FUT on hairline 8 years ago. FUT or FUE for crown?

2,000 FUT grafts with Dr Feller on hairline and some midscalp 8 years ago - very good result, no scarring issues, no further loss due to meds

When I come to address my crown (probably 3k grafts needed) in a few years, what do you think would be the best method?

I'm very happy to go FUT again because of working from home and because of the old line of thinking that you can maximise your donor by exhausting FUT first. It seems that may indeed be an old way of thinking though.

So... would you suggest FUE or FUT after a positive FUT experience?

Thanks in advance

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

1 hour ago, JohnAC71 said:

Since you have already had FUT I would indeed opt for another. As long as your scar is ok and your laxity is good? 

Thank you. Yep scar is fine, I haven't even seen it since the native hair grew back from shaving down. Laxity seems good to me. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

• Administrators

If you still have laxity, definitely go FUT, it’s cheaper, you already have the scar. Plus you’ll get more grafts. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I just had my second procedure. I've adopted the philosophy that if getting a HT, you should go FUT, FUT, followed by fill in the scar w/ beard, followed by FUE. This strategy is meant to be executed over the course of your life, not overnight (ie — first HT in late 20s, followed by late 30s, etc).

The way I see it, getting the scar filled in with beard hair is just part of the cost and process of getting a FUT HT. I intend to fill my scar as soon as possible.

The only time I think FUE makes sense is if you're much older and just starting to experience hair loss. Someone who is in their early 40s and has receding temples, for example.

• Like 1

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

• Administrators

Cannot wait to see your results flourish 🙌🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

18 hours ago, JohnAC71 said:

Would you go back to Dr Feller? I know Dr Bloxham is with him nowadays.

Hasson & Wong is my preferred choice right now because of their reputations with crowns. I'm a huge Dr Feller fan though and would definitely go back if it was a hairline procedure - Dr. Bloxham seems to be doing great work. Since I've been active on these boards again there have been so many new names with big reputations - would be great if I could stay closer to the UK and get a quality crown surgeon.

14 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

If you still have laxity, definitely go FUT, it’s cheaper, you already have the scar. Plus you’ll get more grafts. 

Thanks Melvin.

12 hours ago, champybaby said:

I just had my second procedure. I've adopted the philosophy that if getting a HT, you should go FUT, FUT, followed by fill in the scar w/ beard, followed by FUE. This strategy is meant to be executed over the course of your life, not overnight (ie — first HT in late 20s, followed by late 30s, etc).

The way I see it, getting the scar filled in with beard hair is just part of the cost and process of getting a FUT HT. I intend to fill my scar as soon as possible.

The only time I think FUE makes sense is if you're much older and just starting to experience hair loss. Someone who is in their early 40s and has receding temples, for example.

Would you still suggest getting the scar filled in even if you wear your hair a bit longer? Interesting to hear your thoughts on FUE considering all the huge FUE cases on the boards these days.... thanks for your reply.

11 hours ago, longjonsilver said:

Like others have said if your laxity is good for fut again. Unfortunately mine is not so when I have a second its fue.

Thanks. Have you tried the laxity exercises? Did you lose laxity after the FUT or was it always bad?

Edited by TommyLucchese

23 minutes ago, TommyLucchese said:

Hasson & Wong is my preferred choice right now because of their reputations with crowns. I'm a huge Dr Feller fan though and would definitely go back if it was a hairline procedure - Dr. Bloxham seems to be doing great work. Since I've been active on these boards again there have been so many new names with big reputations - would be great if I could stay closer to the UK and get a quality crown surgeon.

Thanks Melvin.

Would you still suggest getting the scar filled in even if you wear your hair a bit longer? Interesting to hear your thoughts on FUE considering all the huge FUE cases on the boards these days.... thanks for your reply.

Thanks. Have you tried the laxity exercises? Did you lose laxity after the FUT or was it always bad?

23 minutes ago, TommyLucchese said:

Thanks Melvin.

I didn't think about laxity pre fut with Rahal in 2012 and it was never mentioned in the consultations I had with any Dr. After the ht Rahal said I had a fairly tight scalp and said if I needed another he would only contemplate fue. The donor/scar area didn't clear of all numbness for well over a year so I'm thinking it could be down to tightness  - who knows!

29 minutes ago, TommyLucchese said:

Yes, I would. Ultimately, I believe a time will come when I/we will have to cut our hair cut very short. This is thinking when we're much older. Also, you may wear your hair long today, but maybe you want to wear it short for a while in the near future. I personally would love to cut my sides short, even though my hair style looks fine with sides running long. The fear of my barber going a bit too short and revealing my scar, which happens from time-to-time, would also be a non-issue.

Regardless, if you're trying to optimize your outcome, FUT, FUT, FUE is objectively the best approach. It just requires filling in the scar and a longer healing process — things most people want to avoid, which is understandable. Personally, though, I believe it's best to play the long game.

re: All the hype w/ FUE on the boards thees days ... an overwhelming number of doctors offer FUE almost exclusively, especially all the doctors in Turkey — a popular detestation w/ members on this sub. HTs have become a big business, and FUE delivers a better ROI for doctors. They can churn out more patients per day via FUE than FUT.

Again, the only time FUE makes sense is if you're older and need very little work. I mean, you're talking about need 3K grafts for your crown. It sounds to me like you'll prob want the option for a third procedure in the future, because my guess is you will need a touch up down the road.

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

• Moderators
On 11/10/2020 at 5:54 AM, champybaby said:

Ultimately, I believe a time will come when I/we will have to cut our hair cut very short. This is thinking when we're much older.

Voxman might disagree with you there. I don't think he is ever cutting it  😀

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.