Beard Hair Grafts Benefit vs Disadvantage

If someone runs out of grafts and has sufficient beard grafts is that recommended to use? What are the benefits and disadvantages of beard grafts as a filler between transplanted hair?

How come there are no doctors in North America performing beard graft transplants?

• Moderators

Benefits:

1. It increases the amount of donor hair you can use without needing to deplete the traditional donor area in the back and sides of your head.

2. It increases the amount of hair growing on your head rather than just moving around what you already have.

3. Enables you to get more density to the recipient area or fill in the crown after even you've used up all of your traditional donor area hair.

4. Beard hair generally grows forever while traditional donor area on the sides and back will eventually begin thinning as you get older. Even 90 year old totally bald men can grow thick beards.

Disadvantages:

1. Not many Drs are utilizing beard hair (although more are beginning to), so it limits your list of potential Drs.

2. It's relatively new and not used often, so even some Drs who are doing it may not have enough grown out cases to be able to judge if what they are doing is working well. Also a lot of times it's used as filler which also makes it hard to fully examine results and growth rates.

3. May be more expensive than traditional FUE.

4. Beard hair is usually more coarse, wiry, kinky than scalp hair, so you may be able to feel a difference in texture when you run your fingers through it or comb it. However if it's mixed in with enough traditional donor hair you may not notice.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, anker21 said:

How come there are no doctors in North America performing beard graft transplants?

True & Dorin in NY and Dr Sanusi Umar in CA are 2 that I know of in the USA. I have personally had beard and chest hair done at True & Dorin.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

The truth is that there are not enough surgeons who have ventured into using beard grafts. Even those that have, do not have the experience and skills in being able to harvest enough beard grafts, let alone know where and how they should be placed and mixed with scalp grafts. Have a look at Eugenix and look at the amount of years of experience and training and the results they that are now successfully turning out. That doesn't happen by accident. I had a consultation with Dr Vikram in Melbourne and questioned him on his experience with using beard grafts. He's reply was that he can do it but that it's too difficult to extract. It's not 'too difficult.' It's just that he doesn't have the skill set nor experience in that area which can make or break a result for someone who could benefit by utilizing their beard donor.

• Like 1