant.

The laser comb in my opinion is a scam. I would avoid any of these clinics that try and sell big package deals that include the laser comb, hair systems, shampoos, etc. (They're going to charge your son to rub his scalp? That's ridiculous.)

A good, reputable HT doc will perform HTs only, and prescribe finasteride. Anything else is just to make the clinic money. They are trying to make it seem like all these treatments combined will give your son a full head of hair, and that's just not so.

My advice to your son would be to see a TOP HT doctor. I'd start with Shapiro, Feller, H&W. Many clinics will help pay for travel and lodging if they are out of your area. Also, you should advise your sons to check out these forums. It will open their eyes to a lot of the evils in the Hairloss industry and hopefully steer them in the right direction best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Perhaps you could shave your head in solidarity with your sons?

Seriously though I think the first tactic I would take would be to try to get them to accept their hair loss as normal and to focus on life goals such as education and career. Very difficult I know but long term it is the healthiest path mentally and physically.

Second, and most likely because the youngest sounds like he won't be dissuaded, steer him on the path of proscar and rogaine foam. Have him give this a year to see if he responds or not.

If neither of these work I suppose he could consider a transplant but at such a young age I would advise waiting until at least 28-30.

In summary; acceptance, proscar/rogaine and then acceptance for the time being are really his only viable options. Don't let him make the mistake of wasting money on scams like he's looking into or the mistake of an HT at a far too young age.

Is/was thier materal grandfather bald or thin on top?

Gene dominance or recession can come from either paternal or maternal branch.

Father of 2,

I must commend you on your stance, in that you seem to be open minded about the issue (about the administration of medication) to curb the "problem". A lot of parents hide their heads in the sand and say to their kids, that they look beautiful and nothing is wrong with them, etc. etc.

THE WORST THING A FAMILY MEMBER CAN DO, IS NOT EMPATHIZE AND SYMPATHIZE WITH WHAT ANOTHER FAMILY MEMBER IS EXPERIENCING.

You have received good advice against the use of the laser comb. Take it.

Your kids are young enough to pursue medication only, until (if they so determine) that the need surgical intervention.(after due diligent research into the scope and limitations of surgery).

take care...

i think your two boys are very lucky to have the kind of support that you are giving.

are they aware of this forum?

if not i would point them in this direction regarding support and information regarding their concerns.

Definitely get your son on finasteride (Propecia). Give it at least a year, maybe 2, to see how he responds to it. Transplants should only be considered after you see how he responds to the medication. And if you go down the transplant road, DO NOT just go to closet doc down the street. Introduce your son to this forum and have him research like crazy for the first year or two he is one finasteride.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

The OP has stated that his sons are already on Propecia.

Father of 2, your son is understandably motivated toward this Laser Comb thing by fear and desperation. You are doing the right thing by being supportive, but rational and cautious.

Perhaps your sons could come abooard these forums and the three of you could gain some education and support together.

Get them to do loads of research on this forum. There's no easy way to say that the treatments they want to buy a a load of rubbish, but what you can do to make them feel better is tell them about the ones that do work.

They are on propecia, recommend minoxidil. Recommend a consultation with a hair transplant doc on this site.

They might be unhappy with you, but if you open their eyes to what does work and what solutions there are, it should be fine - and they'll thank you for it. good luck.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

• 3 months later...

Don't go to Hans Wiemann! I spent way too much money there. Their staff is not professional and not educated. They are salesman looking to make money, and will try to squeeze every penny out of you that they can. Also - after I got orders saying that I needed to deploy to Iraq they refused to give the back my remaining balance on my pre-paid laser treatments.

I knew more about hair-loss and hair-loss treatments than their sales staff just from doing my research on the web. For example, they had never heard of shock-loss.

Their doctors don't even work there. Their doctors travel from clinic to clinic throughout the country and try to cram as many operations into one day as possible. You feel like a number.

I got the laser treatment. When they give prospective customers a tour of the facilities they take them through the laser facility and you feel like an exhibition on a museum tour. ALSO - when you arrive for your appointment they are always backed up so you end up waiting for almost an hour before you are even seen.

When they give you your scalp treatments the untrained-staff are so rough on you that they end up ripping your hair out of your head.

Also - the treatments did nothing for me. After 8 months they did a scalp analysis on me (they were supposed to do several of these before the 8 month mark, but forgot). My density did not improve at all. SO they suggested I get the surgery. However, like I said before their SALESMAN (an older lady) knew so little about the operation (e.g., never heard of shock loss, never heard of FUT, etc.) and was so pushy, that they scared me off.

I ended up going to Dr. Paul Shapiro at the Shapiro Medical Group in Bloomington, MN. And he did a great job.

My recommendation - Rogaine x2 daily (yes its works in the front- not just the back), Propecia everyday, and consult with different doctors outside of St. Louis if these don't work (since there really only is Hans Wiemann).

By the way, one HW staff member told me (after she thought I was getting the surgery) that the Lasermax comb works just as well as their expensive laser chairs.

Speaking from personal experience: I have tried all sorts of medications and herbal remedies, from accupuncture to rubbing raw onions on my head! None them have worked, the best advice I can give you is to get your son to start using Finasteride as this is the only drug that has been working for me.